Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ATA/100 vrs. ATA/66 Hard Drive purchase?

ATA/100 vrs. ATA/66 Hard Drive purchase?
louh
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2003, 12:27 PM

I have a dual 1GHz mirrored door drive Mac. I already purchased a 120 GB Barracuda V UATA/100 7200rpm internal hard drive. So that makes two ATA/100's. Do I now have to purchase an ATA/66? And does it matter in which bay these drives are placed to maximize throughput. In other words should each of the 100's be running off of each bus?

Thanks for the help,

Lou

DrBoar
Senior User
Sep 3, 2003, 02:39 AM

You alredy have all the hardware to support 4 IDE drives so you do not have to buy a AT PCI card, if that is what you are meaning

You can have both drives on the same bus or one on each, it will not affect performance. However, on each bus one is set to be "Master" with those small jumpers while the other has to be "Slave" and only Masters are bootable.

So if you want to have two bootable drives you better have them on two busses otherwise use the bays that are more convenient for you

A ATA 100 drive means that the drive support that protocoll it does not mean that the drive can give that kind of output (www.barefeats.com has a lot of disk tests)

louh  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2003, 01:33 PM

Thanks,
Put more clearly, my question is can I use an ATA 100 drive in an ATA 66 bus. I believe the100's are backwards compatible. I think the only bad thing is that I will take a small performance drop by putting the 100 in the 66.

Out of curiosity, how do you match the drives to the bus? ATA 100 to the correct bus and ATA66 to the correct bus?

Thanks
Lou

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2003, 01:54 PM

Makes absolutely no difference at all.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2003, 05:15 PM

I am fairly certain I boot off my slave right now (faster drive) - is that not possible?

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by DrBoar:
...and only Masters are bootable.
Hi!

Are you sure about that? I have never heard that before.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by louh:
I have a dual 1GHz mirrored door drive Mac. I already purchased a 120 GB Barracuda V UATA/100 7200rpm internal hard drive. So that makes two ATA/100's. Do I now have to purchase an ATA/66? And does it matter in which bay these drives are placed to maximize throughput. In other words should each of the 100's be running off of each bus?

Thanks for the help,

Lou
Yes, you'll be able to do this. However, ATA/66 has a size limit... you may be unable to use a drive larger than 120(?) GB. Or the limit may be less.

If it were me, I'd get an ATA/133 PCI card or even a SATA PCI card and hook the drives to that, rather than use the ATA/66 bus.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2003, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Hi!

Are you sure about that? I have never heard that before.
That's because it is not true. You can boot off any drive in the IDE chain, either bus. We are not talking about Windows machines.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2003, 06:32 PM

re: "A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head. "

What about crossing a duck with a state line atop your head ??

hehehe
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2003, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
That's because it is not true. You can boot off any drive in the IDE chain, either bus. We are not talking about Windows machines.
Windows can boot from a drive configured as 'slave'.

Forum Links
Forum Rules