Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The choices I have to make...

The choices I have to make...
WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Sep 6, 2003, 12:15 PM

Here I am, at a stand-still. I've weighed the pros and cons, and here I am, no idea what to do.

I'm up for a new computer, and have around $3000 to spend. I'm also a student, so I get the education rates.

I'm obviously posting here because I want a G5. But which?

I don't have a monitor, since I currently have an iBook.

Do I get the 1.8, and get the nice 17-inch LCD monitor...somethign that I've been used to, with my 12-inch iBook screen?

For the same price..do I get a Dual 2 Ghz, and get a...17 inch CRT?

The CRT could kill my eyes...I have bad vision, and i LOVE LCDs. But...the dual 2 is just a tad faster than a single 1.8.

There's the idea that Dual 2 might be overkill for me...I use Photoshop from time to time..and I'd be using iDVD and iMovie, etc. etc.

Then there's the idea that I could eventually get enough money to buy the LCD later. I'll be working, etc. etc, and could get one sooner or later.. (who knows..maybe after they revamp the line to match the G5's? I love speculation )

So, i'm faced with a problem. Do I go for an overkill computer that'll last me years upon years and have a crappy CRT? (Remember the whole "buying the top-o-the-line mac" factor...I HAVE been struggling with a 500 Mhz G3 iBook for 2 years and I'm absolutely sick of it). Or do I go for the 1.8 Ghz and the LCD monitor? 1.8 might not last me as long...but I'd get a very pleasurable experience using it.

The more I think about it, the more pros and cons jump in my head.

"You can get the LCD later" vs. "I want it now!"
"Top of the line mac, baby!" vs. "You'll never use that much power!"

Oy, I'm ferklempt....discuss..

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2003, 12:23 PM

Coulding you have a 2Ghz with a different monitor, smaller LCD monitor?
we don't have time to stop for gas

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2003, 02:00 PM

I think the 1.8 would be fine for your uses. I'm using a new G4 1.25 SP w/2GB RAM and it's pretty much overkill for me. I use it for iLife apps, Photoshop, Indesign, occasional UTGOTY, and Office. I purchased it with a 17" Samsung 172T for ~$1700. I'm planning on using the G4 for a few years (and upgrading it periodically), then switching to a G5 and 20" LCD ~2 years from now.

If I were you, I'd go for the 1.8 and a nice 17/18" LCD. You could use any extra money for upgrades (RAM, HDs, etc). I think the Dual 2 Ghz would be overkill for most apps anyway. Of course I've never used one yet, especially with Panther (which is supposed to be optimized for G5s). Also, just as with all PMs, the price of the G5s will drop once new PM G5s start appearing (within a year?). Maybe Apple will offer Dual 4Ghz PMs in a year for the same price?

Of course if getting a maxed out Dual G5 and 23" Apple LCD only cost me a day's salary, I'd do it in an instant.

Good luck and don't torture yourself too much! This is one of those "fun" dilemmas

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2003, 02:26 PM

no
A monitor can be upgraded, an entire computer, not so easily.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2003, 02:31 PM

For $3000, you can get a dual 2GHz G5 (2700) and a 17" third party LCD monitor (300) and you'll be happy. You can always upgrade the monitor later if you have more cash.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by WinsOBoogi:
Here I am, at a stand-still. I've weighed the pros and cons, and here I am, no idea what to do.
Save your money and buy a dual 1.4GHz G4.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2003, 03:06 PM

Definitely hit up the Dual 1.42 for a good price. But if you must go G5... Apple's 20" is good for the price, buuut, you can get a great third party monitor (Saumsung and Sharp make great ones) for less - Samsung 172T (17" widescreen, 16:9) for around $580 if you look.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2003, 03:35 PM

Go for the dual 2.0 and just make sure your CRT monitor is of good quality. Then you can upgrade to a nice LCD later. Besides the way the prices are dropping on LCD's, you will just get more for less when you are ready to upgrade. Wouldn't that Dual with a 20' LCD a year from now be nice?

And my personal opinion is buy more computer then you need now, and it will last you longer. If you only buy as much as you need now, it will be insufficient next year.

My first Mac ran off of dual 800k floppies. When I upgraded it to 1 meg of RAM and a 20 meg hard drive, I thought it would last forever. Now days you couldn't even load a modern operating system on a 20 meg hard drive.

Trust me, you will find ways to use the extra power of the dual G5, and the G4's will not keep up. Before we reach years end, you will not only see Panther (early next month) but also you will see many optimized apps that will make the G5 fly.

idyll
Senior User
Sep 6, 2003, 05:54 PM

Buy a flat CRT and you'll be fine. I'd go for the dual G5 - it will last you much much longer.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2003, 01:26 AM

A dual would be great long-term, but if you get the dual now, you might not have enough money to add the RAM it needs, or extra drive space, and you'll have to live with a CRT you don't want until you can afford an LCD you do want.

I'd consider getting a 1.6 or 1.8 now, add plenty of RAM and drive space, and get the LCD monitor you want. The 1.6 or 1.8 will probably keep you happy for a good while, then later on trade up to a dual if you want. By then, the duals will be even faster and cheaper.

In 6 months, which will you consider a greater deprivation: the lack of an LCD, or the lack of a dual?

idyll
Senior User
Sep 7, 2003, 01:49 AM

If you're getting an LCD just to gain more space and go with the flow, I'd get the dual G5 and a CRT. One thing that I think should be mentioned is the effect of fluorescent lights. Incandescent is bad enough, but fluorescent is mind numbing. A fluorescent light flickers at 60Hz(in USA).

And if you don't believe that and you think that LCDs let you stay longer in front of your computer without getting your eyes sore, that extra time spent in front of your computer isn't healthy either way.

I'd get the dual and get your work over with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules