Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPod users are going deaf

iPod users are going deaf
Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 02:07 PM

I ride the Metro Subway in DC. About 35 percent of the riders have iPods shoved in their ears and are listening SO LOUDLY, that I can recognize the music. Even the larger headphones don't seem to isolate the listenwer from the rest of us. I hope insurance won't cover the loss!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 02:11 PM

The upper sound volume is nationally regulated in France and every other concerned user (or parent) can do it himself in the iPod settings. Apple informs about the risks. If you go deaf its your own bloody fault.

Apple - Sound and Hearing

hickey
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 02:31 PM

I hate it when people listen to their music loud enough so I can hear it too. Makes me wish I carried a dagger with me.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 02:52 PM

I agree,

I'm so surprise at how many people have the headphones (not just ipods) so loud that I sitting a couple of seats down from them can make out the lyrics. If I can "enjoy" their music I wonder what type of damage is going on in their ears.
Michael

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
I ride the Metro Subway in DC. About 35 percent of the riders have iPods shoved in their ears and are listening SO LOUDLY, that I can recognize the music. Even the larger headphones don't seem to isolate the listenwer from the rest of us. I hope insurance won't cover the loss!
I was on the red line this morning and hat the joy of hearing a guy rap out loud to the thundering iPod of his. That's the most annoying thing in the world. It's magnified when the guy/gal is standing in the doorway oblivious to the world and the people trying to get in/out.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 03:28 PM

I heard this not long ago. No surprise.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2006, 03:42 PM

are video iPod users going blind too?

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 03:44 PM

I always listen to my iPod quietly, even when I am listening to Linkin Park and the like. I do turn up the volume if it is plugged into my home stereo sometimes, but not loud enough for the whole neighbourhood to hear.

Y3a  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 04:23 PM

I heard ELO, Grand Funk and KC and the SS band thru one guys head yesterday, and this morning a bunch of loud drumming stuff with cymbals from another rider(blue Line). YeeeHH!! I almost wrote "ELO - Evil Woman-1978" on a piece of paper and held it up so the guy 5 rows away on the other side of the car could understand he was playing it too F***kin LOWD!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
I hope insurance won't cover the loss!
That claim is gonna fall on deaf ears. Literally.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
Muahahaha

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 07:34 PM

The thing is the white headphones really don't keep the sound in the ears. if you actually put them in the wrong ears and shove the bigger parts in deep they actually get almost noise cancelling and can be listened to at half the volume. They look a lil funnier but I do it when I'm in the library now so as to not annoy the other people. When I take them out and hang them from my necklace I can't even hear them.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
what they do in the privacy of their bedroom is their own business, bucko.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
I was on the red line this morning and hat the joy of hearing a guy rap out loud to the thundering iPod of his. That's the most annoying thing in the world. It's magnified when the guy/gal is standing in the doorway oblivious to the world and the people trying to get in/out.

I guess I am lucky to live in a place where even talking on the subway is frowned upon. I love the fact that most rides I take on the subway are in complete silence, even though the train maybe packed, everyone is silent.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 15, 2006, 08:44 PM

In all fairness, this phenomenon is hardly new, nor unique to iPods. There have been annoying subway music listeners for as long as there have been walkmans, discmans, and portable MiniDisc players. MP3 players are just the latest iteration of the portable music player.

As others have said, being able to hear the other person's music doesn't necessarily mean it's crazy loud. Some headphone designs do not block sound (Sennheiser is the notable example of this -- their big headphones look like they should block sound, but they're actually designed not to!). It doesn't take much volume to recognize a song near you.

tooki

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
In all fairness, this phenomenon is hardly new, nor unique to iPods. There have been annoying subway music listeners for as long as there have been walkmans, discmans, and portable MiniDisc players. MP3 players are just the latest iteration of the portable music player.

As others have said, being able to hear the other person's music doesn't necessarily mean it's crazy loud. Some headphone designs do not block sound (Sennheiser is the notable example of this -- their big headphones look like they should block sound, but they're actually designed not to!). It doesn't take much volume to recognize a song near you.

tooki

TRUE DAT! I was gonna say that.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 09:35 PM

Just reach over and pinch their neck like Spock.
"â€ĤI contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

chestercopperpot
Baninated
Sep 19, 2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Same here. It's usually ghetto kids (many colors, all trash) who have them plugged in, and literally, they MAX the volume. Damn. That owuld hurt my ears. I don't know how they do it.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Y3a
I heard ELO, Grand Funk and KC and the SS band thru one guys head yesterday, and this morning a bunch of loud drumming stuff with cymbals from another rider(blue Line). YeeeHH!! I almost wrote "ELO - Evil Woman-1978" on a piece of paper and held it up so the guy 5 rows away on the other side of the car could understand he was playing it too F***kin LOWD!
LOL you sooo should have done that. Classic.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
The world would be a better place if everyone could hear some ELO every day!

kikkoman
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
I invested in a nice pair of sound isolating earphones. These are the earplug type of phones that seal the ear canal. I can listen to my iPod at less than 1/3 max level even in noisy environments and lower in normal ambient levels.

Y3a  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2006, 12:33 PM

but what does it sound like to those around you?

finboy
Sep 21, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
It's been that way since the Sony Walkman came out. And people will have to pay for it later in life.

Like having loud car stereos. We liked 'em loud, back in my high school days, but nothing like now. It's got to be detrimental. Thorstein Veblen would probably describe the car thing as a form of conspicuous consumption, the only kind available to some people, perhaps. They burn their ears because they have no concept of "a future" or goals for later in their life.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2006, 05:23 PM

this reminds me...i had this idea going to print out little "info about loud music and hearing loss" mini booklets and hand them to people on the subway who listen to there music to loudly

Alex

wvx
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2006, 05:26 PM

And all of us who take care of our ears will be paying for it with higher insurance premiums... uggg... thanks Apple!!

real
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by finboy
It's been that way since the Sony Walkman came out. And people will have to pay for it later in life.

Like having loud car stereos. We liked 'em loud, back in my high school days, but nothing like now. It's got to be detrimental. Thorstein Veblen would probably describe the car thing as a form of conspicuous consumption, the only kind available to some people, perhaps. They burn their ears because they have no concept of "a future" or goals for later in their life.

yeah nothing new, its a sign you are getting older when you think to yourself "WOW those damm kids are going to go deaf".

nothing more.

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 09:06 PM

...WHAT???

Seriously though, it's to the point where I'll be walking around campus and can hear two or more independent songs WHILE I'm listening to mine.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 09:49 PM

What? What??

Guess they shoulda listened to their weird uncle Pete instead.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
... WHILE I'm listening to mine.
That's the part that amazes me. I usually have the volume on my iPod about 50% and I can often hear other people's music through their headphones. I pull mine out and theirs is by far louder and they are much further away then I am to my earbuds. Actually, they usually drown out mine.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2006, 10:31 PM

And if more people start watching videos on their iPod, they'll start going blind as well as deaf.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
And if more people start watching videos on their iPod, they'll start going blind as well as deaf.
Depends on the videos doesn't it?

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
...About 35 percent of the riders have iPods shoved in their ears...
OUCH!

Forum Links
Forum Rules