Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Using <embed> to include a site?

Using <embed> to include a site?
Synotic
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 10:50 PM

Hi. I'm working in a limited environment right now which restricts object tags, iframes, ssi, and any form of scripting. I'd like to include some outside pages on the site. With Safari, I can simply do the following:

<embed src="http://www.apple.com" />

which appears in a little viewport on the page, which I can style accordingly. On Firefox, however, the page doesn't show at all. If I try to embed an image, or some other object, however; it does work. Is it possible to have Firefox include a website, just using the embed tag? Thanks

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2006, 01:01 AM

why on earth would you want to do this?

what about plain old frames? or go new school and do it with AJAX! or if you had PHP you could use cURL.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mania
why on earth would you want to do this?

what about plain old frames? or go new school and do it with AJAX! or if you had PHP you could use cURL.
It's more of a proof of concept, if anything. But like I said, frames won't work and neither will ajax, as it requires some form of scripting. It just surprises me that embed works with images and other files in firefox but not simple text/html. I even tried doing 'type="text/html"' but it didn't seem to work. This definitely seems possible.. but I just can't figure it out

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2006, 12:57 PM

<embed> isn't even part of any HTML specification. It's an obsolete Netscape 3 tag you're best off avoiding. Try <object> instead. There's also <iframe>, which is typically used for ads and things.

ciparis
Mar 11, 2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Synotic
Hi. I'm working in a limited environment right now which restricts object tags, iframes, ssi, and any form of scripting. I'd like to include some outside pages on the site. With Safari, I can simply do the following:

<embed src="http://www.apple.com" />

which appears in a little viewport on the page, which I can style accordingly. On Firefox, however, the page doesn't show at all. If I try to embed an image, or some other object, however; it does work. Is it possible to have Firefox include a website, just using the embed tag? Thanks
That sounds like MySpace. Similar restrictions at any rate.

Embed is the only way I've found to reliably pull external content, but that's generally limited to flash and the like. That's an interesting find about Safari's use of embed src to behave in an iframe-like manner. Divs and css can give you broad layout control, but that doesn't help much with external content aside from images.

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ciparis
That sounds like MySpace. Similar restrictions at any rate.

Embed is the only way I've found to reliably pull external content, but that's generally limited to flash and the like. That's an interesting find about Safari's use of embed src to behave in an iframe-like manner. Divs and css can give you broad layout control, but that doesn't help much with external content aside from images.
Thanks for all the help I didn't set my heart on it or anything; just wanted to see if it was possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules