Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Buying A Mini - Need advice

Buying A Mini - Need advice
Richard Clark
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 12:10 AM

Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing a MacMini here shortly. This will be replacing my old G4/450 DVD RAM/Zip, 768 MG RAM, 40 & 80 GB HD with a Sony CD-R/RW attahced. I would love to get a new MacPro but do not have the money. The Mini is affordable and will do the trick for us (pics, some video editing for DVD burning for the family videos, web browsing, word procesing, etc.) It will be the 1.8 GHZ Dual Core. So I am going with the high end for a faster processor, bluetooth and the Superdrive. I've got a couple questoins since I've been out of the game for over a year on Macs.

1. Where to order the extra RAM ? Apple or 3rd Party?

2. Same question but regarding Hard Drives?

3. Where to purchase the Mini itself?

My wife is an elementary school teacher. So I'm leaning towards the Apple Store ($779.00 -low end 1.8 Dual core) with the educators discount unless someone knows of a better place???

Any tips, tricks or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 02:14 PM

I would say you can get some RAM from Crucial . . . i'm sure you can find a good deal on techbargains or somewhere . . . I don't think Mac Mini Ram Prices have come down just yet to buy Apple Ram.

Hard Drive - I hope you're not going to be doing too much video editing because the 2.5 Drive in the Mini is slow compared to my iMac. Other than that . . I say just get the 80GB and save your money for a Firewire External.

Use your wife's education discount. I think that's the best deal on the net for mini's!

Good Luck!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2006, 07:54 PM

You know despite Apple having high RAM prices, they still are a good deal, considering that the Mac mini is very hard to open.

I bought myself a Mac mini (1.83ghz Core Duo) with 2gb RAM, which only brought the cost to $225 more. 1 gb of memory was only $99, then there is shipping, in the end didn't require that I open the machine.

Considering getting the top of the Mac mini, fully loaded (2gb RAM 120gb HD plus 1.83ghz) was only a difference of $50-60 plus you get the superdrive.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2006, 08:15 PM

1. The Mac Mini is the only machine I'd recommend buying Apple memory for. If you do decide to buy 3rd party, add in the cost of a putty knife.

2. Even harder to replace than the RAM, and only notebook hard drives will fit. I'd buy external storage.

3. Apple Education Store

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Sep 22, 2006, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

From what I've researched, it will be cheaper to buy the RAM upgrade from Apple and have them do it then try to buy from a third party (i.e. Data Memory Systems, Other World Computing).

And I'm planning on using the education discount my wife can get.

On the HD side, I'm considering getting one of the mini stacks. A 150 or 250 GB drive would be nice to have

The other thing I might add on too is the mighty mouse and keyboard - both wireless. It would be nice to use the bluetooth more than just with my Treo 640. Plus we're curently unsing a logitech wireless mouse. The more I can eleminate extra usb devices, cables and transmitters, it would be nice.

It' weird. My wife is in full support of everything. I feel I need to justify but she's like "whatever" and in full support of what I decide. That's cool!!!

"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2006, 06:51 PM

ORDER QUICKLY, before she changes her mind
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

Hiramw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 07:31 PM

Hi,

I think the Mac Mini is a very cool machine. However, if you are going for a tricked out top of the line Mini I really think you should at least consider the iMac 17" 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo machine.

For just a bit more money than the maxed out Mini, the iMac 17" 2.0GHz gains you a built-in iSight, noticeably faster processor with 64-bit support, ATI x1600 GPU for good 3D performance and a very nice 17" LCD display. And you will have the ability to use your current monitor side by side with the internal one.

Hiram

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2006, 01:09 AM

I agree with Hiramw, if you are going to max out the Mac mini, then perhaps a iMac is better suited for you, plus alot better.

In my case, I just need the computer to runa couple of Windows programs, so I don't need to attach a monitor or keyboard/mouse to it, though I will need some type of remote connections.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2006, 09:12 PM

With all the upgrades you're interested just get the entry 17" imac with 1gb ram the price disfference after edu discount honestly will not be that much. Since you're upgrading from the old g4 you need a new screen anyways, and even if not just span them.
Boom, done.

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2006, 10:53 PM

I appreciate all of the suggestions and comments. Thank you!

Last Saturday, September 23rd our Apple Store here in Omaha, NE opened it's doors for the first time. I couldn't be there due to a job in Easter Iowa *major bummer* The one chance to finally go to a cool grand opening and I had to work.... BUT, you know when you have a GOOD wife. She went in stood in the long line. (needless to say she wasn't too happy - she said ) But she toughed it through the line and bought:

Mac Mini 1.85 GHZ Dual Core (80 GB HD)
1 GB RAM
Wireless Keyborad
Wireless Mighty Mouse
M.S. Office 2004 for Educators

And two free T-Shirts! There weren't any grab bags.... which seemed weird considering it seems like most of the stores that open have them. Or is that just for NY and LA (the BIG stores)????

Anyhow, she got everything Saturday. I got home Sunday night at 10 PM and decided to set everything up. It went well. I hooked the G4 up to it with a firewire cable and everything transferred without a hitch. The speed is really nice to have. Not to mention a lot more room for the desk. The performance is decent. I'm really please. The keyboard and mouse are cool. It was nice how everthing linked up when I started up the MacMini for the first time.

So I'm up and going as well as very pleased. The Mrs. likes it too!!! Thanks again everyone!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules