Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how often does fan come on?

how often does fan come on?
ul1984
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 08:38 PM

Anyone with the new powerbook 15" answer this question for me please, i have heard from many reports here that the fan doesnt come on much, but i assume thats when on reduced CPU performance.

how often does the fan come on, if u have the PB plugged in to the wall, and the "bus slewing" on maximum performance(not automatic)?

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 01:55 AM

Today I did a little testing between my new 15" AlBook (1.25 GHz) and my old 800Mhz TiBook. CPU&GPU intensive apps (ATI GL Terrain Demo, Neverwinter Nights etc), side by side, with same energy settings, both plugged in. Both machines started up cold from sleeping overnight.

Running a GL test that maxes out the TiBook, the fan comes on after only a few minutes, and kicks into second gear shortly after that. The AlBook remained totally silent for several more minutes before the fan whirred up. The AlBook fan is quieter than the TiBook but the pitch is lower, which may be more noticable depending on your ears. I haven't heard a second level of fan on the AlBook yet.

So, it does come on with intensive apps (of course) but not as much as the TiBook.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 02:23 AM

arekkusu: Thank you

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 02:34 AM

I only hear the fan come on when playing graphically intensive games. Apart from that, the new 15" gets slightly warm, but not uncomfortably.

I agree with arrekusu that the pitch is lower. I've only ever heard one fan speed, so I don't know if there are ever instances where it will speed up and become louder.

FWIW

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 05:57 AM

Okay, I have been doing daily activities (iChat, Safari, installing programs, etc) for about 2 days now on my 1.25GHz PB and I haven't once heard the fan yet.

My old 800's fan didn't come on much either, but I had an 867 that came on all the time.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2003, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Sean Li:
Apart from that, the new 15" gets slightly warm, but not uncomfortably.
FWIW
By the way, has anyone compared heat in the old 12" and the new 15" powerbooks? The old 12" has the reputation of a pretty warm, if not hot, machine. How does this compares to the new 15" aluminium?

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 11:17 AM

Thx for all replies

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 11:24 AM

My 800 only comes on when playing games, or working with huge graphics files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules