Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > the imac 20" is HUGE

the imac 20" is HUGE
eddiecatflap
Baninated
Oct 13, 2004, 12:13 PM

i checked one out at teh applestore

good lord

the 17" seems ok , but the 20 incher is stupidly big , it dwarfed a 23" cinema display

re speed , was quite impressed , but the biggest shock was a G5 1.6 tower next to it

AMAZING SPEED ! i was blown away

why is it so much quicker ??

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 01:57 PM

I don't see how it is "stupidly big". It should be bigger as a 23" display. It's got a computer behind the screen!
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

eddiecatflap  (op)
Baninated
Oct 14, 2004, 03:36 AM

not in depth , in acreage

it dwarfed a g5 tower next to it , put me right off it to be honest

biposto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 03:54 AM

I think i'm one of the few who likes the 17' more.
Best advice is to see them both for real if you want one.

ringos
Oct 14, 2004, 09:32 AM

I agree. The 20" looks huge.

I find it funny that I think it seems "bulky" but you always seem to forget that there isn't this huge tower hooked up to it. It says a lot about Apple and their designs and what we've come to expect of them. Maybe we're just so used to looking at the elegance of the Cinema Displays, that anything slightly bulkier seems huge and cumbersome, no matter the amazing engineering behind the iMac.

Certainly makes my choice difficult for when I upgrade my home computer (G4/933, 17" ASD).

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 10:06 AM

Personally I fine the 20" very attractive and not huge at all.

It seems to take up far less space than my old G4 iMac (15") and yet I have so much more screen space.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

dootbran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 11:52 AM

Yeah the 20" is pretty big, when I was in the Apple store the other day trying to talk myself out of getting one of these , I thought the 17" looked a little small. It was being dwarfed by the 20"!! Same with the new 20" diplay.

Then I finally got a good look at the Ipod mini in person... wow THAT looked small after seeing the 20" imac. I started thinking the reason they had been selling so well was they kept getting lost in the couch along with a half a cup of change.

Anyway, its big but damn it looks nice. I don't think I'd have any trouble looking at that everday. Although looking at my bank account with $500 less in it might be a little hard...

DaBeav
Oct 14, 2004, 01:10 PM

I'd go for the 20" for the screen real estate alone. I didn't think it looked to terribly big or unwieldy. A lot would depend on how much space you have at your workstation.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 06:44 PM

It's smaller than a 21" CRT.

And where is the computer? Oh, it's IN the DISPLAY?!?!?

And you have the nerve to say it is stupidly huge?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

toti
Oct 14, 2004, 08:03 PM

Huge ?

Well... kinda... yeah.. sort of

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 01:46 AM

---
( Last edited by RayX; May 20, 2006 at 06:26 AM. )

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
the 17" seems ok , but the 20 incher is stupidly big , it dwarfed a 23" cinema display
Stupidly post of the day.

Don't worry kid you probably got enough to get that Dell so please move along.

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2004, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by Evan_11:

Don't worry kid you probably got enough to get that Dell so please move along.
HUR HUR HUR! dude, he's getting a Dell!
hey, if you don't like something, you're not on OUR SIDE! go back to your peecees and your micro$$oft!

dootbran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
That was uncalled for. I'll just add the requisite 'nice grammar buddy'.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2004, 03:19 AM

I think the 17" looks best, if only because the whole concept of the iMac G5 is a G5 computer in the smallest possible space, so it makes sense that the 17" is more true to this than the larger 20" ! With the 17: you really get that 'Wow - that's a computer ?' reaction, but with the 20" my reaction was more "Wow - that's one big box!"....

dav
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 10:22 AM

after playing with one of the new 20" imacs at the local apple store, i had the same opinion. it's huge. i think the 17" looks nice, but scaled up in size it's just too much for me.
i ended up ordering a refurb powermac g5 and display.

kokkao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 12:12 PM

The 17" looks undernourished compared to the 20" which really has that "wow" factor!

I dithered - and thought - and my 20" is due early November!

Bookie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 12:37 PM

I thought big was good when talking about a display, which is what the iMac appears like mainly...
Don't blame me - I voted Democrat

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 06:05 PM

IMO the 20 inch iMac just looks too big. Then again, let me put it like this. It's not that the 20 inch is too big on its own to purchase. Rather, I've looked at the 17 inch and 20 inch iMac side-by-side and I prefer the 17 inch model. It just looks .... "better". It seems more sleek and efficient. To me it just didn't seem like the extra screen real estate was worth the extra bulk of the 20 inch. The 17 inch just seemed like the "sweet spot" when one considers footprint, size, and screen real estate.

OAW

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 19, 2004, 06:28 PM

I dunno, I'm totally digging my new 20" iMac. My main reason for purchasing this computer was the wonderful display. If there is a minus to the new iMac, it's that you can't adjust the height of the computer. I mean, I'm stuck with how much the foot raises the monitor portion. This isn't a big issue for me, I'm just lucky the iMac fit in the spot I had for it! Another 1/8" and I would've been drilling holes in my computer cabinet in order to raise the shelf above the iMac!
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2004, 12:09 PM

I had a chance to see the new iMacs at the Apple Store when I was in San Francisco last month and I think both sizes look great. I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display at the office, and I like the idea of having that screen real estate at home. I'm seriously considering getting one of the 20 inchers after the first of the year. I have a PB G4/550 that has done a great job for me since I bought it, but I'm looking to get something newer/faster soon. It'll be either the PowerBook G5 (whenver that is released, hopefully early next year) or the iMac G5. If it's the iMac, the current PB should continue to serve me well when I want the portability.

Chulo
Oct 23, 2004, 01:28 PM

I've got to admit that the 20" iMac looks awesome. The 17" looks great too but it is dwarfed by the 20". I guess which one you decide to purchase depends on the space you have available to place it.
One thing I did notice is that the 20" seemed brighter and I could see it clearer from a wider angle. Maybe it was an optical illusion but it did seem that way to me. Has anyone noticed that too?
I was considering buying a dual 1.8 PM and a 20" cinema sometime next year but maybe this is the better way to go. My space is a little limited and the costs would be greater with the PM (while putting me into deeper debt - like I really need that).
So lets see what January brings. I still have time before I make a decision. Decisions, decisions!

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Chulo:
One thing I did notice is that the 20" seemed brighter and I could see it clearer from a wider angle. Maybe it was an optical illusion but it did seem that way to me. Has anyone noticed that too?
No, thats true.
To quote the Apple Tech Specs:

# Typical viewing angle:
    * 17-inch models
       &nbsp ;o 120� horizontal
       &nbsp ;o 90� vertical
    * 20-inch model
       &nbsp ;o 170� horizontal
       &nbsp ;o 170� vertical

# Typical brightness: 200 cd/m (17-inch models); 230 cd/m (20-inch model)

Chulo
Oct 25, 2004, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by anamexis:
No, thats true.
To quote the Apple Tech Specs:

# Typical viewing angle:
    * 17-inch models
       &nbsp ;o 120� horizontal
       &nbsp ;o 90� vertical
    * 20-inch model
       &nbsp ;o 170� horizontal
       &nbsp ;o 170� vertical

# Typical brightness: 200 cd/m (17-inch models); 230 cd/m (20-inch model)
Thanks for info. I didn't realise it was posted by Apple. I guess I don't need to spend extra money at the optomotrist after all.

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2004, 09:21 AM

I haven't seen the 20" yet but am surprised so many think it looks huge. I can't wait to hear everyones opinions when that new 30" hits the streets.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 07:36 PM

hehe, I remember when people were saying the 17" PB was too big. Let me tell you, I just saw the 20" Imac and person the other day, and IMO it's AMAZING! The screen was just awesome!
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

toti
Nov 22, 2004, 12:43 PM

I did get mine ( 20" ) a couple of weeks ago...

Now it feels small ( couldn't take 1cm of computer more tho or I'd have to change desks )

Maybe it's just me getting big'n'fat ?

Love the 20" tho, great, fast and really usable computer that doesn't take too much space, and doesn't sound like a Boeing 747-400 taking off

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2004, 01:08 PM

I was at an Apple Store last week and got to use a 30" display for a few minutes. Now THAT is the definition of stupid big. Yeah, I'd love it if I were watching a movie, but it's complete overkill for a computer. It was so big I couldn't see everything on the screen at once and it took a few seconds to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other. I had a fairly large browser window open, and it was like a tiny little island in the middle of a big ocean. After I walked away from it, I glanced at the iMacs and they looked tiny. I seriously thought for a second that they had a new 15" iMac because the 30" display was so damn huge.

I still want one

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

alternate_bit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2004, 01:08 PM

i'm the same way. at first, i thought the 20" was huge but now, after a couple of weeks, it feels small to me! i actually measured it this morning to make sure i didn't get the 17" by mistake
needless to say i love this machine, it is amazing.

TheGameguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 12:10 PM

I got one of the 17" and one of the 20" for 2 people at work so far.. and I like the 17" slightly better.. though I suspect if I had to use it day in and day out I'd miss the bigger screen and higher resolution.

I'm still torn between the 17" model or a G5 Tower and seperate screen.. ideally I'd simply wait for Apple to beef up the videocard in the 17" Model and go with that...

In terms of sheer size.. the 20" may be too large for certain desks and work areas..simply because your not just putting an LCD screen on your desk...your putting the whole system up there.

mbryda
Senior User
Nov 29, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
I was at an Apple Store last week and got to use a 30" display for a few minutes. Now THAT is the definition of stupid big. Yeah, I'd love it if I were watching a movie, but it's complete overkill for a computer. It was so big I couldn't see everything on the screen at once and it took a few seconds to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other. I had a fairly large browser window open, and it was like a tiny little island in the middle of a big ocean. After I walked away from it, I glanced at the iMacs and they looked tiny. I seriously thought for a second that they had a new 15" iMac because the 30" display was so damn huge.

I still want one
I had about the same reaction. Fired up iPhoto and looked at the sample pics. Remarked to the wife - "Now you can see just how sucky your pics are". Esp. since those looked to be 3-4MP pics @ 100%...

Then I opened up Word and was blown away by the amount of pages you could get on the screen.

Popped up Excel and about had a cow - Columns A to AB were on the screen and Rows 1-100! Insane.

Needless to say I want one, but that price - OUCH! That's plasma TV territory!

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2004, 09:56 PM

I havent seen the 20" model in person but I saw a 17" one the other day at my local apple service centre.

Very very nice. They have given it that sexy cube/cinema display finish so it looks classier than my g4 imac.

Having said that, it was surprisingly thick, which is what I think the poster is on about. Some people just stick the cinema display on their desk and have the tower underneath, so compared to that it does have a bulky appearance.

But man, they are really nice. My g4 imac is only 2.5 years old so I wont be upgrading it for a couple of years yet (assuming it keeps performing well), but If I had the spare $$...
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Forum Links
Forum Rules