Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > OK, I decided to have Spaghetti for supper.

OK, I decided to have Spaghetti for supper.
Atomic Rooster
Mar 31, 2007, 06:07 PM

But I have no balls.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2007, 06:12 PM

here ya go:

enjoy!!

alex

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2007, 07:11 PM

I love spagetti, but the wife if fixing pork roast tonight, which I also love.

The pork.

And the wife.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2007, 07:29 PM

This is the retartedest thread evar111!

Atomic Rooster  (op)
Mar 31, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I love spagetti, but the wife if fixing pork roast tonight, which I also love.

The pork.

And the wife.
There's a joke in there somewhere.

...and imitchellg5, food is not retarded...unless you eat soylent orange.

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2007, 08:07 PM

Hu, Hu, you said retartedest.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 31, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post

But I have no balls.
In Italy, people mostly don't put meat in their spaghetti sauce. The sauce shouldn't look like that heavy thick thing. It should be light, made from fresh peeled tomato, olive oil, one basil leaf, one teaspoon salt. That's all. It's that simple. If you want stay authentic but add a little more tongue zing add crushed garlic to the olive oil in the pan and a dash of black pepper. And if you want to stay authentic and add meat, Italians use panchetta (bacon). Dice up a strip or two of bacon and add that to the pan too.

Spaghetti (all pastas) is a light starter course in Italy. Follow it up with a light veal steak and small roasted potatoes or chips with salad. If you're getting full on pasta you're eating it wrong.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2007, 08:46 PM

The pork was good, but I'm wishing now it was spaghetti. And not authentic stuff, lots of meat. mmmmmm.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 31, 2007, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson View Post
In Italy, people mostly don't put meat in their spaghetti sauce. The sauce shouldn't look like that heavy thick thing. It should be light, made from fresh peeled tomato, olive oil, one basil leaf, one teaspoon salt. That's all. It's that simple. If you want stay authentic but add a little more tongue zing add crushed garlic to the olive oil in the pan and a dash of black pepper. And if you want to stay authentic and add meat, Italians use panchetta (bacon). Dice up a strip or two of bacon and add that to the pan too.

Spaghetti (all pastas) is a light starter course in Italy. Follow it up with a light veal steak and small roasted potatoes or chips with salad. If you're getting full on pasta you're eating it wrong.
authentic aushmentic.

I love me some linguini vongole, red or white. Main course.

A shrimp scampi over linguini or similar is awesome. Main course.

I love a good bolognese. Main course also.

We serve a fettucini with pancetta, brocollini, mushrooms and chicken in a truffle cream sauce at my work. It's reaally good. Main course. Oh, and pancetta isn't exactly like (U.S.)bacon. Just sayin'.
ice

MrMacbookMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 09:45 PM

I'm sorry, but meatballs are an absolute necessity if you're going to have spaghetti. imo
I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2007, 09:51 PM

At least meat sauce. Spaghetti without meat should be illegal.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2007, 10:18 PM

Follow it up with a light veal steak
Baby cow murderer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linkinus is king.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2007, 10:26 PM

Lunch...

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2007, 10:57 PM

oh, that looks good too!

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2007, 11:16 PM

If you're getting full on pasta you're eating it different than I do.
Fixinated.

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2007, 11:19 PM

Eat Different.

I like the sound of that.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2007, 12:48 AM

Tonight I had Mongolian BBQ. With lots of beef and vegies.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2007, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
mmm I love mongolian.

If it's not spicy, it's not worth eating.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2007, 01:30 AM

I hope you marinated your Mongolian in yak milk first. Otherwise it wasn't authentic Mongolian BBQ.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2007, 02:18 AM

No yak milk. yulk.

Beef, a little ham, some mushrooms, lots of onions and celery. Don't forget the sauce toppings.

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I hope you marinated your Mongolian in yak milk first. Otherwise it wasn't authentic Mongolian BBQ.

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 03:09 AM

It disrupts the natural flow of conversation.

Why is top posting frowned upon?

Oh and, um... Go spaghetti!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 1, 2007, 04:03 AM

did you just answer a question you posed to yourself in your head?
ice

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 1, 2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Eat Different.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 05:12 AM

Linkinus is king.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2007, 07:28 AM

But as I'm sure you know, when food types come over to America from its native land, it transmogrifies into forms that are more palatable to Americans. Americans like hearty pasta with meat balls or meaty sauce, and they eat it as a main course. I'm sure the Italian version is great, but the Americanized form is the kind we like. Sometimes foods are transformed so radically from their original versions that they're almost entirely different. Case in point: When I toured China for a week we were provided heaps and heaps of traditional Chinese food at opulent Chinese restaurants - and we were not pleased with the food. It was true Chinese food that simply did not taste good to us. In fact, at the end of the week we went to a McDonalds because we couldn't stand the same kinds of courses for yet another day, and that was the best McDonalds burger I had ever eaten. (For reference, the best meals we got in China were the American style breakfast buffets served at the high end hotels we were in and the Mongolian BBQ we got before we went home. And the one Dim Sum meal we had was a nice experience.) If a Chinese restaurant here tried to sell the authentic kind of Chinese food that we got in China, it would quickly go out of business.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Apr 1, 2007 at 07:35 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 1, 2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
But as I'm sure you know, when food types come over to America from its native land, it transmogrifies into forms that are more palatable to Americans. Americans like hearty pasta with meat balls or meaty sauce, and they eat it as a main course. I'm sure the Italian version is great, but the Americanized form is the kind we like.
I grew up in Texas so I was exposed to the Americanised form of Mexican food known as TexMex. It tastes alright but I'm not one to take a big dump in the bog every day. I like my food light, nutritious and authentic so that my body absorbs real nutrients and I only have to sh!t once every two days.

McDonalds, Burger King etc aside there are places to get great burgers in the US that you can't get in Hamburg, Germnay, like Johnny Rockets for an example. There's an improvement over the original. I like those 50s style diners a lot.

You missed out on some really good food in China if you didn't like their authentic dishes.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2007, 08:29 AM

this thread is a load of balls.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If a Chinese restaurant here tried to sell the authentic kind of Chinese food that we got in China, it would quickly go out of business.
Not trying to pick a fight, but Toronto has a huge Chinatown and there's a lot of authentic Chinese food to be had, in restaurants that aren't going out of business anytime soon.
I really like real Northern Chinese food, hand made noodles. pickled vegetables, hearty soups and sturdy dumplings. Food for people living in a cold climate. Ideal for warming up on a Canadian winter's day.

One of my favourite places for that kind of thing is a little Cafe called Mother's Dumplings. Their food is delicious, especially their beef and noodle soup. No MSG, home made stocks flavoured with warming spices and hand made noodles. I am getting hungry just thinking about it.

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 12:52 PM

No, that was pointed at buckaroo for doing this.
Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
did you just answer a question you posed to yourself in your head?

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2007, 03:01 PM

Too bad. Sometimes I forget and I bottom post. But I want to read the new post first and skip something I already read earlier.

Some quotes are huge. This way I don't have to scroll all the way down to read it.

Originally Posted by zro View Post
No, that was pointed at buckaroo for doing this.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2007, 03:56 PM

ROFLOLFOREVER!!
Signature depreciated.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 1, 2007, 04:25 PM

Spaghetti (all pastas) is a light starter course in Italy.
There are plenty of Italians who eat spaghetti and other pastas as main courses.

If you're getting full on pasta you're eating it wrong.
There’s no such thing.

Of course, it doesn’t really matter how the Italians eat pasta, since everyone knows they just stole the Chinese food, and all non-Chinese ways of eating it is wrong by definition—right?

[Yes, I know it’s factually wrong; but the principle stands.]

Case in point: When I toured China for a week we were provided heaps and heaps of traditional Chinese food at opulent Chinese restaurants - and we were not pleased with the food. It was true Chinese food that simply did not taste good to us.
To be fair, you’re not likely to find anything that really tastes good in opulent restaurants in China. For the good stuff, you need to go to the small, dirty, mean-looking little places that the streets are littered with (and in many of those, the standard isn’t great, either). It would still be very different from American-Chinese food, but much better, almost no doubt.

Eating at big, fancy restaurants is one of the most common mistakes foreigners make in China, and it almost always leaves them with a bad impression of ‘real’ Chinese food.

In fact, at the end of the week we went to a McDonalds because we couldn't stand the same kinds of courses for yet another day, and that was the best McDonalds burger I had ever eaten.
That says more about American McDonald’ses (interesting pluralisation?!?) than Chinese ones. I know, from having eaten in about two dozen of them, that they’re not particularly good. The food tends to be soft and bland, compared to the McDonald’s food we get here. I suppose it would almost have to be even worse in the US—or perhaps you just got lucky.

For reference, the best meals we got in China were the American style breakfast buffets served at the high end hotels we were
This, too, surprises me greatly. Usually, even the high-end hotels can’t figure out how to do a Western breakfast breakfast properly. They always think they do so well, but I’ve seriously had to politely inform them that corn flakes are not usually eaten with melted butter.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 1, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Of course, it doesn’t really matter how the Italians eat pasta, since everyone knows they just stole the Chinese food, and all non-Chinese ways of eating it is wrong by definition—right?
Now that's an urban myth! Marco Polo brought back the long tubular noodle idea from China, not pasta itself. The Romans were serving pasta two thousand years ago. The flat pasta sheets used in lasagna are the earliest recorded pasta design followed by pasta shells and then macaroni and then rigatoni. Linguini was also known to the Greeks as 'laganon' (which is also baked and eaten with dips).

And then the spaghetti noodle design came later after the establishment of the Silk Route.
( Last edited by Aron Peterson; Apr 1, 2007 at 05:07 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2007, 05:00 PM

I'm going out on a limb tonight and trying sockeye salmon steaks in tandoori.

I don't know why, but I had the salmon out and tandoori was making me salivate all day. So I went for it. I have the sneaking suspicion it might not work, but it'll be fun!

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 1, 2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I'm going out on a limb tonight and trying sockeye salmon steaks in tandoori.

I don't know why, but I had the salmon out and tandoori was making me salivate all day. So I went for it. I have the sneaking suspicion it might not work, but it'll be fun!

greg
You got a clay oven? I'm just kidding you (tandoori means clay oven cooking)

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 10:27 PM

We need a new "What did you eat today?" thread. I like those!

(Can you tell I haven't had dinner yet today?)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 11:04 PM

Too bad. Sometimes I forget and I bottom post. But I want to read the new post first and skip something I already read earlier.

Some quotes are huge. This way I don't have to scroll all the way down to read it.
Buckarooooo!!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2007, 11:27 PM

You got a clay oven? I'm just kidding you (tandoori means clay oven cooking)
Hahaha, yeah I know, but I just usually use it as shortform for the curry paste.

It was okay on the salmon...not great, probably not good enough to try again and of course the flavour didn't stick as well as to chicken or lamb or pork, but it was a nice little change.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 2, 2007, 05:21 AM

Now that's an urban myth! Marco Polo brought back the long tubular noodle idea from China, not pasta itself. The Romans were serving pasta two thousand years ago. The flat pasta sheets used in lasagna are the earliest recorded pasta design followed by pasta shells and then macaroni and then rigatoni. Linguini was also known to the Greeks as 'laganon' (which is also baked and eaten with dips).
Did you notice the part that said, “Yes, I know it’s factually wrong”?

Incidentally, Marco Polo didn’t bring the tubular noodle to Europe, either. He simply mentioned noodles as being part of the Imperial cuisine in China. They already existed back in Italy before he left.

And then the spaghetti noodle design came later after the establishment of the Silk Route.
I suppose there’s nothing factually wrong about this, except from its context. The Silk Road has been established for almost eight millennia, so yes, the tubular noodle design did probably arise after the establishment of the Silk Road. The Silk Road wasn’t established by Marco Polo or any of his contemporaries, though.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Did you notice the part that said, “Yes, I know it’s factually wrong”?
Yes, but I'm not so sure about rounded spaghetti strings being in Italy before Marco Polo. Flat spaghetti, or linguini as I mentioned earlier, did exist.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 2, 2007, 12:41 PM

As did macaroni, which must surely be said to be rounded, even if they are hollow as well.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 12:44 PM

I missed this gem this weekend.

My compliments to the chef, err... OP.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 05:00 PM

I like the people that say "The REAL way is..." when they mean "The traditional way is..."

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 05:11 PM

A strange thing has happened.

Italian immigrants to America created a cuisine of their own. This was successfully exported all over the world as 'Italian' food.

This has led many many people to think food that is actually *from* Italy or eaten like Italians eat it is anything to look up to.

Italian food is American food.

For millennias we've had Italy in our backyard and not once has their food impressed us in Europe. A similar but fortunately NOT a real example would be if English immigrants to the USA would have created a popular cuisine known as English food.

Tragically that would lead people to England where the best English food would surely be had.. surely...

ouch

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 2, 2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post

Italian immigrants to America created a cuisine of their own. This was successfully exported all over the world as 'Italian' food.

This has led many many people to think food that is actually *from* Italy or eaten like Italians eat it is anything to look up to.

Italian food is American food.

For millennias we've had Italy in our backyard and not once has their food impressed us in Europe. A similar but fortunately NOT a real example would be if English immigrants to the USA would have created a popular cuisine known as English food.

Tragically that would lead people to England where the best English food would surely be had.. surely...

ouch

V

You know, we have "Italian", "Mexican", "English/India", "Ethiopian", "English", "Irish", "German", various "Eastern", "Thai", "French", 'Chinese", "Japanese", "Mongolian", and just about every other nationality on Earth, cuisine available in the USA.

But no "Spanish" cuisine. I have seen places that serve all of the various cuisines listed above, but not a single "Spanish" place.

I wonder why?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
But no "Spanish" cuisine. I have seen places that serve all of the various cuisines listed above, but not a single "Spanish" place.

I wonder why?
Yeah, I wonder why as well. I know plenty of tapas restaurants throughout Europe.

V

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
this thread is a load of balls.

I'm really glad that you guys lightened up on the silly and pointless "every thread must contain 'content'" rule, because threads like this are a lot of fun and allow us to bond.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post

ouch

V
Voodoo is on his anti-English crusade today!

Please bear in mind many American dishes such as pies, t-bone steak etc are English, or more correctly British. Also, many South Asian dishes are British in origin as are some Chinese dishes. And if you go back before WWI there was a great similarity between the British, French and German palette.

The 'bad English food' myth comes from the fact that after WWII rationing took place for a decade or more and Britons had to rely on tinned food products, much of it from the US, to get by. The tinned food habit continued in the 60s and during the 70s. From the 80s onwards British chefs have re-established themselves as the best in the world. Take a look at any listing of the top ten chefs in the world and over half the list includes Britons such as Keith Floyd, Marco Pierre White, Gordon Ramsey, Gary Rhodes, etc.

Britain not only has the highest number of Michelin starred chefs (106 in Britain at the moment) but also the most viewed cooking programs on international television networks.

British chefs have also excelled at an entirely new aspect of cuisine called 'molecular gastronomy' (invented by a French scientists and Hungarion physicist) that is starting to take off everywhere. One of the pioneers of molecular gastronomy is Heston Blumenthal, owner of a small restaurant in Bath, The Fat Duck, that has been called the best restaurant in the world. Bacon and egg ice cream anyone?

Heston Blumenthal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Molecular gastronomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not bad, eh?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 07:45 PM

Please bear in mind many American dishes such as pies, t-bone steak etc are English, or more correctly British.
Sure, but the Americans made them tast good. I give credit where credit is due and British cuisine is pretty damn lousy. Americans made it good, but didn't call it 'English food'. Which is just as well (see my example above)

I never claimed the Brits were unable to make good food once they learned to, but having enjoyed the traditional British cuisine from Cornwall to Kirkwall, I can assure you. It is nothing to write home about.

On the other hand there was plenty of fine restaurants, concentrating on French, Chinese and Indian cuisine. I adore the Indian food that comes from Britain. But I'm not talking about that, obviously. As I meantioned time and again, but you choose not to pick up on.

You are hereby twit of the day, narrowly beating Orion27. Congrats!

V

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 07:52 PM

One has to understand the nature of English food to properly appreciate it.

It's not there to delight your taste buds while you partake... ...it's there to provide ballast for the evening drinking session and energy for the late night fighting session.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules