Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Torontoites, advice on where to stay?

Torontoites, advice on where to stay?
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2005, 08:44 PM

So in maybe 3 weeks I might go to Toronto for some job interviews. I might be there for up to a full week if that's what I need to do to make all the interviews I want.

So where do I stay? Any experience with hostels? I found some online and they are all about $25/night for private rooms. I want to take my computer but am worried about leaving it in my room. I'm thinking I'll just keep it with me.

How big is the city? What's the best way to get around? Cabs are probably expensive so how's the bus system?

Also, what's there to do there? The interview sessions are during the day and I'm thinking I need to find something to do at night.

Anything about Toronto you want to say, say it.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 08:50 PM

Don't know about hostels but we have an incredible subway/bus/streetcar system.

Stay in the west end or central, the east is a but ghetto

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 09:10 PM

Where are your interviews? (I'm not from TO, but have stayed downtown several times)

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 09:21 PM

As long as the 'hostels' you're reffering to arnt 'bath houses' you'll be fine

Check out the Toronto Night Clubs, they're great. Also be sure to check out the Eatons Centre (Right Downtown).

Chris

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2005, 09:45 PM

Here are the places I might be interviewing at.

Simpson Tower, Suite 2424
401 Bay St.
Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4

120 Adelaide Street West
Suite 2500
Toronto, ON M5H 1T1

1881 Yonge Street
Suite 700
Toronto, ON M4S 3C4

Suite 1801
Toronto Star Building
1 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E 1W7

And I'm using this link to search for hostels.

Thanks for the info so far.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:

401 Bay St.
Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4

120 Adelaide Street West
Suite 2500
Toronto, ON M5H 1T1

1881 Yonge Street
Suite 700
Toronto, ON M4S 3C4

Suite 1801
Toronto Star Building
1 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E 1W7

The first 3 are right downtown. Perfect.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 09:55 PM

So in maybe 3 weeks I might go to Toronto for some job interviews. I might be there for up to a full week if that's what I need to do to make all the interviews I want.

So where do I stay? Any experience with hostels? I found some online and they are all about $25/night for private rooms. I want to take my computer but am worried about leaving it in my room. I'm thinking I'll just keep it with me.

How big is the city? What's the best way to get around? Cabs are probably expensive so how's the bus system?

Also, what's there to do there? The interview sessions are during the day and I'm thinking I need to find something to do at night.

What job are you looking for if we can ask?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 10:06 PM

401 Bay St.
Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4

120 Adelaide Street West
Suite 2500
Toronto, ON M5H 1T1

1881 Yonge Street
Suite 700
Toronto, ON M4S 3C4

Suite 1801
Toronto Star Building
1 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E 1W7

1,2 and 4 are basically in the downtown core and if you are not staying downtown can easily be reached using the subway. 1881 Yonge is a bit north of the downtown core, but still on the subway line so again very easy to get to without blowing a lot of money on a taxi.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 2, 2005, 10:17 PM

That link you provided will be very close to most of your interviews. Probably the easiest will be Global Village Backpackers or HI-Toronto, but all will be close.

The Planet Traveler's is right by Chinatown and Kensington Market. Cheap good food, and safe, although the streets are not the cleanest. To get to your interviews you'd take the streetcar to Queen and then another streetcar along Queen.

The U of T one is close to Bloor St. and around there it's full of students. Lots of cheap restaurants on Bloor. Same streetcars, although I'm not sure where you'd get on it exactly since it goes underground around there. There's also a Bloor subway that goes to the Yonge subway.

HI-Toronto is close to the Eaton Centre and the interview at the Toronto Star building. There is a King streetcar that would go close to your interviews, and the subway on Yonge. It's also close to the gay district to if you're into that.

Global Village Backpackers is in the most interesting of the neighbourhoods IMO and it's just one streetcar to most of your interviews or to the Eaton Centre. But like I said, all the places are fairly close.

The furthest interview will be at 1800 Yonge, which is north of all the others.

What do you like to do anyway? Toronto's a big city so there's lots to do. eg. Take in a basketball game, take in the theatre, restaurants, CN Tower, etc.

Also: www.toronto.com

Spliff
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 10:21 PM

Torontoites? Isn't it "Torontonians"?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
Yup. But we knew what he meant

Chris

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2005, 11:39 PM

My mistake. I just made up what I thought sounded right.

Thanks for the info so far guys. That's just the kind of stuff I wanted to know (location and subway info). I didn't know Toronto had a subway so it's nice to know I can use that to get around. As for stuff to do, I'll only really worry about it if I'm there for a full week. Cause then I might have full days with nothing to do. I can probably survive if I only have interview days.

I'm planning to teach English in Japan and all the big schools that hire outside of Japan have offices in Toronto. One has a hiring session I was invited to over the weekend of Feb 25th so I'm thinking if I can get interviews for the other 3 within a few days surrounding that, it'll be the best use of the time. That way my flight and cost of staying there won't be all for one place.

Some do hiring in Chicago, New York, and one will even have a on-site interview at the University of Minnesota, but I thought if I could do it all at once it'd work out pretty well.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2005, 12:01 AM

By the way, the Japan Foundation office is on Bloor St, if that's of any use to you.

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2005, 12:10 AM

Or just say "Hogtownners".

And don't forget to take in a Leafs' game. Oh, wait....

Ken in Kelowna, B.C., home of the Memorial Cup champeens.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 12:37 AM

Jeez, we should have a MacNN meet and take you out or something!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Atriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 12:56 AM

PM sent. Pretty much the best and most efficent way to get around is by Bus/Street Car/Subway. The city pretty much follows the grid system so its fairly easy to navigate your way around it. If your looking for events and activities just pick up a copy of "Eye" Magazine or "Now" magazine, those are the two top free urban newspapers which contain a pretty comprehensive listings of the goings on in the city for a given week.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2005, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Atriot:
PM sent. Pretty much the best and most efficent way to get around is by Bus/Street Car/Subway. The city pretty much follows the grid system so its fairly easy to navigate your way around it. If your looking for events and activities just pick up a copy of "Eye" Magazine or "Now" magazine, those are the two top free urban newspapers which contain a pretty comprehensive listings of the goings on in the city for a given week.
www.nowtoronto.com & www.eye.net & www.torontolife.com & www.thestar.ca

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2005, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
Jeez, we should have a MacNN meet and take you out or something!
There certainly are a lot of Torontonians around here. I knew there were a few but you're just coming out in flocks.

Glad to hear it's all downtown including the hostels. That should make things easier.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2005, 01:40 AM

Glad to hear it's all downtown including the hostels. That should make things easier.
Just so you're aware... Fortunately, unlike a lot of North American cities, the downtown core of Torontoiteville is very safe, and much of its core is very much alive at night. (I find that some North American city downtown cores become somewhat unsafe at night, or simply shut down.)

Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 02:20 AM

If you like clubs go to the Richmond and Queen area on a Saturday.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2005, 09:11 PM

Well, here's an update on this situation. I have one interview in Chicago and then two in Toronto. I'm using frequent flyer miles to travel, but unfortunately even though all "saver" flights from Minneapolis to Toronto go through Chicago, they won't let me stop over for a night to get that one interview out of the way. So I have to take a bus to Chicago and then fly Chicago -> Toronto -> Minneapolis.

So anyway, I'm going to be in Toronto on March 29th, will probably go to Niagara falls on March 30th, and have job interviews on the 31st and the 1st. I'm leaving Friday night just to avoid another hotel cost.

Of course, I've only confirmed the interviews but haven't actually bought the plane/bus/hotel stuff yet.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 09:37 PM

Well, here's an update on this situation. I have one interview in Chicago and then two in Toronto. I'm using frequent flyer miles to travel, but unfortunately even though all "saver" flights from Minneapolis to Toronto go through Chicago, they won't let me stop over for a night to get that one interview out of the way. So I have to take a bus to Chicago and then fly Chicago -> Toronto -> Minneapolis.

So anyway, I'm going to be in Toronto on March 29th, will probably go to Niagara falls on March 30th, and have job interviews on the 31st and the 1st. I'm leaving Friday night just to avoid another hotel cost.

Of course, I've only confirmed the interviews but haven't actually bought the plane/bus/hotel stuff yet.
Best wishes of success to ya!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 2, 2005, 10:26 PM

I was surprised when I found out about Toronto's subway too, but considering how large Toronto is, it makes sense. It's also a well designed system, that integrates with CN and the city bus system pretty well. It's very functional.

Now the last time I was in Toronto was late Summer, 1978, so I'm sure a lot has changed, but the subway in particular struck me because of two things. It was CLEAN. It felt SAFE. If things are anything like the same there today, you won't have to worry about getting around on your own.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
Now the last time I was in Toronto was late Summer, 1978, so I'm sure a lot has changed, but the subway in particular struck me because of two things. It was CLEAN. It felt SAFE. If things are anything like the same there today, you won't have to worry about getting around on your own.
I have lived in Toronto all my life and have rode the subway 6 days a week for 20 years. I have never even seen or heard of someone I know having any sort of crime problem on it at any hour of the day. And yes it is totally clean, no garbage or graffiti.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2005, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I have lived in Toronto all my life and have rode the subway 6 days a week for 20 years. I have never even seen or heard of someone I know having any sort of crime problem on it at any hour of the day. And yes it is totally clean, no garbage or graffiti.
Can the same be said of Chicago?

I have to get around the Windy City for a day as well.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2005, 04:07 AM

Yeah, I was in NY last year and what struck me was that there's garbage everywhere. Cool city though. They've also got no issues with panhandlers. So far in Toronto, the city hasn't figured out what to do with panhandlers. The city doesn't want to be as harsh are they claim NY is with the panhandlers.

There is a fair amount of graffiti around where I live though. Mind you, it's still safe, even at 2 am. I kinda like the graffiti actually. There was a graffiti competition a few years back which was kind of interesting. One of the local buildings volunteered a wall facing a parking lot and a bunch of graffiti artists came out to compete against each other. All the paint and stuff was sponsored. Cool stuff.

Can the same be said of Chicago?

I have to get around the Windy City for a day as well.
No, there are definitely areas of Chicago to avoid, although I can't tell you which since I haven't been there in years.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 12:40 PM

And yes it is totally clean, no garbage or graffiti.
Exaggeration, but it's pretty good.

Good luck Xeo!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2005, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
There is a fair amount of graffiti
Yup but not on the subway like I was referring to.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Visnaut
Senior User
Mar 4, 2005, 10:31 AM

If you're gonna be in town, you're gonna need to grab a bite at some point, so I highly recommend you check out Salad King (map). Contrary to the name, they don't just serve salads, in fact, they have some of the best and cheapest meaty thai dishes in town! They're nice big plates too.

If you have time to explore, take the street car along College St., lots of interesting little trendy shops and restaurants there. Get out on Spadina and check out one of the bigger Mac stores in town (currently) called Computer Systems Centre. Then have a walk on Spadina, south of College, that's basically the northern tip of our Chinatown. And hop west onto Augusta St. and explore the eclectic Kensington Market. Some awesome little eateries and novelty shops there. Here's a map of this general area.

I'm sounding like a friggin brochure, but I love my city, and I'm always eager to show it off to newcomers!

Enjoy your stay, and most importantly: Best of luck with the interviews!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Visnaut:
If you're gonna be in town, you're gonna need to grab a bite at some point, so I highly recommend you check out Salad King (map). Contrary to the name, they don't just serve salads, in fact, they have some of the best and cheapest meaty thai dishes in town! They're nice big plates too.
Coincidentally, I just heard of Salad King for the first time yesterday, and I'm around that area quite often.

When did it open?

Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 11:20 AM

When did it open?
It has been there for at least 8 years.

Visnaut
Senior User
Mar 5, 2005, 12:41 AM

It has been there for at least 8 years.
Indeed, I only heard about it about two years ago since my girlfriend started going to Ryerson, which is right across the street. The amazing food coupled with prices that even students can pay for has made it quite the success.

I heard the actual place itself was pretty bare-bones and old until they completely renovated it a short while back. Not surprising. You go there at any time of the day and it's either full or nearly so. And the service is consistently friendly and accommodating.

I've yet to try the fine dining upstairs tho, which I'm quite curious to do so, now that I've practically tried everything on the menu.

bwahahax
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2005, 01:15 AM

I graduated from Ryerson a year ago, but used to eat at Salad King all the time. One of the few places where one can get a cheap and delicious vegan meal.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2005, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by Visnaut:
Sweet. Both of my interviews are on Yonge street. One is near the lake and the other is about 5KM into the city. Is there a street car that runs up and down that road to make my life easier?

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 04:39 AM

I'm planning to teach English in Japan ...
Cool, my brother did exactly that for 8 years. He taught at a couple of private colleges in Tokyo.
Let me know if you have any questions you'd like to ask him.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2005, 04:40 AM

Why Toronto LOL something you should know about Canada
- Winters = COLD and LOTS OF SNOW except Vancouver and Victoria
- Summers = HEAT AND LOTS OF IT except Vancouver and Victoria

there you have been informed!

PS Vancouvers AIR and Water is much cleaner
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2005, 04:54 AM

A couple of Facts about Toronto you should know about:
Fifth Largest City in North America
Crime Index of 40 with the Average mark being 100. In Comparison Vancouver is a 200, Seattle is 350 and Miami is a woaping 500. Based on 2001 stats making Toronot the safest city of its class in North America.

Its the multicultrual capital of the world. It is one of the most diverse cities.

Sports Teams include
Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL Hockey)
Toronto Argonauts (CFL Football)
Toronto Blue Jays (MLB Baseball)
Toronto Raptors (NBA Basketball)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2005, 06:34 AM

Sweet. Both of my interviews are on Yonge street. One is near the lake and the other is about 5KM into the city. Is there a street car that runs up and down that road to make my life easier?
Yonge subway.

BTW, some claim Yonge St. is the longest street in the world. But it isn't. It's still pretty damn long though.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Mar 5, 2005, 06:59 AM

My vote goes to "Toronthians" - has a nice historic ring to it. And where the heck do all the Canadians here come from - it's almost like there's been a silent invasion or something ... sneaky bunch.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2005, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
And where the heck do all the Canadians here come from
Canada?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Mar 5, 2005, 07:14 AM

Canada?
touch�.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2005, 08:07 AM

Yonge subway.

BTW, some claim Yonge St. is the longest street in the world. But it isn't. It's still pretty damn long though.
what do you mean it isnt? Its offically the longest street in the world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules