Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > BBC content on iphone

BBC content on iphone
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2008, 04:31 AM

Just thought I'd big up the BBC. The normal iplayer is flash based which makes it a no no on the iphone. In an idle moment I decided to take a look at it on my phone anyway.

A few clicks later and I was watching Dr Who delivered on my phone in quicktime format. My girls spent a happy hour or so on the next car journy watching MI High in the back of our car on the way to friends.

Being able to watch high quality bbc video on my phone is great!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2008, 07:41 AM

Cool stuff. The CBC on the other hand is nowhere to be found.

danangdoc
Aug 27, 2008, 10:34 AM

BBC has a lot to offer. I recently bought ($1.99) an episode of Robin Hood. Worst ever! I can't believe how bad it is. Must be for 8-year olds. Then I looked at the series "Primeval" which is pretty good Sci-Fi, and excellent CGI. The first show was FREE! 46-1/2 minutes, commercial free. I bought the cables and connected my iPod Touch to my t.v., and watched it on the big screen. The rest of the series is like 15.99 for the season, which is under a dollar each, or maybe 1.01. So now my iPod is the one of the smallest portable DVD players out there, and I can take it on my boat and play a bunch of shows and movies on my flat-screen! (different cable though).

Andrew Stephens  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by danangdoc View Post
BBC has a lot to offer. I recently bought ($1.99) an episode of Robin Hood. Worst ever! I can't believe how bad it is. Must be for 8-year olds. Then I looked at the series "Primeval" which is pretty good Sci-Fi, and excellent CGI. The first show was FREE! 46-1/2 minutes, commercial free. I bought the cables and connected my iPod Touch to my t.v., and watched it on the big screen. The rest of the series is like 15.99 for the season, which is under a dollar each, or maybe 1.01. So now my iPod is the one of the smallest portable DVD players out there, and I can take it on my boat and play a bunch of shows and movies on my flat-screen! (different cable though).
Primeval is ITV not BBC (commercial station rather than state broadcasting. Robin Hood is indeed c0ck. It was commissioned double quick to fill the "oh crap we've finished all the episodes of Dr Who we have" slot.

The BBC iPhone content is from the iplayer, not itunes. iPlayer is all BBC shows made available as streaming video for 7 days after broadcast for free. It's great to be able to get streaming video over 3G on th eiPhone. Just saying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules