Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quick/semi-urgent Motion question...

Quick/semi-urgent Motion question...
Synotic
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 04:09 PM

OK, I am working on some movie effects right now, and will be working with a few group members in an hour or so. We're planning on meeting in a G5 video lab. While the computers are entirely capable; they don't have Motion installed. The access privileges won't let me install it either. I have my own computer and an external hard drive, both with Motion installed. I have two questions:

1) Are Macs in lab settings generally/almost always preset to not allow firewire target disk mode? I would love to do this, but I'm pretty sure it won't work.

2) Secondly, is there any way that I can get Motion running simply off the hard drive itself? Or does Motion need a running system? Since these are lab computers, I of course can't modify anything in the main libraries or system folders, but can I perhaps copy over the key components into user libraries/system folders? Would it run?

I'd really like to use the G5s as they have better screens and are much faster, but I'm not sure if I can run all the software I need. Any help is appreciated

P.S. I will be trying all of these methods soon, but if anyone has any suggestions, or knows that something won't work, please tell.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 04:31 PM

Your motion license isn't going to legally allow you to install it on a machine in the lab, that you don't own or control.

And if I were the lab manager, and some jackass came in and installed software on machines that I'd locked down, I'd bar him from ever coming back in the lab.

Why not ask the lab manager about it, rather than trying to break through his machine management policies?

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 04:46 PM

I'm not trying to circumvent anything. I wanted to know if I could run the program off of either my laptop or my external hard drive. If I'm able to copy over the program into the user folder and have it run, I don't exactly see that as breaking into anything. All I'm trying to do is use the resources I'm provided and run another program. You can also run and install things, as the username and password are listed on all the computers. I'm not at all expecting to permanently install my own software on these computers as they're reimaged every night. It would only be on as long as I'm here. Quite frankly, I didn't see it as an overly horrible thing to do, but I'll see if the lab technicians are at all accomodating.

Forum Links
Forum Rules