Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express profiles and travel questions

Airport Express profiles and travel questions
iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2009, 06:33 PM

I've had one of these before, and just got another to extend my wireless network (since the Airport Extreme is down in the basement and giving me something like 1-2 bars -- ugh).

I have a profile set up to extend the Extreme network-- it's working perfectly. I have an 'away' profile setup with "Join a wireless network" with no networks (actually, it has to have something in these fields, or it won't save). The question is, if I were to go to a hotel room or other networked area to create or extend an existing network, what 'default' settings would be available to 'see' the Airport Express and set it up for the situation. Essentially, if I forget to change the profile to 'away' before traveling, I run into the likely hood of not 'seeing' the device when away and requiring a full reset, losing my 'home' profile, if I recall correctly from previous ownership.

That is, what was the default setting for the Express so that you could join and share networks, etc?

Thanks!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2009, 04:51 AM

In English?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 20, 2009, 10:14 AM

If you forget to change the profile, you'll get a message that none of your preferred networks are available. That should be enough of a reminder to change to the "away" profile, don't you think? Nothing bad will happen, nothing permanent will happen, you just won't connect because the device will be looking for a network that isn't there...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2009, 01:51 PM

@Simon: So, I was saying, I have a "home" profile now. What happens when I want to make it an access point, and a new profile (obviously with AirPort Utility) to "create" a wireless network while traveling, with an existing network?

I was mentioning I remember doing this before (travel with an AirPort Express and (roaming?) profiles), but don't remember what the procedure was, or if the initial setup I had mentioned would be a Catch-22 (can't connect, reboot, lose my home profile). You dig? If not an issue, I can't remember the procedure to make it a wireless access point while in hotel room/apartment, etc.

Hopefully without losing the home profile; what settings should I have before leaving?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2009, 03:00 AM

Just set up two profiles. Switch between them whenever you want. You don't have to switch to the travel profile before you travel. The worst thing that could happen is you don't get a network connection at which point you remember you should switch profiles.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2009, 06:40 PM

What should the travel profile look like?

Thanks.

Yes, I'm mentally challenged.

Forum Links
Forum Rules