Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Accounts in Panther

Accounts in Panther
lastcrime14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 11:19 AM

How do i create new accounts in panther without accesing system preferences because my computer has forgotten my accounts and i can't log in now

iYeat
Aug 28, 2006, 04:41 AM

If you have a Panther Install disc, you can boot off of that disc and access the "Utilities" menu after choosing your language in the installer.

There should be an option to reset your password from this menu. I believe you just have to choose which volume the OS is installed on and then change the password for whichever user you'd like.
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

rem
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2006, 06:04 AM

You see, this is what ticks me off about OS X. Where's the flipping adduser script? I found one on-line which supposedly will work:

http://www.dreness.com/bits/tech/adduser

...but it should be where it should be, which is where the unix gods put it, which is in sbin.

Its great to add all this GUI stuff on top which is user friendly, but someone please tell Apple to stop mucking w/ the underlying standard stuff. Every other *nix which is worth a squat has this capability.

How hard is it really to understand there will be those who want to ssh to a remote OS X machine and don't like or refuse to buy ARD (which looks like a Windows-ish solution)? Apple did not leave us the possibility to do everything with ready made scripts and its not possible to remote display Aqua apps. Looks like they are trying to make it hard to work without ARD.

I see these as Marketing beats Engineering decisions. Maybe it does not seem like much, but its a turn-off to those who could be among the strongest supporters/advocates.
( Last edited by rem; Aug 28, 2006 at 06:21 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules