Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Whats the "nub" on the side of my PB?

Whats the "nub" on the side of my PB?
swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 4, 2004, 01:16 PM

Next to the PC Card slot there is that little thing which pops out when you push it. It looks like a little antenna but Im just guessing. What is it?

Also, what do you PC Card slot users find is the most useful device to use with it?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2004, 01:23 PM

It's the built in antenna for the pcmcia card. stick a pcmcia card in and then push the antenna and the built in software will load the card. :grin:

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2004, 02:01 PM

The "antenna" also doubles as the eject button!

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by King Chung Huang:
The "antenna" also doubles as the eject button!
Its just an eject button :-) nothing more.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 4, 2004, 04:12 PM

The answer to question number 1 is contained in your owner's manual, available online here: http://www.info.apple.com/support/ma...html#powerbook

tooki

EDIT: same answer, rephrased.
( Last edited by vmarks; Jan 5, 2004 at 02:07 PM. )

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 4, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
RTFM

tooki
Settle.
I did have a secondary question too if you RMFP (Read my F#@*in Post).

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2004, 07:36 PM

inappropriate admin that was just a wee bit rude.

To answer swiz' second question: I use a CF-PCMCIA adapter for copying images taken with my digital still camera. It's much faster than the USB interface, and works swell with iPhoto.
( Last edited by vmarks; Jan 5, 2004 at 02:02 PM. )

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 08:35 PM

Why is everyone so insincere... the question may be "stupid" to some, but a lot of PB users are new, bought used are are just curious.

Try to be helpful or just take a chill pill!

I notice a lot of bad attitudes recently!

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 10:20 PM

I just want everyone to know, my balls are really huge right now. I'm playing bocci

The little spring-loaded button is for ejecting PCMCIA cards when they've been loaded. When the bay is empty, the nub provides hours of repetitive entertaining as you push it in, hear it click and slide out, push it in and hear it click and stawy, push it in... Like the button CD-ROM trays on old iMacs and the common PC. Wonderful stuff.

I've not found a good use for the PCMCIA slot. I don't need GPS, nor a little hard drive, nor a modem, nor a FireWire slot, nor a wireless networking card, nor a dongle for attaching my camera to the computer. There are many uses for PCMCIA, but Macs have lost of goodies built-in.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 5, 2004, 12:37 AM

After seeing the same questions come up in your forum over and over and over again (question #1 is in the manual, question #2 was recently discussed in detail in a long thread about just that topic), you lose patience at the fact that few people take the time to do a quick search on the forums or with google.

tooki

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2004, 01:49 AM

After seeing the same questions come up in your forum over and over and over again (question #1 is in the manual, question #2 was recently discussed in detail in a long thread about just that topic), you lose patience at the fact that few people take the time to do a quick search on the forums or with google.

tooki
I suppose you would prefer that there be only about eight topics in the whole forum and that they go on forever and ever and ever. There's only so much one can talk about in a PowerBook related forum and sure, the same topics are going to come up again and again. What's the big deal?

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 08:20 AM

If you look at the manual, the eject button is not referenced iin the "additional features" diagram on page eight. It is mentioned on page 38 under PC Cards. By the way there is round button on the right side of the book just past the keyboard does anyone know what........

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2004, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by haunebu:
Mr. ass pirate admin
Ooo. I'm sure your daddy must be proud of you.

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 12:19 PM

Commander Ass Pirate?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 01:39 PM

RTFM

tooki
Did you feel all warm and fuzzy when you sent that one-liner? I'm sure you've never posted a question here that couldn't be found in a manual or on google.

It feels odd reporting an admin's post as abusive. Not that it probably will matter though.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Did you feel all warm and fuzzy when you sent that one-liner? I'm sure you've never posted a question here that couldn't be found in a manual or on google.

It feels odd reporting an admin's post as abusive. Not that it probably will matter though.
It matters, but how much depends on what your expectations are for a response. If you have low expectations, you'll continually be pleasantly surprised.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 5, 2004, 03:09 PM

You guys need to stop beating up on Tooki. RTFM is a perfectly valid response to a question such as this. If the original poster had taken the one or two minutes required to find the section of the manual that referred to it and read that section, he would have saved himself some time. As for searching the forums, I honestly believe that almost nobody does that. I've accepted that as just a fact of MacNN, and I think it contributes to the friendliness of this forum. At least here you don't get shouted down for asking a question that was asked two years ago, like you do on some other boards.

Oh, and if anyone is upset that Tooki used the F-word, keep in mind that "RTFM" is a regular phrase that is used quite often in the computer industry.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 03:24 PM

I do searches periodically and find them generally helpfull. I encourage other to search, although in the case before this thread, a little self-respect would have gone a long way-
about that button to right of the keyboard.....

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:

Oh, and if anyone is upset that Tooki used the F-word, keep in mind that "RTFM" is a regular phrase that is used quite often in the computer industry.
And more's the shame. Common usage doesn't elevate it any.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 10:22 PM

Also, what do you PC Card slot users find is the most useful device to use with it?

I think the most usefull is the slot itself. I use it as a digital camera card reader and maybe a GPS card.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2004, 11:19 PM

I use the pc card slot with an adaptor for my compact flash cards that are in my digital camera.

I don't have to take extra cables, just the adaptor that slots into the side of my camera case (or could be left in the laptop).

No tangles, nothing to forget and faster than using the usb 1.0 cable for the connection. I have it set up so that when I pop in a card full of photos, it automagically saves them to a defined folder and renames the photos according to the time they were taken, hence they're always in a logical order.

We're fortunate with powerbooks that we don't need most of the extras that were so common in the pc world until the manufacturers started to catch up, but I can see things like gps cards as having a use for those that need them.

Interesting to see what other people use,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Forum Links
Forum Rules