Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > No decent service at Fast food joints or even better ones with Pick-Up svc!

No decent service at Fast food joints or even better ones with Pick-Up svc!
Y3a
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 01:57 PM

I guess the fast food joints are manned by idiots at the register and managed by them too! When is the last time you got a correctly filled order from one? I live just west of DC in the Dulles/Sterling area and you JUST CAN'T get good service. Popeyes has NEVER got the whole order correct. Either something is left out, or it's just plain WRONG. The local Booger King, keeps GIVING FRIES away, even when you SPECIFICALLY SAY NO FRIES, JUST THE BUGER! The probelm seems to be with speekin engrish. they no speek-eh de lanjuage. WHY DO THE IDIOT MANAGERS HIRE THEEM IN THE FIRST PLACE? I guess it's important to write off the losses on taxes every year.

I 've pretty much given up on fast food joints. HA! Chili's, TGIFridays, LoneStar or Rio Grande isn't ANY better. They hire red-necks who can't speek Duh lanquige eeder. They fail to READ THE ORDER to verify whats in the bags before I come to pick it up. Don Pablo's is no better. Joe's Crab Shack is no better. They can't even get the order right when it's THE SAME STUFF THAT A STAY n PAY customer gets.

WHY IS THIS? Poor management and lousy training? Allowing liars to continue to work after it becomes known they CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH - even they said "yeah, sure..I can speek good engrish" why does it take 3 latino women to work ONE cash register, as I've seen repeatedly at Booger King, MyuckDonalds, and Wendy's. managers are impatient to get away from doing the work that a missing employee would do, so they settle for the first idiot that walks thru the door. If the regional managers would shop their stores and see what is happening - like the idiots giving away fries - they would realize why they aren't doin so well.

The only places that get it right as far as delivering what you ordered, or having what you ordered DONE RIGHT is a mom-n-pop Pizza place.

I'd also like to give the following places BAD GRADES for customer interfacing:
Home Depot - ZERO for knowledgible staff and only ONE REGISTER OPEN on weekday mornings
Radio Shack - they can't find or explain any product in the store. They can only sell you the demo.
Giant Food - snotty, lazy, UNION employees.
Best Buy - do they even HIRE FOLKS OLDER THAN 16?

hickey
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 02:03 PM

that aint gonna change anytime soon. Get used to it and keep going to those small mom-n-pop type places.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
The local Booger King, keeps GIVING FRIES away

NO FRIES, JUST THE BUGER!

The probelm seems to be with speekin engrish.

I 've pretty much given up

Home Depot - ZERO for knowledgible staff
Your English doesn't seem so hot either.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Y3a  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 02:47 PM

Sarcasm.

zankoku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 03:11 PM

Aside from the original post being borderline elitist and racist, what else do you expect from people working at minimum wage?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2006, 04:09 PM

It won't stop folks from claiming we need to raise the minimum wage.

When the time comes that I get what I order at a drive thru window - more often than not - then we can talk about giving those morons a raise.

edited:

I'm sorry if I come across as being irate. But, earlier today I stopped by Wendy's to order a frosty and I noticed that the ultra-hot drive-thru girl, Megan, had an engagement ring on her finger and she was all happy and smiling and whatnot. Just kinda pissed me off is all. Megan was the highlight of my day. *snif*

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 04:14 PM

Cheap is the new good. You asked for it, America, you got it. Deal with it.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 04:41 PM

Spend your money wisely. Support your local economy.

alligator
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 05:21 PM

You have to wonder if this is the type of service people would have received in the 1940's. Seriously, I bet the times were better then (customer service wise). My guess is that this is the result of the population explosion. Too many people means more and more apathy and the "what's in it for me" attitude.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sourbook
Spend your money wisely. Support your local economy.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 04:12 AM

Maybe if more English speakers were willing to work at these places, they'd hire more english speakers?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 06:59 AM

Why eat that **** in the first place?

Y3a  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 07:54 AM

RACIST!??! LOL If perhaps the managers hired outside their race in the first place you would have folks who COULD speak engilsh.

Hispanic Manager, and staff.
Asian Manager and staff.
Middle-Eastern Manager and staff, etc etc.

I see this all over the DC metro area. The local Wendys, McDonalds, and Burger King all have hispanic workers and managers.

The TGI Fridays and Popeyes' have Middle-Eastern Managers and staff.

The BEST LOCAL MCDONALDS has an asian staff and Managers. They are fast, clean and have NEVER hosed my orders. I've lived in the area all my life and I've gone to this McD's every time I would go see a particular client (1-2 times a week and widly varying times)

I NEVER ORDER FRIES at anyplace, but the hispanics virtually assume that I ordered them (no speak english) or aren't paying attention, which helps drive operating costs up.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 08:21 AM

Seeing a client at McDonalds

Slightly more on topic: When the pay is so low at these type of places as it is, people with 'great communication skills' and all the other desirable qualities of a worker can generally find a better job. I'm sure these places would like to hire better staff, but without better conditions and/or pay it just isn't going to happen.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 12:01 PM

Alright Y3a. How many American English speakers do you know that want to work these jobs? Where is this big pool of English speaking Americans they have to hire from?
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Y3a  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 12:33 PM

NOBODY WANTS THESE JOBS! It's a point of who settles for this kind of job. The white kids around where I live work at specialty stores at the malls or Best Buy/Circuit City/Tower Records etc.

BTW - I go to McDonalds AFTER I go visit my client.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 01:04 PM

i've been charged for fries (or the full meal combo thing) many times by hispanics. i order a burger and drink, they just put the order in as a meal when i dont want a meal, no, "would you like that as a combo? it comes with fries." True its not THAT much more, but i never ate the fries the 3 or 4 times it's happened, gave em to my sister or brother. times i see they charged me for the fries when i didnt ask for them. i tell them i didnt want fries and they get all confused and need the manager to help them out. bugs me that they dont understand that some people just dont want fries. okay the above might sound a little racist, but thats been my experience, and it's only happened when i order from a hispanic person.

Brass

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
you would have folks who COULD speak engilsh.
The local Wendys, McDonalds, ... TGI Fridays and Popeyes'
and widly varying times
Again, you should probably work on your own English before criticizing others...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Kevin
Baninated
May 29, 2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Cheap is the new good. You asked for it, America, you got it. Deal with it.
What a silly post. We can get cheap or expensive. We have that choice.

Anyone going to a fast food place expecting top dollar service is kidding themselves.

But don't let that stop you from making silly xenophobic posts.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Again, you should probably work on your own English before criticizing others...

some ones sarcasum-dar is off. he was trying to make a point.

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin

Anyone going to a fast food place expecting top dollar service is kidding themselves.

I must say, someone's BVD's sure seem to be in a bunch.

It's not about cheap or expensive, it's about value and quality. Just because something is cheap, doesn't mean it should be borderline poison with inhuman service to boot.

And darnit if there aren't places in the US where it's pretty hard to find the quality alternative to the cheap garbage.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 03:29 PM

Knee-jerk. You're projecting. Where did I say anything about race? Etc.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 03:32 PM

Yuo Are Teh Anti-murican!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Toutgood
Yuo Are Teh Anti-murican!
I am teh uot of this thraed.

ghporter
Administrator
May 29, 2006, 03:48 PM

That's a very funny rant!

Here in South Texas, it's very uncommon for me to find ANY fast food restaurant where English is not the ONLY language spoken behind the counter (and fairly well too, considering the quality of English used today). If I go to the Carne Guisada place closer to downtown, I expect to order in Spanish-or I don't go there. No sweat.

On the other hand, the last time I visited Little Rock AR, there were floor cleaners and bussers in Crackerbarrel who had zero English skills. Hmmmm I says to myself. In Houston I find more non-native English speaking people with poor English skills than I do right here in San Antonio. This ignores the third and fourth generation folks in certain classy neighborhoods who refuse to speak English because of their "heritage," but that's another rant...

The times I've been in the DC area, I have been well taken care of by food service people who spoke more than enough English to get their jobs done (when I encountered non-native English speakers at all). The omlette chef at the Radison in Alexandria was an Asian woman who did not grow up speaking English, but she spoke it well and with a charming accent.

Take a cruise sometime. You'll find people staffing the ship from countries you never heard of. It's refreshing and interesting to hear so many different accents.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 03:54 PM

" It's refreshing and interesting to hear so many different accents."

this is true. some of the accents ive heard while the person speaks english are really musical. it's always refreshing to hear a nice accent with english, and even more refreshing when the person knows the english language too

Brass

heh
"me so horny?! ME SO STUPID!"

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Alright Y3a. How many American English speakers do you know that want to work these jobs? Where is this big pool of English speaking Americans they have to hire from?

Oh, please.

I worked at Subway in high school. So did several of my classmates.
Friends of mine worked at the Frank'n'furter hot dog and burger place. It wasn't until after college that I got jobs in any classier places of business.

There's no shame in working food service. My cousin has gone from managing back to waiting tables, he liked it better. Sure, it isn't very glamorous unless you're some sort of elite chef, but the truth is it isn't the scummy job you make it out to be, you elitist, you.

Anecdotally, I know lots of native born American English speakers working these jobs. But nevermind. Don't let my reality-based world interfere with your argument.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
some ones sarcasum-dar is off. he was trying to make a point.
Yeah, right... widly? Knowledgible? Buger?

What "point" does that make, other than that the poster is probably drunk?

Kevin
Baninated
May 29, 2006, 04:17 PM

I must say, someone's BVD's sure seem to be in a bunch.
Naw Paully (BTW is this your "Trolling" account?), for one, I would never wear BVDs, for two, they were gently in place.

Me correcting him wasn't effecting my underwear in any way.

But if you want to believe it did. Go head.
It's not about cheap or expensive, it's about value and quality. Just because something is cheap, doesn't mean it should be borderline poison with inhuman service to boot.
I don't think I claimed otherwise did I? No.
And darnit if there aren't places in the US where it's pretty hard to find the quality alternative to the cheap garbage.
I've never had a problem. Lived here 33 years. Always had a choice.
Originally Posted by chris v
Where did I say anything about race? Etc.
xenophobia has nothing to do with race silly.

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 04:28 PM

Naw Paully (BTW is this your "Trolling" account?), for one, I would never wear BVDs, for two, they were gently in place.

Me correcting him wasn't effecting my underwear in any way.

But if you want to believe it did. Go head.

I don't think I claimed otherwise did I? No.

I've never had a problem. Lived here 33 years. Always had a choice.

xenophobia has nothing to do with race silly.

1. No trolling here, it's just the one I have signed on this browser (Firefox). Nice to be recognized!

2. I just made the BVD joke as I noticed your use of the panties in a twist bit recently. and it made me chuckle. An homage, as it were.

3. Again, your reply to cheap is the new good (with the added bonus of a xenophobia accusation - explain that one for us, wouldya) was besides th point. The point I was trying to make is that it's harder and harder to find things that are both cheap and that meet a minimum standard in the US. Or rather the standards seem to falling. Or rather, that all this is besides the point as the comment cheap is the new good was rather tongue in cheek. Take offense if you must, though.

4. I have, in my 31 years, traveled all over the US - having family in several states and enjoying travel- and I speak only from my own experience.

5. 33? OMG just like teh Jesus!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
When is the last time you got a correctly filled order from one?
Call the store and tell the manager, or go to the website and call the 800 number and report the location. They have a tendency to give you a free sandwich (manager) or coupons (national hq) in response. All of them do this, but Hardee's is trying to make a big comeback and their CEO Andy some-name-I-can't-recall is putting money behind improving the service image, as well as the food.
I'd also like to give the following places BAD GRADES for customer interfacing:
Home Depot - ZERO for knowledgible staff and only ONE REGISTER OPEN on weekday mornings
Yeah, they're bad. In some of the specialty areas, you may find someone who knows the topic well, though. Plumbing tends to be the best place for that.
Radio Shack - they can't find or explain any product in the store. They can only sell you the demo.
Maybe you didn't hear: they got out of serving the electronics hobbyist. Now they see their customer as a cell-phone-buying-remote-control-car owner. They're annoyed when I go because I need capacitors or eeproms.
Best Buy - do they even HIRE FOLKS OLDER THAN 16?
They don't need or want to know product: they want to size you up and classify you as one of six types of customers so they can use an appropriate sales pitch. and they like some types of customers better than others because they presume that type to spend more.

Store clerks receive hours of training in identifying desirable customers according to their shopping preferences and behavior. High-income men, referred to internally as Barrys, tend to be enthusiasts of action movies and cameras. Suburban moms, called Jills, are busy but usually willing to talk about helping their families. Male technology enthusiasts, nicknamed Buzzes, are early adopters, interested in buying and showing off the latest gadgets.

Staffers use quick interviews to pigeonhole shoppers. A customer who says his family has a regular "movie night," for example, is pegged a prime candidate for home-theater equipment. Shoppers with large families are steered toward larger appliances and time-saving products.

The devils are its worst customers. They buy products, apply for rebates, return the purchases, then buy them back at returned-merchandise discounts. They load up on "loss leaders," severely discounted merchandise designed to boost store traffic, then flip the goods at a profit on eBay. They slap down rock-bottom price quotes from Web sites and demand that Best Buy make good on its lowest-price pledge. "They can wreak enormous economic havoc," says Mr. Anderson.

Customer profiling has its downside- they don't think you have the cash, no time is spent on you. You don't come with e knowledge already? You aren't a Buzz.

Kevin
Baninated
May 29, 2006, 04:35 PM

3. Again, your reply to cheap is the new good (with the added bonus of a xenophobia accusation - explain that one for us, wouldya) was besides th point. The point I was trying to make is that it's harder and harder to find things that are both cheap and that meet a minimum standard in the US.
Well for the most part making QUALITY goods requires MORE money. Yes, yes I would love to have my cake and eat it too. But that usually isn't the case.

For example Macs.
Or rather the standards seem to falling. Or rather, that all this is besides the point as the comment cheap is the new good was rather tongue in cheek. Take offense if you must, though.
Not taking offense. Just pointing out he was wrong. And no, cheap isn't the new good. Cheap is still cheap.
4. I have, in my 31 years, traveled all over the US - having family in several states and enjoying travel- and I speak only from my own experience.
Yes you have traveled. You haven't lived here. We have a choice here. We can buy cheap (as in made) items if you want. OR you can do research and buy something better. I tend to do that latter.

BTW you say this
1. No trolling here
Then post this.
5. 33? OMG just like teh Jesus!
Which contradicts that you aren't trolling.

If you are going to make "no trolling" comments, atleast attempt not to troll in teh SAME post. It makes you a bit more believable when you lie.

BTW why do you need two accounts for separate browsers?

That has to be one of the lamest excuses I've heard.

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 04:43 PM

Yes you have traveled. You haven't lived here. We have a choice here. We can buy cheap (as in made) items if you want. OR you can do research and buy something better. I tend to do that latter.
I have not only lived in the USA, but I was - shock, gasp - born there, and return regularly.

I'm sorry about the Jesus comment though.

Oh and so I made more than account. Some people do that.

Kevin
Baninated
May 29, 2006, 04:52 PM

I'm sorry about the Jesus comment though.
Apology accepted.
Oh and so I made more than account. Some people do that.
Not supposed to. I got banned for it once.

Just a warning.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
"They can wreak enormous economic havoc," says Mr. Anderson.
Who's that?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 05:22 PM

Who's that?
The customers Best Buy classifies as 'devils' - the people who use rebates, or resell product on ebay for profit.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 06:00 PM

The customers Best Buy classifies as 'devils' - the people who use rebates, or resell product on ebay for profit.
No, I meant who's Mr. Anderson. I don't know who that is, but the quote seems to assume that I'm supposed to.

edit: never mind, I see that you plagiarized that quote from an article. Sheesh, the theme of this thread really does seem to be "posts that an English teacher would murder you for."
( Last edited by CharlesS; May 29, 2006 at 06:13 PM. )

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 06:26 PM

Which fast food franchise it that puts those stickers on your bag of food at the drive-thru...the stickers that say "DOUBLE-CHECKED FOR ACCURACY" ??

When I see that sticker on my bag of food I recognize it as *guarantee* that they damn well got my order wrong.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 09:10 PM

No, I meant who's Mr. Anderson. I don't know who that is, but the quote seems to assume that I'm supposed to.

edit: never mind, I see that you plagiarized that quote from an article. Sheesh, the theme of this thread really does seem to be "posts that an English teacher would murder you for."
I didn't quote from that link.

The text actually comes from a WSJ article that I clipped out of the paper when I subscribed. You'll also find the text in an arstechnica.com article if you look.

Charles, I had no idea that I had to include an MLA or Chicago Manual of Style Works Cited page for you.

The accusation of plagiarism is a little strong: I didn't represent that those words were authored by me, I simply didn't cite a source where those particular words describing Barrys and Buzzes are so well spread around the internet (the site you linked, the ars technica, WSJ, CNET, and others) that the concept is without the need for citation. It's like citing an example for "The sky is blue." Had you written clearly enough that I could tell you wanted to know who Mr. Anderson is rather than the people he describes, I would happily have answered.

Sheesh.
( Last edited by vmarks; May 29, 2006 at 09:16 PM. )

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 09:15 PM

don't eat out then

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2006, 09:40 PM

Oh, please.

I worked at Subway in high school. So did several of my classmates.
Friends of mine worked at the Frank'n'furter hot dog and burger place. It wasn't until after college that I got jobs in any classier places of business.

There's no shame in working food service. My cousin has gone from managing back to waiting tables, he liked it better. Sure, it isn't very glamorous unless you're some sort of elite chef, but the truth is it isn't the scummy job you make it out to be, you elitist, you.

Anecdotally, I know lots of native born American English speakers working these jobs. But nevermind. Don't let my reality-based world interfere with your argument.
I don't disagree, I know english speakers that work these jobs too. But you won't find that many people who went through college, got educated, and then went back to working fast food. I know people who graduated who stay unemployed rather than work in fast food. Might be dumb of them to do so, but that's the reality of how people act.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2006, 02:09 AM

I didn't quote from that link.

The text actually comes from a WSJ article that I clipped out of the paper when I subscribed. You'll also find the text in an arstechnica.com article if you look.
Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, the WSJ's web site requires a paid registration to access it, so I Googled for a site that quoted the WSJ article so that I could post it here without requiring everyone to pay $$$ just to follow the link. I found the ArsTechnica article also, but it didn't have the complete text that you quoted.

Charles, I had no idea that I had to include an MLA or Chicago Manual of Style Works Cited page for you.
You don't - you could just prefix the quote with something like "Here's a quote from the Wall Street Journal:". Without some sort of attribution you imply that it's original material, which makes it really confusing since some parts of the quote don't make sense on their own (i.e. the Mr. Anderson part).

The accusation of plagiarism is a little strong: I didn't represent that those words were authored by me, I simply didn't cite a source where those particular words describing Barrys and Buzzes are so well spread around the internet (the site you linked, the ars technica, WSJ, CNET, and others) that the concept is without the need for citation. It's like citing an example for "The sky is blue." Had you written clearly enough that I could tell you wanted to know who Mr. Anderson is rather than the people he describes, I would happily have answered.
The concept may not need citation in an informal situation like this, but you quoted the exact words. All I ask for is a little heads up so that I know that 1) what you posted was a quote and 2) what it's from so I can go find the rest of the article if I want to.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 03:19 AM

2. I just made the BVD joke as I noticed your use of the panties in a twist bit recently. and it made me chuckle. An homage, as it were.
And here I thought you were referring to the picture in your sig.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules