Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mouse suggestions

Mouse suggestions
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2005, 07:39 PM

I'm thing of getting a new mouse, mostly so I have a button I can dedicate to dashboard. I'm thinking of getting a Microsoft Intellimouse. There are some 5 button ones that look normal. Those freaky-shaped mice don't strike me as something I'd want to use.

Experiences? How are the optical sensors on MS mice? I've heard mice are something MS actually do well. Is $15 shipped (ebay) a good price for it? What do you use? I have bluetooth on my iBook. Is it worth going that route? I don't mind the cord so I figured I'd save the money. Plus I've heard reports from some about BT mice being more of a pain then a joy.

I apologize in advance because I know this topic isn't a new one. But it's always interesting to see what people use.

[edit] Here's the one I'm thinking of getting.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 07:47 PM

i dunno if price is a factor. but i got the logictech mx1000 and its the best mouse i've ever owned. by far.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9043

edit: i dunno if its just me but the intellimouse feels very awkward in my hand.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 08:26 PM

I don't like the MS ones because the buttons feel cheap and the side ones are to big and get in the way. I vot for the logitech MX1000 (I have an MX700 and wouldn't trade it for anything)

itistoday
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 08:33 PM

M$ mice own. I'm using one right now. Just make sure you use USB Overdrive as your driver for it and you'll be fine.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 25, 2005, 09:34 PM

I like Logitech's mice. Their plain-jane optical mouse is nice and smooth, and has three buttons-the center one being a scroll wheel as well. We've used Targus' mini optical mouse quite successfully with my wife's iBook, too. Again, it has three buttons with the center one being a scroll wheel.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 10:03 PM

I bought a Kensington mouse the other day. (scroll, 3 button, wireless, optical=$30)

http://www.kensington.com/html/5464.html

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mafia
i dunno if price is a factor. but i got the logictech mx1000 and its the best mouse i've ever owned. by far.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9043

edit: i dunno if its just me but the intellimouse feels very awkward in my hand.
Mafia - how far away can you be from the transmitter? Does it have to be 'within sight' of the mouse?

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 10:37 PM

have you tried one of these?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
Mafia - how far away can you be from the transmitter? Does it have to be 'within sight' of the mouse?
i usually keep mine 1 -2 feet from the transmitter. but as i test it, the mouse still works 10 feet or more from the dock. its still in direct sight of it though.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

rasmusnet
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 01:30 AM

i usually keep mine 1 -2 feet from the transmitter. but as i test it, the mouse still works 10 feet or more from the dock. its still in direct sight of it though.
Hi Mafia
Don't the Logitech work with the internal BT? Or what PB do you have?
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 01:35 AM

Logitech

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2005, 02:27 AM

I don't understand why BT hasn't become more popular for mice... I always see these nice mice but they're RF... I DON"T WANT RF!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2005, 02:36 AM

I'd avoid a mouse. Get a trackball. Logitech's Optical Trackman is a work of beauty. I use one at home and work. Plenty of options for button configuration and very comfy (unless you're lefty). Also, easy to do precise graphic work with without the wear and tear from a mouse.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 26, 2005, 02:58 AM

[This is my 3rd time writing this post, gah!]

If wireless is on the table, it has to be BT. I have an iBook and I need to take my mouse with me. Needing the dock so that I can use RF is unacceptable for my situation. My current mouse is a corded, optical logitech with 3 buttons + scroll. It's fine, but I'm looking to have a few more buttons for Expose/Dashboard. I've never gotten into using Expose because using the F-keys is such a pain. Considering you can't use Expose/Dashboard without the mouse, it makes more sense for the activation button to be on that. Then you can do it one handed.

So I'm thinking of going for that cheapy MS one off eBay, for now. Randman, trackballs sound interesting but every time I've tried to use one, I fumble around. I've never given it a chance so it would be a while before it became an efficient alternative. For now, I'm going to stick with a mouse.

Are those funky-shaped mice really more comfortable than regular mice? I don't see the attraction.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2005, 12:12 PM

M$ mice are incredibly reliable in my experiences and the scrollwheel is tight and has a nice action to it.

The Logitechs are less expensive but feel lighter and crappier to me. But then again I kinda liked the hockey puck so...

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 26, 2005, 12:16 PM

Logitech MX900 (BT) here. Best mouse I've ever owned. When buying a cordless mouse, I always look for one with a cradle - recharging and stuff. Because switching batteries is a pain in the behind.

Btw, I have the same Intellimouse you linked to - worked very well (aside from the fact that I'd never go back to being "cabled") but the scroll wheel wore out after 3 years.

Cipher13
Apr 26, 2005, 12:25 PM

Got an MX700 (with keyboard) here, and it's awesome.

I also have a cordless iTouch (G4), and a Marble Mouse.

All Logitech, all awesome.

I'm still a trackball person though, and the Marble Mouse rocks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2005, 12:35 PM

Ok, Xeo, enlighten me, why this threat in the Lounge and not in Peripherals ?
There are at least 1 billion topics on that, if not more...

-t

Turias
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 12:53 PM

They're a little more expensive than the ebay mouse you linked, but really, the Logitech MX1000 and MX510 are amazing. I have the 510, and couldn't go without it.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 26, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Ok, Xeo, enlighten me, why this threat in the Lounge and not in Peripherals ?
There are at least 1 billion topics on that, if not more...

-t
You're right. My bad.

Originally Posted by Turias
They're a little more expensive than the ebay mouse you linked, but really, the Logitech MX1000 and MX510 are amazing. I have the 510, and couldn't go without it.
That 510 looks interesting. Maybe I'll go for that. As much as I'd like the geeky-cool BT 900 eff pointed out, I can live with the cord to save the cash. But that 510 looks to be the same form factor, just wired. I'll give it some thought.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 01:45 PM

Microsoft makes damned good mice. I use a S+ARCK one right now.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Maccare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 05:41 AM

The S+ark mouse rules.... I bought it from Amazon for 14.99... Great Price for this great mouse....
Mark

csi95
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 09:48 AM

Let me offer up a different suggestion:

Evoluent Veritcal Mouse

It may look weird, but this is probably the best mouse you can use if you're going to be on the computer for long periods of time. It's designed to fit the natural shape of your arm, wrist and hand. It takes some getting used to, but it's worth it.

After using computers for over 20 years, I started getting cramps and very sore hands after a day at the PC. I was using M$ mice, which I loved, but it was just becoming too painful. I switched to this kind of mouse, and I've used one for almost two years now, and since that point -- no pain.

The only real drawback is the price -- it's not a $7 mouse like you can get at CompUSA. It's about $80, but I think it's worth it.

Worked for me, anyway...

Forum Links
Forum Rules