Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple to buy Alias?

Apple to buy Alias?
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2004, 08:48 PM

Well, MacNN is saying that someone is looking to buy Alias from CGI. I'm starting to think that it may be Apple.

It kind of makes sense. They could turn Maya in to an iApp, an Extreme App and a Pro version... All from the same application (like Final Cut Pro).

Does anyone know how Apple Purchased some of the other companies in the past to keep it secret?

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2004, 09:06 PM

In general private equity companies have funds that they collected from several high net worth investors (not just one) in order to buy a company.They then restructure the company (esp financial structure, debt/equity structure, ) which often involves letting a lot of employees go. After the restrucuting they try to sell the company again.

If Apple would be buying Alias it would be probably an investment bank or an internal Apple M&A department handling the aqcuisition. So it's probably not Apple that is involved in this transaction.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 04:23 AM

I've always said that they should buy Alias already. I hope they do. Lordy, I hope they do. And then ATI while they're at it, so we can have FireGL cards already.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2004, 05:11 AM

I hope Apple aren't buying Alias for many reasons, some of which are based on how Apple handled the Shake fiasco, and so on, I doubt they are behind this but one thing to think about, if it isn't Apple, then Mac users should be worried, since the buyers will wantto streamline Alias, cost-cut and that means dropping something like the development cycle for the Mac since it's not their main seller.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 06:18 AM

That's one of the reasons I think they should buy Alias. It would make an amazing addition to their pro application suites. I'm unfamiliar with the "Shake fiasco," but if anyone's capable of continuing development of Maya for multiple platforms, I think Apple is. I definitely doubt they would discontinue Maya for other platforms if they bought Alias. I sure hope they buy 'em.

benb
Feb 12, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
They could turn Maya in to an iApp, an Extreme App and a Pro version
There will not be an iApp for CG in the next ten years, if probably ever. There is no home/consumer use for it. Just like Shake.

If they buy them, they probably won't even change the name, at least not right away.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
That's one of the reasons I think they should buy Alias. It would make an amazing addition to their pro application suites. I'm unfamiliar with the "Shake fiasco," but if anyone's capable of continuing development of Maya for multiple platforms, I think Apple is. I definitely doubt they would discontinue Maya for other platforms if they bought Alias. I sure hope they buy 'em.
The 'Shake fiasco' is apparently the decision Apple made to axe Shake on Windows and IRIX and to have priced Shake 2x as high for Linux than Mac.

Personally I think it is so eevil it is downright cute. Steve Jobs pulls a Bill Gates and everybody goes nuts. Go figure.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2004, 04:57 PM

Ok guys, got the lowdown on the deal. I'ts not Apple, definitely not Apple behined it.

Like the press release said, Alias want to go it alone, to be independant, and I guess they just wanted some capital to do it.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by rezonate:
Ok guys, got the lowdown on the deal. I'ts not Apple, definitely not Apple behined it.

Like the press release said, Alias want to go it alone, to be independant, and I guess they just wanted some capital to do it.
Makes sense... I bet SGI would like them to go away as well...

Forum Links
Forum Rules