Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook 15" LCD vs iBook 14"

PowerBook 15" LCD vs iBook 14"
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 26, 2005, 11:46 AM

Is the screen quality noticeably better on the PB 15" vs. the iBook 14"? I have a prof who asked me about which I suggest getting. The iBook seems like the better choice because of price, since he doesn't seem to care about or need all the extra features, but I thought about telling him about screen quality until I realized I don't really know. I've only read bits and pieces, mostly comparing the 12" screens to the larger ones. So if you've actually experienced both, is there a noticeable quality difference?

Also, any other reasons why a PB would be better than an iBook? For some reason I don't want to suggest the iBook. I suggest the iBook 12 over the PB 12 all the time. But the iBook 14 has always been a "meh" machine in my eyes. But he's one of those guys who uses one emacs window to do everything so he doesn't really need the bells and whistles that come with a PB. He said he won't be using an external display. He wasn't interested in the backlit keyboard, and I don't think he cares about the PC slot. I guess the iBook is the sensible choice?

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 12:45 PM

iBook does sound like the right choice for him.

With that said, the screen on the 15 is way better. It's much higher resolution, 1280x854, compared to the iBook's 1024x768.

He probably wouldn't care between the two, and what he loses in screen quality, he'll make up for in battery life and airport reception.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 12:45 PM

powerbook! well i've never used an ibook, but you cant really go wrong with the powerbook. hes elligible for the education discount too =)
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

mrgreen4242
Apr 26, 2005, 12:51 PM

The 14" iBook screen looks ok until you compare it to something else. Anything else. Then it looks like crap. The only people I recommend 14" iBooks to are those who have poor eyesight, or really really need the slight extra speed or SD they have over the 12" iBook, and can't afford a PowerBook.

If he doesn't mind the small size, the iBook 12" screen is pretty darn good, but the 15" PB display blows it away. On the other had, you can get a 12" iBook, upgraded RAM, an external FW HD, and a nice 19" LCD for home and still spend less than the Powerbook.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 12:51 PM

The LCD quality on the 15" is much, much better than the 14" iBook LCD. No comparison. Just go into any store that has both of them and pull up the same page and you'll see that text in the iBook is fuzzy and hard on the eyes. Explanation: The resolution on the 14" is the same as on the 12" iBook, so the pixels are simply further apart, which I call "fuzzy". I worked on a 14" iBook for quite a few hours and had eye fatigue and headache. If you value your eyesight, get the best screen you can afford.

If he wants a smaller laptop, then he should consider the 12" PB, provided his eyes are OK with the smaller text. However, the 15" LCD is better than the 12" LCD, though it's not as absolutely glaring a difference as the 14" iBook. Bottom line: presumably the edu price isn't a hurdle for a professor, he should get the 15".

Forum Links
Forum Rules