Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Font Book-Copy Preference

Font Book-Copy Preference
Richard Clark
Senior User
May 25, 2005, 10:47 AM

Hello,

We have some departments that want to turn off certain fonts through font book. This will affect around 60 workstation.

I have made the changes to my Font Book and then copied with Apple Remote Desktop the preference (users/(account)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.FontBook.plist) to a workstation (users/(account)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.FontBook.plist. This did not work. I restarted the workstation, checked the permissions for the preference file but can not get to have the setting from my workstation work on another workstation. I also manually installed the copy of my preference but to no avail.

I don't want to log-in to 60+ workstations and configure each one's Font Book.

Any ideas, tips, tricks or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 03:47 PM

Is this a font that you no longer will be needing? Can it just be deleted or moved so it cannot be loaded? You could delete a font on 60+ machines using ARD in about a minute depending the file path is the same for each machine. Just an idea!

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
May 25, 2005, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the response. Deleting the fonts is a possibility. But some of them that we are turning off are major ones (Courier,Helvetica, Times, Times New Roman etc.)

The reason for turning of these fonts is to avoid conflict the the Adobe Font Folio 8 that we use. So we want to turn off all of the Apple fonts that have the same name. Font managment problems has been something we've fought with for a long time. Almost all workstations have Extensis Suitcase. The department that has requested changes has asked that we turn off the System Fonts through Suitcase.

We create catalogs with Quark. The font is always non-stop. Trying to standardize and get the departments to make decisions on what they will or won't use is a lost cause.

We are looking into Extensis Suitcase Server which would be nice to manage from one workstation pusing it out. We're a couple months from that.

Thanks again for the response.
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 05:01 PM

Have you tried making the necessary changes on a "client" machine (not yours), stealing the Font Book .plist, and then using that preference file to deploy out to another client machine? Are the Font Book fonts/collections identical on all client machines by chance?

(Post #4,000...w00t!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules