Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Unusually high CPU usage in MS Word?

Unusually high CPU usage in MS Word?
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2007, 09:02 PM

Hello all,

I'm running 10.4.9 on a PB G4 with 1.5G of RAM, and am using MS Word 2004.

This is what my CPU usage looks like just after I log in:

This is what it looks like when I open the file I'm working on (60k, 7 pages, has both English and Japanese text in it):

And this is what the CPU usage is like when I scroll through the document. The left side is when I scroll slowly, and the right side is when I scroll quickly:

A copy of the file I'm using is available here. For reference, I get less CPU usage (it's still there, but not as much) and smoother scrolling on a 5.4MB, 122 page word file.

It seems strange to me that something seemingly as simple as scrolling through a Word document would put that much of a load on the CPU. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Thanks.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Sethro
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 10:10 PM

That is actually a little odd considering that your Powerbook runs on a PPC Processor and not an Intel CPU which eliminates the need for Rosetta emulation software. Your RAM looks pretty good too, what I would do is try to repair permissions and verify that everything that is running the way it should.

As a last resort I would try to go ahead and reinstall Microsoft Office from stratch and make sure that you have installed all the updates via Microsoft AutoUpdate. I also noticed that your running Mac OSX 10.4.9 maybe you should try upgrading to Mac OSX 10.4.10 perhaps the issues has been resolved in the update.

EDIT: I opened the same file with my Macbook and got these results. Keep in mind that I'm using an Intel CPU.

( Last edited by Sethro; Jun 27, 2007 at 10:22 PM. )

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 01:18 PM

I've got a 1st Gen Black MacBook with 2GB of Ram and Word idles the same as Sethro and when scrolling up and down hits 50-60%

NeoOffice on the same doc idles at 0.10%, scrolling 20-24%

Both Word and NeoOffice are the latest version running on 10.4.10

Jowy
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 07:07 PM

Just throwing out a wild guess, but could it be the check spelling and grammar as you type feature that might be causing such a high level of usage?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2007, 11:19 PM

Turn off Live Word Count. This helps a lot. For some reason, Live Word Count really sucks up processor cycles. Classic Microsoft-for-Mac programming (read: crappy).

Forum Links
Forum Rules