Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 17)
Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 09:42 AM

S.A.T. time!

HD is to Wii as Online play is to GameCube

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 23, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
SWG...dude, ur getting a Wii, right ? So whether its the backwards compatibility, the asthetics, the price or the new possibilities, Nintendo has won a sale, right ? Cant see a problem there for anyone concerned....

Im a bit underwhelmed by the Wii's graphical powers .... maybe cause my expectations were too high. I mean Twilight Princess looks stunning (animation, models, emotion, environments, effects).... Mario Galaxy looks... good.... but not terribly breathtaking. The rest of Nintendo's lineup look "Good".
Well Nintendo doesn't really care that much about the hardware sales, it is all about selling the games (or the hardware twice). If I find the non-HDness unplesant I will be reluctant to buy games especially ones that come out for all systems.

I like the DS but there are some games I don't touch because the graphics are so bad I can't stand looking at it. Mario cart is really good but even it has its moments of ugliness.

"Hello, what have we here?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2006, 05:12 PM

I've been saying this since day one also. I've never tried it so I can't say if I would get tired quickly.

"Peter Molyneux, the legendary game designer responsible for games like Populous, Theme Park and The Movies, has issued a warning to future games designers regarding the new motion sensing control pads - that gamers may be too lazy to use them!"

bit-tech.net | Molyneux fires warning about Wii controller

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 02:24 PM

" IGN has separately learned from multiple development sources that Nintendo will not release Wii Wi-Fi Connection libraries to third parties until early 2007, which means that no third party launch title will have an online mode."

SAY WHAT?!!!

No online support for 3rd-party Wii devs until 2007 - Joystiq

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 02:28 PM

Yeah, I saw it earlier. Apparently Nintendo would like to get his thing started on the right foot...

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 02:31 PM

Yeah, I'm less and less optimistic about he Wii every day. I'm definitely not getting one at launch. I'm going to wait and see how the general public and reviewers react to the new control scheme.

I'm more worried that the controller just isn't going to work that well, then I am about HD or online play.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Yeah, I saw it earlier. Apparently Nintendo would like to get his thing started on the right foot...
What? How did Xbox start off on the wrong one and that was their FIRST system and FIRST online play?

Nintendo also should have learnt all they need to know about online play with the DS but it took forever for the first Wi-Fi game to come out and their method with friend codes for each game is the worst idea in the history of the world.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 02:39 PM

I was being sarcastic.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 02:47 PM

I was being sarcastic.
Thank god I thought you were GoMac for a while.

No doubt this will either be a good thing in his eyes.

Didn't you know everyone still has 20" CRT's and don't want to play online.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 02:49 PM

Personally, I find it very telling that there's been talk about tweaking and re-releasing GC games on the Wii.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 02:50 PM

Personally, I find it very telling that there's been talk about tweaking and re-releasing GC games on the Wii.
What do you mean?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 02:53 PM

Well, the Wii isn't exactly a giant step past the GameCube. It basically enhanced graphics, a new controller, and online play. So what will make the rereleases so good? Obviously the latter two, and there's nothing about them that they couldn't have done on the GC.

It's like the Wii is really going to be GameCube: Take Two.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 02:56 PM

Probably a Wii. Maybe a 360. Definitely not a Playstation 3.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 02:59 PM

I was actually pretty hot on the Wii till this last week.

It's somewhat terrifying that the PS3 hype machine isn't in force yet. Probably not good.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 03:03 PM

It's like the Wii is really going to be GameCube: Take Two.
Ya I never thought about it like that but you're right. You can also think of it as an XBOX 1 without the hard drive and multimedia functions.

It all comes down to now how well the controller works and even if it works 100% does it make the games more fun after the newness wears off? More troubling will people just be too lazy to play it?

I read they recently changed the controls in Zelda so you no longer push a button to swing the sword but now you actually swing your arm. That is cool on the surface but I know when I am playing any other zelda you have to swing the sword all the time and even my finger starts to hurt after a while. I can't imagine having to wave my arm around sitting on the couch for 2 hours.

Heck even playing Duck hunt your arm get tired quick!

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 03:06 PM

Well, common sense says you'll be able to turn that option on and off. Swinging the controller to play baseball is fun with friends but it'll be old mid-way through a hard-core gaming session.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 03:19 PM

Well, common sense says you'll be able to turn that option on and off. Swinging the controller to play baseball is fun with friends but it'll be old mid-way through a hard-core gaming session.

I seriously doubt especially for launch titles. Nintendo has to eat its own dog food and use the controller for all it is worth.

Kinda how Apple forced USB on everyone with the first iMac because if they had just made it an option nobody would have used it and manufacturers wouldn't have ditched serial.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 03:19 PM

I agree... it should be (and hopefully will be) something that you can enable/disable. I remember way back at the beginning that they said you could plug it into a standard-like controller if you felt more comfortable with that.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 03:35 PM

I said that a LONG time ago. The Wii controller looks cool as a NOVELTY, but it will NEVER, EVER replace the standard controller.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by starman
I said that a LONG time ago. The Wii controller looks cool as a NOVELTY, but it will NEVER, EVER replace the standard controller.
That's right, because I'm pretty sure I said the same thing on that page too.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
I remember way back at the beginning that they said you could plug it into a standard-like controller if you felt more comfortable with that.
Nintendo said a week ago that you can do no such thing with Zelda Wii.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.

- Popular Science (1959)

I'm not saying the Wii controller WILL replace the standard controller, but it's foolish to say for certain what the future holds.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus
Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.

- Popular Science (1959)
People don't want to play games online.

- Nintendo (2001).

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
People don't want to play games online.

- Nintendo (2001).
And that has what to do with the controller? I'm just saying that to say the standard controller is the way we'll be playing games forever is a cop out. Sony already felt the need to add motion sensing to their controller, perhaps the ps4 will have a split, 2 handed controller with independant motion sensing? My point is that we don't know how gaming will be controlled 50 or even 10 years from now.

On your online point, I'll totally agree that XBOX live will probably be better than what nintendo is going to offer, but as I've gotten older, I don't have time to play online games as much anyway. I rarely have more than an hour at a time that I can sit down and play games. So being able to just sit down and play without leaving in the middle of online matches is a plus for me.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 04:42 PM

I'm not even too concerned with online play and reading about that on Joystiq today made me slightly turned off the Wii which is the system I've been hepped for. It's a dumbass move on Nintendo's part.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 04:54 PM

And that has what to do with the controller?
What did your comment about 1.5 ton computers have anything to do with a motion sensing game controller?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
I'm not even too concerned with online play and reading about that on Joystiq today made me slightly turned off the Wii which is the system I've been hepped for. It's a dumbass move on Nintendo's part.
I guess it pretty much shows Nintendo still doesn't have a clue how to handle the online game thing properly and don't want to give 3rd parties any opportunities to make games that will probably break in the near future after they get around to sorting it out.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 06:01 PM

What did your comment about 1.5 ton computers have anything to do with a motion sensing game controller?
I was pointing to a past quote where a prediction that seemed obvious at the time, which seems rediculous today. In the same way, saying that the Wii controller, or something like it will "NEVER" replace the standard controller seems plausible today, but for all we know the next console gen after 360, ps3, wii could be all motion controllers, or they could all drop the motion control.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2006, 06:08 PM

I was pointing to a past quote where a prediction that seemed obvious at the time, which seems rediculous today. In the same way, saying that the Wii controller, or something like it will "NEVER" replace the standard controller seems plausible today, but for all we know the next console gen after 360, ps3, wii could be all motion controllers, or they could all drop the motion control.

Right but the point is Xbox and PS3 are not putting all their eggs in one basket by forcing motion control on everyone. If it sucks nintendo is screwed.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2006, 06:12 PM

Personally, I respect that risk-taking.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 06:24 PM

Right but the point is Xbox and PS3 are not putting all their eggs in one basket by forcing motion control on everyone. If it sucks nintendo is screwed.
I'll grant you that. I have to admit to being skeptical as well, but some hands on experiences are giving me hope such as this one

http://wii.ign.com/articles/727/727755p1.html

especially this part:

"Sooner or later, playing with the Wii-mote starts to feel exceptionally right. We kept trying to hurl objects into the sky and then with a quick flip of the wrist shoot another bolt from our gun and catch them mid-air. We're pleased to report that the controller is so responsive that this is not only a possibility, but exceptionally easy. As a result, you'll eventually find yourself tossing stuff around just to see if you can draw like a gunslinger and catch it before it hits the ground. Maybe we're autistic - probably we are -- but we kept doing this and kept enjoying it."

I am certain though that the best games will be those specifically designed around using a motion controller, and that for awhile there will be a lot of trash games with motion control tacked on as an afterthought.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 07:20 PM

I guess it pretty much shows Nintendo still doesn't have a clue how to handle the online game thing properly and don't want to give 3rd parties any opportunities to make games that will probably break in the near future after they get around to sorting it out.
I don't think it shows that they have no clue; the DS launched without online gaming support and it's worked out just fine in the long run.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
I don't think it shows that they have no clue; the DS launched without online gaming support and it's worked out just fine in the long run.

How so? Just because it works?

EVERYBODY hates the friend code ESPECIALLY because it is a cryptic code that is separate for each game. Is that not just about the worst possible way to go about this?

Nintendo has said they are using the same stupid codes for the Wii. They say they are doing this to protect minors, same reason they don't want to let you talk and "swear" online while playing games.

If that doesn't pretty much nail the "Nintendo is for kids" rap I don't know what does.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
How so? Just because it works?

EVERYBODY hates the friend code ESPECIALLY because it is a cryptic code that is separate for each game. Is that not just about the worst possible way to go about this?

Nintendo has said they are using the same stupid codes for the Wii. They say they are doing this to protect minors, same reason they don't want to let you talk and "swear" online while playing games.

If that doesn't pretty much nail the "Nintendo is for kids" rap I don't know what does.
None of that has to do with what I was saying. My point specifically was that the initial lack of online playability did not hinder the success of the DS, and even if you dislike their method for online gaming, that has not hindered the DS from being a success.

The worst case scenario is that Nintendo releases the Wii with some games that support online multiplaying, and then 3rd party developers either release patches or titles early in the 2007 only a few months after the Wii's release. I'd wager it won't hinder the Wii's success in the long run.

Even if you think "Nintendo is for kids," you've said that you're still giving your money to them, right? So long as they get your money, I don't think they care what you label their system(s) as.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 03:15 PM

"Sony is having a rough go of things from the gaming community and the press, so they need all the good news they can get these days. When the creators of Penny Arcade were asked at PAX if they planned on buying a PS3 based on the launch price, Sony may have thought they would get a break from two of most influential personalities in gaming. What was their reply?

We've already talked about it, there's no chance we're buying a PS3 at launch. That's Grade-A bullshit.

Ouch. According to Joystiq, the room erupted in cheers and applause at the answer; it seems as if the gamers at the event weren't feeling much love for Sony's next-gen system. I've never really seen the gaming world turn against a product so quickly as it apparently has with the PS3, and I'm thinking this is going to be an interesting experiment in how the more plugged-in gamers think in relation to the wider audience. Most of the people who write or talk about games online aren't very interested in the PS3, and no one has anything good to say about the price. Of course, some believe that the more mainstream gamer is going to eat the PS3 up based on the strength of the Sony brand and the opportunity to get a Blu-ray drive. But is that the case?

I never thought that Sony's missteps in the gaming world would actually cause such a strong backlash, and this is enough to make me wonder if the down attitude has filtered into the mainstream buying plans of the average gamer. Is there a chance the PS3 could actually flop?"

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...2006/8/27/5123
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2006, 03:30 PM

I think the PS3 will embarrassingly underperform ("Should I get this video game system or the one next to it at half the price?"), but Sony isn't going to just go bankrupt or give up. They'll just realize they ****ed up and correct course.
Chuck
___

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I think the PS3 will embarrassingly underperform ("Should I get this video game system or the one next to it at half the price?"), but Sony isn't going to just go bankrupt or give up. They'll just realize they ****ed up and correct course.
How can they correct it though? I mean once it is out it is out and it has to last the next 5-6 years.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2006, 03:46 PM

Cut the price, lose more money in the short term than they'd hoped to in exchange for long-term market viability. Slim down the features to a less impressive level (but still beating the pants off the Nintendo Wiik), maybe. I think Sega managed to slash the Sega CD's price pretty early when nobody was buying it, though that didn't really have the desired effect.
Chuck
___

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
"Sony is having a rough go of things from the gaming community and the press, so they need all the good news they can get these days. When the creators of Penny Arcade were asked at PAX if they planned on buying a PS3 based on the launch price, Sony may have thought they would get a break from two of most influential personalities in gaming. What was their reply?
"Most influential"?

Buahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahhaahhahaha ahahahah

Call me when someone that's actually infuential says something important.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 12:01 PM

Both the PS3 and Wii have not entered production even though they are shipping in less than 3 months.

Now the Wii seems to have productions with the Wiimote:
Wiimote Production Issues? - Kotaku

dillerX
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 12:14 PM

I bought an 360 yesterday. Was waiting for a game that I thought might keep my attention for a bit on it. Saints Row was it.

I don't think I could ever play GTA again on the PS2. I am happy.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by dillerX
I bought an 360 yesterday. Was waiting for a game that I thought might keep my attention for a bit on it. Saints Row was it.

I don't think I could ever play GTA again on the PS2. I am happy.
Ya when I head it was a clone of GTA I was sure it would suck but the demo was awesome.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 12:33 PM

Both the PS3 and Wii have not entered production even though they are shipping in less than 3 months.

Now the Wii seems to have productions with the Wiimote:
Wiimote Production Issues? - Kotaku
Wow, for once Microsoft was actually way more on top of things than anybody else.
Chuck
___

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 12:42 PM

Wow, for once Microsoft was actually way more on top of things than anybody else.
Seriously, they are doing an excellent job with the 360.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 02:48 PM

Say what?

They had HUGE production problems when they started. How were they more on top of things?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
Say what?

They had HUGE production problems when they started. How were they more on top of things?
Bullshit. They had some problems after the units shipped but were said to be in the normal 5% range but with all the internet bitching it makes it sound like 90%.

How are they on top of things?

Hmm, well they got the hardware out a year go and it pretty much has the same specs as the PS3.

They got a good flow of games, software enhancements added to the 360, user praise for the hardware and software and the strongest console online strategy and usage.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 02:57 PM

Bullshit. They had some problems after the units shipped but were said to be in the normal 5% range but with all the internet bitching it makes it sound like 90%.

How are they on top of things?

Hmm, well they got the hardware out a year go and it pretty much has the same specs as the PS3.

They got a good flow of games, software enhancements added to the 360, user praise for the hardware and software and the strongest console online strategy and usage.
I was a huge skeptic when I bought the 360. I figured it would be a year at least before I bought the PS3 anyway since that is when there will be enough games out for me to want to play it.

I must say. I am damn impressed.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by dillerX
I was a huge skeptic when I bought the 360. I figured it would be a year at least before I bought the PS3 anyway since that is when there will be enough games out for me to want to play it.

I must say. I am damn impressed.

I was the same way about the original Xbox. The 360 is absolutely the best game system I have ever had and I have had almost all of them.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 03:18 PM

/me goes to pick up Enchanted Arms and Valkerie Profile.

ZOOM!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 03:30 PM

I was the same way about the original Xbox. The 360 is absolutely the best game system I have ever had and I have had almost all of them.
Out of curiosity, what exactly makes you say that?
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules