Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgraded graphics card for Power Mac G5?

Upgraded graphics card for Power Mac G5?
bojangles
Senior User
Apr 13, 2009, 11:48 AM

My Rev. A Power Mac G5 is still doing great after all these years, but it’s starting to choke on video. Specifically, the video lags behind the audio in a lot of situations, not the least of which is videoconferencing (which I do with both family and clients).

Can anyone recommend a graphics card upgrade? I’m currently using the stock ATI Radeon 9600 Pro in the 8× AGP slot, but I’m guessing there’s got to be something faster/better, by now!

Thanks in advance!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2009, 08:10 PM

A graphics card upgrade isn't going to help with video playback. Sounds like a CPU performance issue.

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2009, 04:06 PM

Okay, I’ll believe you, but can you explain this to me a little more? I would think that by having a faster graphics card with more RAM, it would allow the GPU to handle the video more efficiently while the CPUs take care of other things (e.g. audio, other unrelated processes, etc.).

Thanks again!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2009, 05:44 PM

Apple was very late to the GPU accelerated video playback game; only the latest MB(P)/Mm with the nVidia chipsets support GPU accelerated video decoding. So regardless of the video card in your G5, the CPU is doing all the work.

There are some better cards out there for gaming/pro app work (which do take advantage of the GPU), although they're still years old (AGP was deprecated years ago) and the Mac versions are quite pricey.

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Apr 15, 2009, 03:24 AM

Ah, gotcha. So basically I can get a better card (e.g. the Radeon 9800, which was a BTO option for my machine), but video playback will be affected minimally, if at all. Unfortunate, but logical. Thanks for the tip!
—Abraham Lincoln

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2009, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Ah, gotcha. So basically I can get a better card (e.g. the Radeon 9800, which was a BTO option for my machine), but video playback will be affected minimally, if at all. Unfortunate, but logical.
The irony is that could go and buy a $599 Mac mini that would blow your PM out of the water. Now obviously the PM has other advantages the Mac mini simply can't compete with, but in terms of raw CPU power (your videoconferencing issue) a 2.0 GHz Penryn Mac mini for $599 would really do the trick.

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Apr 15, 2009, 04:56 AM

The irony is that could go and buy a $599 Mac mini that would blow your PM out of the water. Now obviously the PM has other advantages the Mac mini simply can't compete with, but in terms of raw CPU power (your videoconferencing issue) a 2.0 GHz Penryn Mac mini for $599 would really do the trick.
Good point, but yeah, I don’t think I’ll be switching to a mini as my main computer, any time soon. Great machine for what it’s designed for, but definitely not for my needs.

Still, you’re right: once Snow Leopard comes out, it’ll all be downhill from there. The software I need to do my job will quickly go Intel-only, and I’ll have no choice but to upgrade. Now the question is: Mac Pro or MacBook Pro? Hmmmmm….
—Abraham Lincoln

mdaillie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2009, 02:42 PM

I have a G5 Dual 2 GHz PowerPc and last year I changed the original graphics card for an ATI Radeon X800 XT. It was in rather short supply in France where I live and I don't thing the Mac version was produced in very large numbers but it is certainly a vast improvement over the previous card. I am mainly involved in photos but have noticed an overall improvement in performance. The only drawback is the noise of the extra fan on the card, but I don't really notice it anymore.

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Apr 22, 2009, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the real-world scenario, mdaillie. I really appreciate it! :-)
—Abraham Lincoln

Forum Links
Forum Rules