Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Intel SSD died

Intel SSD died
iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2010, 01:59 AM

Thing took a huge dump. Not showing up under any utilities. Using the stock drive now. Sigh.

So, what simple cable adapters (don't need a whole enclosure, I guess) can I use to plug this in and try to recover some data (yeah, everything is backed up, except other people's stuff in the family)?

Thanks.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Oct 13, 2010, 05:27 AM

Maybe something like this? SATA/IDE Hard Drive 2.5" 3.5" 5.25" HDD and Optical Drive USB Adapter from CoolDrives.com . I've never tried it, so I can't vouch for its reliability.

Do you have a Mac Tower? All you should need is something with either a native SATA interface (the lower bay of a G5 works well for this purpose), or a G4 with a SATA PCI card. The SATA connectors on 2.5" and 3.5" drives are identical.

Or, you can look for a used 2.5" external drive. The LaCie Rugged triple-interface (silver with the bright orange bumper) use SATA drives and work well for external testing of 2.5" SATA drives.

Good luck.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2010, 12:54 PM

My wife has an Mac Pro.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2010, 01:24 PM

NewerTech makes one:

NewerTech USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter

The thing about these, though, is that they tend to be more expensive than a simple 2.5" USB enclosure would be. The ability to attach to pretty much any kind of drive would be undeniably useful as a troubleshooting tool, though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2010, 06:28 PM

Thanks.

I thought this was kinda cool, and I may not even have to keep it in the case or use an AC brick:

2.5" USB 2.0 SATA Hard Drive HDD Case Enclosure

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2010, 01:12 AM

So the next question is, since I have to have something setup on my HDD, what do folks normally use to clone the new drive? CCC, still, or? And can you clone the boot(ed) drive?

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
NewerTech makes one:

NewerTech USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter

The thing about these, though, is that they tend to be more expensive than a simple 2.5" USB enclosure would be. The ability to attach to pretty much any kind of drive would be undeniably useful as a troubleshooting tool, though.
Sounds awesome. And inexpensive.

Unfortunately, Amazon reviews suggests a scarily large % of buyers get lemons. ...and poor NT service:
Amazon.com: Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter - connects ATA/IDE/SATA to USB2 - 2.5", 3.5" HDs & 5.25" Op: Electronics
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2010, 10:49 AM

Those USB to SATA/IDE adaptors have their uses, but they are flaky enough with good drives, let a lone bad ones.

If you have access to a Mac Pro, just whack it straight in. That'll work fine.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kkolfan
Baninated
Oct 30, 2010, 03:18 AM

I am new here and read this article and agree with this article.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Oct 30, 2010, 03:26 AM

I am new here and read this article and agree with this article.
Welcome! Thanks! Looks as though you'll have much to contribute to this place. (Don't tell anyone, but I agree with the article too.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules