Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > What's slowing down my Airport connection?

What's slowing down my Airport connection?
Synotic
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 12:51 PM

I'm a little confuddled about this one, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I had used wireless internet for the past 4 years with good speed. Now, I've moved and was able to set up my Airport Express and everything... however, now everything is slow. Not necessarily slow in loading, but slow in resolving the connection in the first place. Sometimes, if I go to Google... wait about 30 seconds for it to load (the average time), then click on another page on Google's site, it will load relatively quickly.

I would probably chalk this one off as some odd network problem, but my roommate, with his MacBook Pro across the room has instant speed. Other people down my hall get good speed as well. I, meanwhile, with my PowerBook G4 placed right next to the base station get unusable internet.

So I'm guessing this has something to do with my internet settings. I can be more specific with my exact settings, if necessary, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be wrong? I'm running the latest version of OS X and have all the updates and whatnot.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: As an extra note, if I go to the IP address of a site, it loads instantly, unless it references another site's domain. So I still think it's some kind of DNS/host resolving problem.

confuzedwizard
Sep 10, 2006, 12:59 PM

maybe your antenna is damaged.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 04:38 PM

Do you have a DNS server set in your networking preferences? If not try using 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 as your DNS see if that speeds it back up, at least we will know where to start.

Forum Links
Forum Rules