Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple seeks HTC penalty for uncooperative expert witness

Apple seeks HTC penalty for uncooperative expert witness
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 11, 2012, 04:32 PM

Apple is seeking US International Trade Commission court sanctions against HTC based on the testimony of one of its expert witnesses. HTC's witness Michael J. Geile repeatedly deferred to HTC's lawyers when pressed about his "inventions" with parent company ADC Telecommunications and is essentially saying nothing of substance to the judge when questioned, despite his obligation to do so before the court.

A letter from Apple to Administrative Law Judge Thomas Pender quoted Geile repeatedly. In one case, Geile said "I don't think I'm qualified to say that - what the invention was in this." When pressed, he stated that "I'm saying that the attorneys will interpret whether there is [an invention] or not, that I'm not qualified to interpret that." According to patent analyst Florian Mueller, Geile is saying with his refusals to answer that "he has no idea why he signed a patent application in the first place" and Geile "basically refuses to say anything substantive at all." Apple, in its statement declared that "Mr. Geile's refusal to testify as to the subject matter of his claimed invention necessarily precludes him from testifying about any conception of said invention" and requests that "an adverse inference be drawn against HTC with regard to conception and reduction to practice." Apple is arguing that HTC's patents are invalid, and failing that, that HTC's patents-in-suit are standards-essential, and as such, subject to fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory (FRAND) licensing terms. Supporting Apple's position is an ITC ruling in which an inventor's refusal to testify about his patented invention was declared to be a "pattern of discovery abuse" that was essentially "obstruction of important and significant discovery." HTC and Apple have been dueling in court since Apple launched a patent infringement suit against the company in early 2010. HTC has been forced to borrow patents from others or claim Apple is infringing patents that are in fact standards-essential in order to mount counter-claims. The failed strategy has caused HTC and others being investigated in both the US and Europe for abusing FRAND-eligible patents.

Bobfozz
Sep 11, 2012, 06:59 PM

Korean liars and their lackeys continue unabated.
They have NO SHAME at all.
Tim Roth on "Lie to Me" would have had a field day with them.

A grain of salt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bobfozz View Post
Korean liars and their lackeys continue unabated.
They have NO SHAME at all.
Tim Roth on "Lie to Me" would have had a field day with them.
Um, what has this to do with Koreans?

If you want to attack someone, at least make sure you are attacking the right someone.

Malcolm Owen
Sep 12, 2012, 03:26 AM

A grain of salt is very much correct. HTC is primarily based in Taoyuan City in Taiwan. Not Korean.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2012, 04:30 AM

Would I be off-base in guessing that the person who has just thus embarrassed himself is American?

macnscott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2012, 11:53 AM

What the heck does being an American or not have to do with someone not knowing that HTC is a Taiwanese company? Geez, talk about calling the kettle black.

I would imagine that since the website is primarily related to products and services provided by an American company (Apple) AND that the website is in American English, a far fetched guess might be that the largest majority of readers (and forum posts) are American.

Forum Links
Forum Rules