Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Font problem with tiger

Font problem with tiger
Sakino
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 11:32 PM

It seems as if my default font for tiger is screwed up? I dont know how to explain it, but i took a picture. The boldness of the text doesn't look clean. This goes for when i click on an icon, or visit websites. It has a fuzzy appearance to it.
Here is a picture
https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jdrupert...ontproblem.jpg

Is there any reported problem with this. The same goes for the macnn messageboard on the bar that says User CP/FAQ/Members List/Calendar/ETC. It just doesn't look right.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 01:46 AM

Ohh and btw I did change my settings under SystemPref/Appearance/Font smoothing style/medium/8

JKT
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 10:56 AM

It looks absolutely fine to me, but it could be that the degree of smoothing has changed for you which is making it look different to what it was before. Open Sys Prefs>Appearance and play with the Font Smoothing Style. Note, you will have to quit and relaunch an app to see a new selection take effect (and logout back in to see it for all apps).

Filburt
May 3, 2005, 04:47 PM

My setup looked terrible out of the box as well. After making sure font smoothing is set to automatic, calibrate your display (System Preferences | Displays). Just to be safe, reboot or logout/login (resets all running applications to new schemes). Fonts should look quite a bit better.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 09:55 PM

I still have this text problem, they seem to be bulky and fuzzy. This is after I changed the settings and restarted :/

MGLXP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 11:32 PM

Try changing the Font Smoothing Style (in System Preferences->Appearance) to Standard - best for CRT, and then restart your computer. Let me know if this helps.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
May 4, 2005, 04:51 PM

Nope I did that, i tested all the smoothing styles. I am on a 15inch al pb, it just seems to be kind of fuzzy!
Here is a new image:
https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jdrupert/web/font2.jpg

See how fuzzy the text is with the menu bar(for the macnn forum) with the User CP/FAQ/Members List/Calendar/ETC. Also see the MACNN news in the back window and how close the text is.

Burke
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 05:07 PM

Quite noticeable to me as well.

OS X "overbolds" certain fonts, especially Verdana and Franklin Gothic Medium, to where they seem to have no defined edges and become "blobby." No setting or tweak has been able to improve it, so I just chalked it up as something I have no control over and accepted it.

That being said, I find XP's font smoothing superior for certain fonts (like Verdana), and OS X's for others. Just gotta learn to live with it.

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
May 4, 2005, 05:18 PM

Ughh I didn't notice it before. Maybe it wasn't as bad with 10.3, but 10.4 is really BAD!

ul1984
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sakino
Nope I did that, i tested all the smoothing styles. I am on a 15inch al pb, it just seems to be kind of fuzzy!
Here is a new image:
https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jdrupert/web/font2.jpg

See how fuzzy the text is with the menu bar(for the macnn forum) with the User CP/FAQ/Members List/Calendar/ETC. Also see the MACNN news in the back window and how close the text is.
that still surely looks like LCD subpixel font smoothing to me.

this is how MacNN looks like for me using "Standard - best for CRT" screen1.png

(i usually use minimum font size of 12 in Safari, because fonts doesnt look very nice below size 12, too few pixels to render a font properly, but disabled it for this screenshot)

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
May 4, 2005, 07:18 PM

Updated: https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/jdrupert/web/font3.jpg

As you can see I updated it, it looks better with the smaller fonts now on the macnn news page. Although you notice the forums menu bar still looks bad. Also the text under my icons looks kind of pixely, BUT I fixed that by increasing the size of my icon text under the /view/show view options!

As you can see the appearance text menu is up, I was wondering if this is what your settings are at. I understand that most webpages have their text size set, so this might not solve the problem.

ul1984
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 09:13 PM

http://web.telia.com/~u60527006/screen2.png

and yes my settings in the Apperance tab in safari prefs, are exactly the same as yours

Filburt
May 5, 2005, 02:02 PM

According to AppleInsider report, upcoming 10.4.1 release will address the font issue. So perhaps your issue will be addressed.

jlemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2005, 12:04 PM

Ugh - I have a brand new 17" powerbook, and the exact same problem as Sakino. Fonts in a reversed video background (like highlighting a menubar) look bad. Bold font in reverse video (like the MacNN menu bar) really stinks. It looked nowhere this bad in 10.3.9.

The only solution I've found is to turn off text smoothing (for 12 and smalller), which in turn makes the text look jaggy. I really hope 10.4.1 fixes this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules