Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 37)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 01:02 AM

I think the suggestion of a software hack ignores the complexities of upscaling.

Not to mention Sony isn't letting anyone touch the GPU or the Sony OS. Not even Linux can touch the GPU.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

idyll
Senior User
Nov 16, 2006, 02:08 AM

they're waiting in line so they can resell them on eBay
not a bad idea in my opinion. i'd do it for a few thousand bucks if i didn't have school or work

Ham Sandwich
Nov 16, 2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by idyll View Post
they're waiting in line so they can resell them on eBay
not a bad idea in my opinion. i'd do it for a few thousand bucks if i didn't have school or work
This practice of camping out and reselling systems for a high markup on eBay stinks. The release of systems for the holidays stinks, as well. Couple those together and it's a huge crap fest. What a way to make Xmas more depressing than it already is.

Though, I would like to see moms beating each other up for PS3s as they did with the Cabbage Patch Kids back in the 80s.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 16, 2006, 07:46 AM

I will be getting a Wii. I have a 7 year old here that loves games, and feel it's more geared towards him.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 16, 2006 at 07:54 AM. )

kman42
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 09:15 AM

How much are the online subscriptions for the PS3 and 360? Any hidden fees?

kman

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I will be getting a Wii. I have a 7 year old here that loves games, and feel it's more geared towards him.
Man, I remember last generation when Nintendo fans would freak out when you implied it was more kiddie than the other systems.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Man, I remember last generation when Nintendo fans would freak out when you implied it was more kiddie than the other systems.
I was just about to say the same thing. So much for Nintnedo shaking their kiddie image.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 09:29 AM

Maybe it was only because Wind Waker had that horrific art style.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 16, 2006, 09:35 AM

If I use the TrueHD track on Batman Begins, I get lip sync issues. If I use Dolby Digital Plus, it seems to work OK.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
How much are the online subscriptions for the PS3 and 360? Any hidden fees?

kman
PS3 is free. XBox is something like $50 a year.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 11:07 AM

This is a pic I snapped LAST NIGHT.

Apple .Mac

There were three people there that morning. Note: when the PS2 was launched I stood at the same place. At 4am that day, the line was barely around the corner. Now, two whole DAYS before launch, the line's already around the corner.

And it's raining today

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 11:10 AM

Was there anyone in line who wasnt in the 18-35 male demographic ? It's obvious that supply issues have prompted the hardcore to line up.

Once the hardcore are saturated....is there anything more we can expect ? or will this be a PSP redux ? i think time will tell, but i was wonder what makes you think otherwise ?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 11:17 AM

I still can't believe people are lining up here. It's so nasty out. On a scale of 1 - 10 on the nasty weather scale, it's been a 9 here. Freezing cold, steady rain and constant gushing winds.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Was there anyone in line who wasnt in the 18-35 male demographic ? It's obvious that supply issues have prompted the hardcore to line up.

Once the hardcore are saturated....is there anything more we can expect ? or will this be a PSP redux ? i think time will tell, but i was wonder what makes you think otherwise ?
What makes YOU think otherwise? Seriously, sometimes I wonder where you get these silly ideas from. PSP redux? Apples and oranges.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 16, 2006, 11:33 AM

Not more kiddie, but just less R rated crap.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
This is a pic I snapped LAST NIGHT.

Apple .Mac
Whoa! Is that who I think it is?!

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2006, 11:36 AM

Whoa! Is that who I think it is?!
i don't get it?

but yea. thats hilarious. only like 10 of them will get ps3s. hahahahaha

silly sony

anyone read that Maddox article about sony he put a couple days ago? pretty funny
blah

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not more kiddie, but just less R rated crap.
This has all the making of a long drawn-out pointless debate.

Stepping away from the car now...

kman42
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 11:38 AM

I'm thinking Wii, myself. I've been reading lots of reviews and looking at game videos and screenshots and the Wii just seems fun. I'm not really a hardcore gamer (I thought PS2 Tiger Woods was great graphics), and the price on the other systems really turns me off.

kman

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
I'm thinking Wii, myself. I've been reading lots of reviews and looking at game videos and screenshots and the Wii just seems fun. I'm not really a hardcore gamer (I thought PS2 Tiger Woods was great graphics), and the price on the other systems really turns me off.

kman
YOU, my friend, are Nintendo's targeted demographic. I'm sure there are millions just like you, and that is why the Wii will be a success.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
i don't get it?
Perhaps you should take a closer look.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2006, 11:49 AM

HOLY MOLY

if i knew this, i might have stood in line to buy one...

NYC loves PS3 - News at GameSpot

FOUR HUNDRED SYSTEMS

thats .1% of the entire north america shipment in one store. ridiculous

edit: actually, its more than .1%, because sony said it wouldn't make the 400,000 it said earlier i think
blah

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 12:07 PM

What makes YOU think otherwise? Seriously, sometimes I wonder where you get these silly ideas from. PSP redux? Apples and oranges.
Sure the places where the PSP and PS3 are intended to be used are different, but the target demographic of a console whether portable/home is for the most part the same. the similarities between the PSP and PS3, which include:
-target demographic
-price
-features
-launch library
-competition (in specific Nintendo)
-supply

Your turn.... why do you think otherwise ?

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2006, 12:15 PM

-target demographic
i would sya that with a hand-held, you automatically lower yout target audience. older people will not walk around with some PSP or DS or play one in the car...they will be the ones driving or working
blah

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 12:16 PM

Sure the places where the PSP and PS3 are intended to be used are different, but the target demographic of a console whether portable/home is for the most part the same. the similarities between the PSP and PS3, which include:
-target demographic
-price
-features
-launch library
-competition (in specific Nintendo)
-supply

Your turn.... why do you think otherwise ?
Sony domination for the last 10 years. Next question?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 12:18 PM

A friend of mine phoned a Walmart around here and the sales lady was telling everyone they are not allowing people to line up yet. This was yesterday morning. His brother phoned the same Walmart and spoke to the manager and he had no issues with people lining up.

That Walmart is getting 4. My friend and his brother have a ticket for one, and will be waiting until midnight.

He's going to sell it on eBay.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 12:20 PM

Sony domination for the last 10 years. Next question?
Because that logic worked well for the success of the PSP...
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Because that logic worked well for the success of the PSP...
/sigh

ARE
YOU
DENSE?

Different markets, different demos. I'm not the only one who said it. Nintendo's been dominating the HANDHELD market since the GB.

Stop being such a goddamn FANBOY.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 12:31 PM

My opinion is that the XBox 360 is going to out-sell the PS3 this round. But I'm just a big Microsoft fanboy all the time, unlike those even handed Sony fanboys.

I have no idea what the Wii will do. Originally I thought it might take 2nd, but with the momentum Nintendo has going... who knows...

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 12:32 PM

Please, Nintendo lost almost all its momentum from E3.

The biggest other thing they have going for them was Sony's E3 was pathetic and they've spent all this time just trying to recover.

Edit: Also, PS3 shortages. Nintendo should be dancing in the streets about that.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 12:34 PM

/sigh

ARE
YOU
DENSE?

Different markets, different demos. I'm not the only one who said it. Nintendo's been dominating the HANDHELD market since the GB.

So if "dominance" is your reason for predicting success for Sony.why didnt Nintendo's dominance over 10 years with the NES and SNES lead to the N64's success over the PS1 ?

ive pointed out an instance where dominance does not lead to a new console's success. there are numerous other factors that have greater impact. So do you have any other meaningful answers ?

i'd prefer some meaningful answers...not fanboy type ones. for example....price...we all know price affects demand. supply, we all know supply has a direct affect on the number of consoles in circulation. target audience....more of a marketing thing, but very important...the broader the market, the more people you reach, as opposed to any particular niche. launch library...has a clear affect on the number of people picking up the hardware. competition...not everyone will buy 2 or 3 consoles, most will pick one....and if the competiton makes for a better buy, the others loose a sale. features....not everyone wants/needs an all-in-one device....which has an effect on demand.

So "dominance" would have negligable impact on the migration from the old generation to the next, which can be seen from the migration from the SNES/Genesis to the N64/PS1 generation.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 16, 2006 at 12:48 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 16, 2006, 12:35 PM

This gaming console stuff is serious business.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2006, 12:42 PM

/sigh

ARE
YOU
DENSE?

actually, even though i disagreed with the demos, i agree that sony really has nothing but a name going into this generation...and the price might be enought to deter people from it. they will lose. i don't know to who, but they will not be first, maybe not even second.
blah

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 12:49 PM

The PS3 is technically the most advanced of them. It will stay ahead of the competition for a very long time, so it's a save investment. And that's the major selling point of a console – that you don't have to upgrade your machine every 6 months like you do with gaming PCs. The XBOX has had very short product cycles so far (being little different than a Windows-PC that's no surprise), so people are shying away from it.

Also don't forget that the PS2 was the most successful console, so a lot of people have a large collection of games, that they want to continue to play.

Add BlueRay for HD video playback and you get instant succes!

I will get one as soon as it drops under €200 in price. I might bridge the time till then with a Wii. I don't have an HD television anyway.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 12:50 PM

Current estimates put the PS3 launch numbers at under 200,000. Crazy. In addition to frustrating customers, this kind of things really hurts game developers. They bust their asses to get games out at launch, and then have no one to sell their games too.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 12:52 PM

So if "dominance" is your reason for predicting success for Sony.why didnt Nintendo's dominance over 10 years with the NES and SNES lead to the N64's success over the PS1 ?

ive pointed out an instance where dominance does not lead to a new console's success. there are numerous other factors that have greater impact. So do you have any other meaningful answers ?

i'd prefer some meaningful answers...not fanboy type ones. for example....price...we all know price affects demand. supply, we all know supply has a direct affect on the number of consoles in circulation. target audience....more of a marketing thing, but very important...the broader the market, the more people you reach, as opposed to any particular niche. launch library...has a clear affect on the number of people picking up the hardware. competition...not everyone will buy 2 or 3 consoles, most will pick one....and if the competiton makes for a better buy, the others loose a sale. features....not everyone wants/needs an all-in-one device....which has an effect on demand.

So "dominance" would have negligable impact on the migration from the old generation to the next, which can be seen from the migration from the SNES/Genesis to the N64/PS1 generation.
I think my pic from Best Buy debunked your theories.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2006, 12:55 PM

i am willing to bet that more want to turn it around and sell it on ebay. earlier this month they were going for $1,900.

and people know they dont have to line up for the Wii...cause nintendo is smarter and actually made enough for people to buy.
blah

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
cause nintendo is smarter and actually made enough for people to buy.
Smarter? No. Their online content isn't even ready yet.

Oh yeah, and they're launching after the PS3.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
The PS3 is technically the most advanced of them. It will stay ahead of the competition for a very long time, so it's a save investment. And that's the major selling point of a console – that you don't have to upgrade your machine every 6 months like you do with gaming PCs. The XBOX has had very short product cycles so far (being little different than a Windows-PC that's no surprise), so people are shying away from it.

Also don't forget that the PS2 was the most successful console, so a lot of people have a large collection of games, that they want to continue to play.

Add BlueRay for HD video playback and you get instant succes!

I will get one as soon as it drops under €200 in price. I might bridge the time till then with a Wii. I don't have an HD television anyway.
1. the PS2 was the winner, right ? was it the most powerful ?

2. before the PS2 came out, how long did Sony expect it's lifecycle to be ?

3. would you rather invest $500 right now for 8-10 years ? or $250 every 4-5 years ? Personally, things change wya too much in the span of 4-5 years to invest in a particular technology for a 8-10 year stretch.

4. Blu Ray/ HD-DVD....im not an "early adopter"...i'd rather let the market decide before i buy one or the other. if HD-DVD/ BluRay had gone through the format wars and won...it would be a much easier decision.

5. do people buy hardware for the sake of power ? or do they buy hardware for games ? i think it's for the games....when the PS2/XBox/GCN were on market shelves...the PS2 had a bigger library, which gave it a treamondous edge.....which is what the XB360 has this time around, NOT the PS3.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 12:59 PM

So 50 odd people lining up for a handful of PS3s outside your local retailer debunks the laws of economics ? (price, demand, supply)... wow....Sony must be powerful enough to defy gravity as well.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 01:01 PM

So 50 odd people lining up for a handful of PS3s outside your local retailer debunks the laws of economics ? (price, demand, supply)... wow....Sony must be powerful enough to defy gravity as well.
Do you have special powers to see behind a wall in a digital picture?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 01:02 PM

Smarter? No. Their online content isn't even ready yet.

Oh yeah, and they're launching after the PS3.
If you call 200,000 units for a population of 300 million a "launch" sure.

Sony could have "launched" with a single unit of the PS3 if they wanted...and Nintendo would still sell more the next day cause they can supply it. An early launch with such small numbers in comparison to the competition isnt realy an advantage. if they had more PS3s available it would be a different story,

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 01:02 PM

5. do people buy hardware for the sake of power ? or do they buy hardware for games ? i think it's for the games....when the PS2/XBox/GCN were on market shelves...the PS2 had a bigger library, which gave it a treamondous edge.....which is what the XB360 has this time around, NOT the PS3.
Where do you come up with this crap?

There is backwards compatability with the PS3.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 01:04 PM

Sony could have "launched" with a single unit of the PS3 if they wanted...and Nintendo would still sell more the next day cause they can supply it. An early launch with such small numbers in comparison to the competition isnt realy an advantage. if they had more PS3s available it would be a different story,
How does this make Nintendo 'smarter'?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 01:07 PM

Where do you come up with this crap?

There is backwards compatability with the PS3.
In theory, yes. In practice, it seems that a shocking number of popular PS2 titles don't work well, or even at all in some cases.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 01:09 PM

I called toys R us and they said they aren't even getting enough PS3's to fill pre orders. They are only getting 7 unites.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Millennium
Clinically Insane

The hell of it is, the Japanese launch still hasn't sold out, as far as I'm aware. It didn't sell out on opening day or the following weekend, and at least as of yesterday you could still find unsold units in stores.

The opening launch in the US will probably sell out more quickly, though.

starman
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
In theory, yes. In practice, it seems that a shocking number of popular PS2 titles don't work well, or even at all in some cases.
Isn't a PS2 inside the PS3? I read that last night. I don't have the link on me.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
The hell of it is, the Japanese launch still hasn't sold out, as far as I'm aware. It didn't sell out on opening day or the following weekend, and at least as of yesterday you could still find unsold units in stores.
O rly?

It's gotta be the price.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 01:11 PM

Isn't a PS2 inside the PS3? I read that last night. I don't have the link on me.
It's supposed to be, yes. At the very least, the CPU and GPU both are. This only makes it stranger that so many titles aren't working. The most common problems are apparently sound-related.

Forum Links
Forum Rules