Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Has the shuffle changed how you listen?

Has the shuffle changed how you listen?
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2005, 06:05 PM

Has the shuffle changed how you listen to your music? How do you listen to music on your Shuffle?

I usually listen to full albums. I still do on my computer. However, when using my shuffle, I have used only the shuffle feature. I have the Billboard Top 100 for all the years since 1960, so for the last week it's been an all 80's week. I have a smart playlist selecting random songs from the 80s with a play count of zero. So when I plug my shuffle back in, all the play counts get updated and my smart playlist has new songs in it from which I Auto Fill. It's been great to have a fresh set of songs every day. I love it because I hear songs I haven't heard in years, songs I never would have otherwise heard. It was something I had meant to do with my computer, but it was the Shuffle which got me to finally start doing it.

So what do you do? Is it different from what you're used to?

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 01:02 PM

I listen to it the same way I listened to my iPod. I loaded my entire library and clicked random. Nothing has changed....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Has the shuffle changed how you listen to your music? How [i]do
No, I'm still using mostly my ears

-t

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 03:45 PM

All I know is that I like it 10x more than using my 15 gig ipod.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 03:50 PM

I love using the shuffle feature on my iPod. It's great to see what comes up next. You never know. It can go from some Ray Charles to Guns 'n Roses to White Zombie to Queen back to some Billy Joel. It keeps it interesting, sometimes making you scratch your head wondering why it shuffled the songs like it did.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 05:16 PM

It is like listening to the radio but they only play songs you like and no ads or talking.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2005, 06:10 PM

I've got too many different genres on my big iPod to make use of the "Shuffle Songs" feature on the main menu. And it's too much of a hassle to switch between shuffle and sequential play going through the menus to do it for a playlist.

So I've found I rarely use shuffle on my big iPod, I hate ending up listening to classical one second and then punk, not to mention having classical tracks or even mix discs play out of order.

On the Shuffle though, I limit it to one genre type at a time so it's really much more useful. So in that sense, I guess I have changed how I listen.

I like your idea of a smart playlist with zero playcount songs. I probably haven't listened to a third of my library, ever. I'll have to do that more often.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
I love using the shuffle feature on my iPod. It's great to see what comes up next. You never know. It can go from some Ray Charles to Guns 'n Roses to White Zombie to Queen back to some Billy Joel. It keeps it interesting, sometimes making you scratch your head wondering why it shuffled the songs like it did.
I just got my shuffle yesterday. I was quite amused when it followed up "Help Is Coming" from Crowded House with "Help!" by the Beatles. That's classic!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 08:35 AM

All I know is that I like it 10x more than using my 15 gig ipod
Sad but true. My iPod photo has hardly been touched since my shuffle arrived. I'm trying to justify keeping the photo.

My ShuffleBeast Smart Playlist is:

Songs Rated: 4 or 5 Stars

Genre is Not: Classical, Comedy, Gospel or Jazz

Time is Not Longer Than: 7 Minutes

That works for now. And when I want something from one of those genres usually excluded, I can move it over manually or simply AutoFill from Library. The shuffle's simplicity is its beauty. I'm shocked I don't miss a screen, but I genuinely don't. I know my own music.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

philc
Mar 13, 2005, 10:29 AM

I use the shuffle mainly for listening to Podcasts on the way to/from work. I load them onto the shuffle in the order that I want to hear them. If I happen to want music or have my wife in the car I switch to shuffle and it is pretty good. The 1GB holds more than enough music to take a good sample of any collection.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2005, 01:35 PM

I've used my shuffle for about two weeks now and for now I have about 14 albums that I let shuffle through, but once I get a HD to house all my music, I want to create a list of all my favorite songs, old and new, to shuffle on through. I really love this lil thing, and it's ashame that I don't use my 20GB iPod as much as I used to anymore.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
sometimes making you scratch your head wondering why it shuffled the songs like it did.
Uh, it's random?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2005, 11:17 AM

Just out of curiosity, why are you using a shuffle more then the other iPods?

I just picked up an iPod mini. Nice size, 6GB.

While I understand why people don't need a screen on the shuffle, I like the screen because I listen to a TON of music all over the place... and if I like something, I usually buy the full album (I buy a considerable number of soundtracks and "hit mixes")

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 02:36 AM

I like the shuffle because it's light enough not to weigh my polo shirts' breast pocket down. If I don't have a breast pocket, I can use the lanyard (hidden underneath my shirt, of course). I already have a 3G iPod and I can't justify getting a mini. The 512MB shuffle was the right price with the right features (especially being able to use it as a USB keychain drive), and it's just so damn light.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 12:19 PM

The shuffle is soooo light n tiny that you don't feel the thing on you at all, that's why I like it. I buy albums at a time, vs just singles, too, and have a pretty respectible collection no doubt but not having a bulky iPod in my pocket is soooo much of a plus...

I advocate telling non ipod owners to get either a new mini or 20GB, but I always tell reg iPod owners to get the shuffle...best compliment to the reg iPod.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2005, 05:32 PM

i would say the shuffle has indirectly changed the way i listen to music. i didn't really start using itunes until i got my shuffle because i have no desire to rip all my old cds yet, which i call old because i haven't bought a cd in three years during which time i got my music from the radio and local deejays. now i only listen to my downloads (i still listen to radio).

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

GoCats
Apr 8, 2005, 08:08 PM

I actually just returned my Shuffle for a Mini. My biggest complaint about the Shuffle is that it didn't update the song's metadata. I have a play list of the songs that I haven't heard in the last 40 days. Well, even though I just listened to them on the shuffle, then sync'd, the songs 'Last Played Date' didn't change, so the songs were not removed from my play list.

If it weren't for that I would have kept the Shuffle... even though I did miss having a display to be able to change the song ratings, and see what song is actually playing. I could have lived with that.

As for shuffle mode, it hasn't really changed my life like the iPod itself. I also have a iPod Photo 60GB... having my entire music collection with me on road trips is AWESOME. I always hated having to decide what CD to put in next when I was driving. I never have to think about what to listen to next!

Vsx1
Apr 8, 2005, 10:19 PM

I've had my 512 shuffle for a few weeks and I'm thrilled with it. The battery hasn't changed to orange yet. I use my shuffle about 8-10 hours a day @ work. I find that the shuffle starts running out of new songs at about the 7-8th hour (128k AAC files). Two of my other co-workers have HD based iPods but they don't use them...dunno why. The shuffle feature is cool...I load it randomly thru iTunes not the switch on the back. My only complaint is that the conversion from Apple Lossless to 128k AAC takes a long time....couple hours via usb 1.1. my 2 cents...
Vsx1
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.appleisp.net/~vsxone

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2005, 11:38 PM

Don't have a big iPod, just the 1GB Shuffle. First time I fired it up, I combined a bunch of musical cuts with a few comedy ones. The Shuffle followed "Amazing Grace" with George Carlin's "Religion" (There's an invisible man who lives in the sky...) and topped that a little later with the combo of Bach's "Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor" and Tom Lehrer's "Vatican Rag." Out of all the songs on the device, those were the only four religion-related pieces. Amazing! I got a Shuffle with the same irreverent attitude toward religion that I have.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2005, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Has the shuffle changed how you listen to your music? How do you listen to music on your Shuffle?
No, not really, but instead of my CD player, I use an iPod Shuffle 512
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

resuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2005, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by cmoney:
I like your idea of a smart playlist with zero playcount songs. I probably haven't listened to a third of my library, ever. I'll have to do that more often.
Heh.

I have the following playlists set up in iTunes:

5 star, last play > 1 day
4 star, last play > 4 days
3 star, last play > 2 weeks
2 star, last play > 6 weeks
0 star, last play > 4 weeks
Weighted (any of the above)

This way I get to hear EVERYTHING eventually, since once something's played it vanishes from the Weighted list until it's been X days/weeks. The reason for zero stars getting more play than 2 stars is that 0 tends to be stuff I haven't made up my mind about yet...

The only problem with the shuffle is that it doesn't update the "last played" date, so what I hear on my shuffle tags along with "Weighted", it doesn't help drive it.

Been tweaking this since last August, it works pretty well. What the shuffle has done is make me add a couple of extra playlists for stuff that works well when I'm out and about but is too distracting as background music in iTunes... the smart playlist I load the shuffle from (I don't use Autofill straight) thus gets a slightly different set of music.
レスナ

resuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2005, 12:34 AM

Good idea whoever suggested filtering by play count: I've added a "select least often played" rule to my smart playlist for filling my iPod Shuffle. That should give me the same effect and cycle music out of the shuffle after I've listened to it a bunch...
( Last edited by resuna; Apr 10, 2005 at 12:40 AM. )
レスナ

resuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2005, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by GoCats:
I actually just returned my Shuffle for a Mini. My biggest complaint about the Shuffle is that it didn't update the song's metadata. I have a play list of the songs that I haven't heard in the last 40 days. Well, even though I just listened to them on the shuffle, then sync'd, the songs 'Last Played Date' didn't change, so the songs were not removed from my play list.
The shuffle doesn't have a clock chip. It does update the "total plays" count, though. And it's got better sound than the Mini.
レスナ

resuna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2005, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by lavar78:
I just got my shuffle yesterday. I was quite amused when it followed up "Help Is Coming" from Crowded House with "Help!" by the Beatles. That's classic!
Heh. My shuffle seems to play Chumbawamba WAY more often than it seems it should.
レスナ

bedoughty
Apr 10, 2005, 03:28 AM

I just sold my 60 GB ipod photo cuz of my 1 gb shuffle. The idea seemed insane when it first came to me but.. I'm in the same boat as a lot of others here; three weeks after I got my shuffle I realized I hadn't touched my photo once, except for transferring a couple files, which can be done with a regular external a lot cheaper.

So out w/the old 'n busted (ipod photo) and hello new shuffle hotness!
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by resuna:
Heh. My shuffle seems to play Chumbawamba WAY more often than it seems it should.
Mine too.

Strange.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by resuna:
In general, I have the impression that my iPods (60 GB photo and 1 GB shuffle) as well as iTunes have a weird random number generator for shuffle mode. If I make a histogram of songs played x no. of times, there are many songs with 0 or 1 count and many with the maximum count, but a huge drop in the center. Certainly doesn't look like a very Gaussian distribution to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules