Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G family plans - How much is your monthly bill?

iPhone 3G family plans - How much is your monthly bill?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2009, 09:15 PM

I have the first gen iPhone on a family plan with one other person. We are both going to upgrade to the 3G S. Does anyone here have a family plan with 2 iPhones (3G not 2G), and only pay for 450 min and no text messages. Could you tell me what your monthly bill is?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2009, 09:43 PM

Here's what AT&T told me: Family plans qualify for the talk time portion of the rate plan. Each iPhone must have its own $30/mo data plan. That's it.

So if you simply add that $30 more for the second iPhone, you should have a pretty good idea what your bill will be. And considering how variable and "option-dependent" an AT&T wireless bill can be, that might be the best way to see what you'll be paying.

I currently have a family plan with three lines, and one line has a 200 text option for $5/mo. No data plan at the moment, since all three phones are RAZRs. I pay less than $90/mo for that. I also have a group discount that works out to about 10%, so figure it's more like $100/mo without the discount. When I get my iPhone in the near future, that should only go up by $30/mo.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2009, 09:56 PM

The problem is there are always the extra fees tacked on, like taxes, erates and other fees that add 5 to 10 bucks to the bill. That's why I wanted to know what the actual amount is people are paying. What shows up on their credit card bill?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2009, 12:16 AM

I've been wondering this myself. Adding another line is $10? Right?

So conceivably I could have one line for $40, a second line for $10 and two iPhone data plans for another $60... which would be $110 + random fees.

The reason I ask is that if you look at the iPhone family plans, the one for two lines starts at $129 bucks which seems pretty high. Then again, it comes with 700 minutes, which we really don't need.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2009, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I've been wondering this myself. Adding another line is $10? Right?

So conceivably I could have one line for $40, a second line for $10 and two iPhone data plans for another $60... which would be $110 + random fees.

The reason I ask is that if you look at the iPhone family plans, the one for two lines starts at $129 bucks which seems pretty high. Then again, it comes with 700 minutes, which we really don't need.
Unfortunately, a 700 plan is what you get with a "family plan". 450 is for an individual plan and you can't add a line to a 450 plan without converting it to a more expensive family plan (adding a line to a 450 plan will cost you, at minimum, 40 more for a second 450 plan OR 30 more to convert it to a shared 700 plan - 70 which includes 2 lines with each additional line beyond that costing 10 more dollars). If you really do the math, a family plan with only 2 lines saves you very little as opposed to 2 individual lines. It's really when you get 3 or more lines that you start seeing meaningful savings. This is especially true with iPhone's since there is no way to share iPhone data plans - the only place you can really save money is on the messaging (which it sounds like you don't use). Even then, you don't save a ton unless you have 3,4, or 5 phones on your plan.

fanchee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2009, 11:36 AM

I have a family plan with 2 iphones, sharing 1400 minutes and I do have the unlimited text plan (which is $30 total, not each.) My bill is $179.99 plus taxes. I do get a 21% discount on the rate plan only because of my employer. So my grand total monthly bill is around $165 for 2 iphones.

Breakdown looks like this:

$80 - 1400 shared minutes
$30 - data plan for 1st iphone
$39.99 - data plan and extra iphone line
$30 - unlimited text for both phones
----------
$179.99

Hope this is helpful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules