Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > The incredible changing page

The incredible changing page
bojangles
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 07:18 AM

Wow. I don�t know where to start on this one. After trying to code using XHTML/CSS and growing weary of the huge number of workarounds necessary to make it all fit together, I finally decided to scrap it all and try for a good, old-fashioned, nested-table layout. Unfortunately, that�s created a whole slew of new problems. Can anyone help fix the following?

IE5 Mac: the graphic section looks good, but the sidebars display ridiculous amounts of space between the first line of text and the balance thereof�a gap that becomes larger every time the user rolls over a menu item. (The gap itself, btw, is not related to the drop-downs; it shows up even with the entire navbar commented out.)

IE6 Win: the graphics and text look fine, but the navbar drop-downs show up behind the graphic (thus rendering them completely invisible, i.e. useless).

NS4: surprisingly functional, but a few quirks. If I can figure out how to fix it, great. If not, oh well. Welcome to the 21st century.

NS7: somehow the table rows are managing to overlap each other. Where did that come from?

Safari: everything looks great. As usual.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

malson
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 11:52 AM

A link to the page in question would be very useful
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Nov 30, 2003, 08:51 AM

Geez� you couldn�t read my mind?

I was doing about a dozen things when I posted that; guess I totally spaced the link.

link
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

skalie
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by bojangles:
IE6 Win: the graphics and text look fine, but the navbar drop-downs show up behind the graphic (thus rendering them completely invisible, i.e. useless).
You could sort that one using the "z-index" css property, but you didn't want to know that, did you?

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 02:14 AM

You could sort that one using the "z-index" css property, but you didn't want to know that, did you?
I only wish it were that simple. The menu�s z-index is set in the DHTML script, which I downloaded from DHTMLcentral.com. I changed the value to 50, but it doesn�t seem to make any difference. (The problem also occurs in Netscape 4.x, but not in anything else.)
—Abraham Lincoln

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by bojangles:
I only wish it were that simple. The menu�s z-index is set in the DHTML script, which I downloaded from DHTMLcentral.com. I changed the value to 50, but it doesn�t seem to make any difference. (The problem also occurs in Netscape 4.x, but not in anything else.)
Is there a reason that there's a conditional write for the menus - one for IE Mac at the end of the document, but one for everyone else at the start? Have you tried simply allowing the contruct method at the end by itself? (I"m not that familiar with Coolmenus)
Computer thez nohhh...

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 09:09 PM

Simon,

Thanks for the response. Actually, yes, there is a reason for the conditional write at the end. I was having the �page jump� problem in IE5Mac before adding the conditional, and doing it the way it is now is supposed to fix that. (Not that it did, mind you�.)
—Abraham Lincoln

Forum Links
Forum Rules