Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Java 1.5 not in Tiger??

Java 1.5 not in Tiger??
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2005, 12:02 AM

I thought Java 1.5 was supposed to be in Tiger. I thought there was a time when people were ripping the binaries out of the developer previews and sticking them into their Panther builds. What happened? Everything I read in Apple's documentation says 1.4 and I just tried to compile a test file using some 1.5 stuff and it failed.

I hope I'm just mistaken and this can easily be cleared up. Please tell me that 1.5 is in Tiger.

[edit] Apparently it is not clear that I'm not asking for support. I'm not asking "OMG HOW CAN I USE JAVA 1.5!?!?!" If I'm asking anything, it's "Where is it?" which isn't a support question because the answer is completely informational (meaning doesn't help me, just brings me up to speed) which has always been perfectly fine as would the question "Is Java 1.5 in Tiger?" be.

But mostly, I'm just bitching that Java 1.5 isn't here yet.

I hope that clears things up.
( Last edited by Xeo; Apr 22, 2005 at 12:41 PM. )

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 12:06 AM

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 12:19 AM

No way... College compsci classes are relying on java 1.5 now. Since I will be majoring in Computer Science, I hope this doesn't mean I'll have to buy a PC laptop. I could try running java 1.5 for PPC linux, but I'd rather Apple include it in OS X.

Or maybe Apple has something bigger coming - perhaps a simultaneous release of java 1.5 for Panther and Tiger through Software Update. If I can get 1.5 on Panther, I won't need to upgrade to Tiger.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
No way... College compsci classes are relying on java 1.5 now. Since I will be majoring in Computer Science, I hope this doesn't mean I'll have to buy a PC laptop. I could try running java 1.5 for PPC linux, but I'd rather Apple include it in OS X.

Or maybe Apple has something bigger coming - perhaps a simultaneous release of java 1.5 for Panther and Tiger through Software Update. If I can get 1.5 on Panther, I won't need to upgrade to Tiger.
Well, I've gotten along by sshing into the CS lab computers and doing all my Java stuff on there, but yeah, I know what you mean. Although it isn't much of a requirement. I mean, I could get by downgrading all the example code to 1.4.2 but that would be a pain.

I can only assume Apple will release 1.5 for Tiger through a software update.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 12:53 AM

How can someone check what version Tiger has if they are lucky enough to have it?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2005, 01:51 AM

$ java -showversion
java version "1.4.2_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_07-215)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-50, mixed mode)

[edit]
Ah, it is coming. I think I will install this.

2: Where is Java 1.5 (J2SE 5.0)?
Developer Preview 7 of J2SE 5.0 Release 1 is now available at the ADC Download Site. The preview requires Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger Build 8A425, also available on the ADC Download Site to seed key holders. Access to pre-release Apple software is discussed in the ADC Frequently Asked Questions. There are currently no plans to release J2SE 5.0 for Mac OS X Panther or any earlier releases.
From here. Looks like 1.5 will not be coming for Panther, though.
( Last edited by Xeo; Apr 22, 2005 at 01:57 AM. )

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 01:53 AM

I also find safari crashing on some Java that worked fine in 10.3.8

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mac15
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 03:28 AM

Java 1.5 is currently on the ADC - so maybe we'll see it with 10.4.1

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Xeo
I thought Java 1.5 was supposed to be in Tiger. I thought there was a time when people were ripping the binaries out of the developer previews and sticking them into their Panther builds. What happened? Everything I read in Apple's documentation says 1.4 and I just tried to compile a test file using some 1.5 stuff and it failed.

I hope I'm just mistaken and this can easily be cleared up. Please tell me that 1.5 is in Tiger.

Java 1.5 has never been a part of the Tiger seeds. Apple has kept them separated and the Java 1.5 install will hopefully be released next Friday - Final Candidate 1 has just been seeded.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Xeo
I thought Java 1.5 was supposed to be in Tiger.[...] I just tried to compile a test file using some 1.5 stuff and it failed.
No Tiger support threads... period.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
He is a Moderator though, they have special powers.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
"I just tried to compile a test file" read "I wanted to make absolutely sure it's not here before I go bitch about it, so I'll test on my own first."

This is a bitching thread. I'm pissed that Java 1.5 didn't make it into Tiger and I'm either letting others know, or finding out that everyone else knows already.

Get over it. Exactly what support did you think I was going to get?

Originally Posted by JLL
Java 1.5 has never been a part of the Tiger seeds. Apple has kept them separated and the Java 1.5 install will hopefully be released next Friday - Final Candidate 1 has just been seeded.
That's good news. I read so many reports of Java being in Tiger, I never bothered to find out if it was true or not. It would be nice, to be sure.

piracy
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 12:46 PM

J2SE 5.0 (JDK version 1.5.0_02) will be available as a download for Tiger on or around Tiger's shipping date.

Since Mac OS X is not a tier 1 platform for Sun for Java (i.e., a platform for which Sun itself delivers the Java environment), Apple must wait for certain milestones and do porting itself, a process which takes time.

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 07:15 PM

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 03:10 AM

What does Java 1.5 do for me, an end user?

Chris

off/lang
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 03:15 AM

It lets you run programs that are written in Java 1.5
dearinter.net consensus life coaching.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 03:21 AM

Which ones are those?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 03:32 AM

chabig: currently none, but in theory it should provide improvements to 1.4.2 apps as well. In this case it's mostly for programming students who need it. Thankfully, Apple has provided it at the link above.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 09:30 AM

Thanks, Catfish Man. I did search Google for it. It looks like it simplifies some programming constructs and ought to be backward compatible with 1.4.2. I'll probably install it.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules