Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Headhunters and Placement Agencies - Inept?

Headhunters and Placement Agencies - Inept?
Y3a
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2005, 07:17 AM

My wife has been looking for a new job as a Senior Admin Assistant.
Her resume' clearly states over 10 years doing that sort of job,
and the types of folks she has had to deal with.

Why is it that the "HR/Placement" folks don't read resume's, or don't understand them???
It's not that hard.
She even has her salary REQUIREMENTS,
but the HR type seems to miss that sentence too.

They call her at noon expecting her to be at some interview at 3PM,
and they never ASK if she's available, they just sign her up.

She has been to more than a few agencies and the level of incompetence is pretty consistant.

Are all the Placement joints as poorly run/staffed/organized?

Any of YOU ever get results?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 29, 2005, 07:52 AM

Who is she working with? Some agencies are worth their weight in gold, while others...just aren't. Established firms like Snelling are typically good all around. And surprisingly, some temp agencies, like Kelly, are good at both finding temp work and permanent positions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2005, 07:54 AM

I can only speak for the IT industry where I work - but never do they actually read your resume in its entirety (at least in my experience). Hell, I now work for mid-sized consulting company (PGA Tour stop in DC) and the HR staff here aren't that much better. And they're supposed to be technical.

But in their defense, I'm sure recruiters/HR staff also get gazillions of resumes a day (our HR dept average 10K a day) so it really is hard for them to actually READ all of them. I have never actually had someone schedule an interview without my consent though. The thing is, I don't think you can rely solely on them. Its just another avenue in addition to what she's doing herself.

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding? I remember all the one's I delt with asked how I'd like to be contacted, best days for interviews etc.... maybe for some reason, the recruiter misunderstood and thought your wife can be available at anytime??

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2005, 07:57 AM

Hmm, I think they are all bad. I've been through a few agencies, but all you really get is lies. Of the jobs I've had so far (3 engineering jobs), the first was applied for directly to the company, the second was a speculative application (a friend told me they were looking) and the third and current one was through an agency.

The last one is funny since the agencies description of the company (never named the actually company) meant I knew EXACTLY who it was because of the industry I'm in. I therefore knew I'd be ok for an interview even though I didn't match the agencies criteria just because I was already in the same industry. But I still had to fight and argue with the agency to get them to put me forward to the company. Suprisingly (NOT) enough I got an interview and the job - and then the agency had the cheek to expect me to be grateful to them.

Job agencies are full of wankers who couldn't get proper jobs themselves

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2005, 01:16 PM

She needs a new agency. I found my current job through an agency, and the guy I worked with was absolutely amazing. If/when I decide to start looking for a new job, he'll be my first call.

It was Andiamo! Group if you're curious. I worked with Rhon.

Y3a  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2005, 04:59 PM

Ya know anybody in Northern VA that is qualified and professional?? Me neither...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Ya know anybody in Northern VA that is qualified and professional?? Me neither...
Move to SF, the weather's much better. I don't know a single person who actually likes living in Virginia/DC, and that's where my family's from.

Forum Links
Forum Rules