Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AHH! All of my mail disappeared!

AHH! All of my mail disappeared!
King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2000, 11:52 PM

I've got a disaster on my hands! All of the e-mail that I had in my inbox has disappeared! All the other folders are fine. It happened during a "Send & Receive All". I got two new messages, and when they were finished downloading, all of my messages in my inbox disappeared, except for the two new ones and the one that I was reading at the time! What can I do? I'm currently using OE 5.0, not 5.0.2. Should I upgrade? I need help!

nharnett
Jul 25, 2000, 11:06 AM

Are you using IMAP or POP? If you are using IMAP, I have this problem all the time with Outlook. The only fix I have found is to delete the account and recreate it. Upon recreating the account all my email is refreshed. If you are using POP I have no idea what may have happened except you may have somehow changed to "unread mail". Try "command-Y" to see if this is the case. Good Luck.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2000, 01:49 PM

Search you menus and ensure that "show unread messages" is disabled for the Inbox folder. Some key combination activates it, and I went a week or so not knowing what happened.

Good luck.

P
Jul 25, 2000, 02:21 PM

GORDYMac has good advice - try that first. If that does not work, try starting OE holding Command-Option (or is it just Option? I forget). You will now be prompted to rebuild the mail database, which might cure your problem.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

monkeyman
Jul 25, 2000, 09:09 PM

Yes yes yes... I had that IMAP problem... it used to happen all the time. Every now and then on a Send & Receive All, all messages before some random date disappeared. They still existed on the IMAP server. When telneting in or using Communicator, all messages could be read. Then one day later, all the messages would re-appear. This all happened six or seven times, and hasn't happened in at least a month....

monkeyman
Jul 25, 2000, 09:11 PM

oops... I take that last part back... I just looked, and it has all messages back to August '99, when there are messages on the server back to August '98. Yay Microsoft.

Forum Links
Forum Rules