Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone used any "hair restoration" products?

Anyone used any "hair restoration" products?
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2010, 09:58 PM

I'm 22 years old and my hair is receding a good bit ans I figure now would be the ideal time to stop/slowdown/reverse the process. Need some advice on what to do. Does Rogaine work?

Railroader
Banned
Feb 2, 2010, 10:00 PM

I think clippers work best. Just take off the guards and run it around your head for a while.

Accept it. It is a natural part of life and being a man.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2010, 10:12 PM

It is hormones, not much you can do about it for now.

You do not need hair to have fun.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I'm 22 years old and my hair is receding a good bit ans I figure now would be the ideal time to stop/slowdown/reverse the process. Need some advice on what to do. Does Rogaine work?
I posted about this a while back. A couple of years back I started seeing some thinning and was unhappy about it, so I looked online for non-prescription remedies since I didn't want to take the leap to prescription medication yet. After the research I did at the time, I tried Procerin, and I was satisfied with it. It seemed to make a positive difference for me in arresting to a noticeable degree the thinning I had been seeing. I'm still on the original supply I bought and only take it during periods when I think I'm seeing those same areas get a bit thinner. I'm a satisfied customer. If I were to reorder such a product, it would be between Procerin and Hair Genesis, which seems like a very similar but more high profile brand. One thing that I learned is that at certain points of the year my hair line can look a little thinner (we're constantly growing and losing hair according to a hair cycle), so I don't worry too much but do take the Procerin during that period - maybe it only makes me feel better, but I genuinely think it has helped me.

Of course, when I told my dermatologist I was concerned about hair loss he said he didn't see any evidence of it occurring other than the normal amount of thinning on the sides that all men experience. He said that if it becomes a concern just come back in and get a prescription for one of the well known anti-hair loss drugs. I hope I don't have to do that because I'm wary of the side-effects. If you are experiencing really substantial thinning you should see a dermatologist about it. Also, I don't know about Hair Genesis, but at least with Procerin the makers say you can get even better results by pairing it with a prescription.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2010, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into Procerin because you sound genuinely happy about it. Any one else?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2010, 01:08 AM

I tried rogaine for a while- it's supposed to take 2 months to show results- but gave up after a few weeks because it turned my scalp into a scaly, dandruff laden mess.

I tried it again six months later or so hoping for a different outcome, but no luck. I've now given up trying.

By brother, on the other hand, is a users and claims it makes a difference for him, but I can't tell any difference.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 3, 2010, 03:51 AM

Just shave it. Baldness is a sign of testosterone. Tons of guys pull off the bald look just fine. I'd honestly be more concerned about pecks/abs/shoulders than hair loss.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I think clippers work best. Just take off the guards and run it around your head for a while.

Accept it. It is a natural part of life and being a man.
It's a natural part of life for some men (myself included). I bought clippers when I was about 25 and have had a shaved head ever since. I think it's the easiest solution. Just accept the fact and move on. You will soon learn to appreciate not having to worry about hair products and styling. I've also noticed that as I get older, my bald head seems to make me look younger

Caucasian men certainly seem to go bald the most though... Here in the DR, hardly anybody is bald. Guess they don't produce much DHT.

As far as a permanent solution I would argue the only practical route is hair transplantation. The topical solutions seem to give limited results and require you to use them for life.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2010, 09:31 PM

Hair Restoration will not be an iPad feature. Steve jobs refuses to use either Hair Restoration or Flash, and he sees no need for you to use them.

Sorry. Maybe post your dismay in some Engadget comment threads.

EDIT: Steve Jobs says no Engadget comments, so you will not be allowed to do that either.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2010, 11:13 AM

Stay away from propecia. A guy I used to work with took it for a while, and he said his wife still had to shave his back five years later. He said it turned him into a yeti.
Nemo me impune lacesset

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2010, 11:31 AM

hahahaha!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Stay away from propecia. A guy I used to work with took it for a while, and he said his wife still had to shave his back five years later. He said it turned him into a yeti.
That's not a normal side effect. The guy was probably going to grow back hair one way or another, it just coincided with the start of the drug (especially since it continued after going off the drug).

You SHOULD be careful of Propecia for other reasons (~2% of men have sexual disfunction, 2% basically grow moobs).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
It's a natural part of life for some men (myself included). I bought clippers when I was about 25 and have had a shaved head ever since. I think it's the easiest solution. Just accept the fact and move on. You will soon learn to appreciate not having to worry about hair products and styling. I've also noticed that as I get older, my bald head seems to make me look younger
It is easy enough to say "just shave it" but some guys look really bad with shaved heads and it makes them look 15 years older. Some guys it is ok though.

My friend lost a ton of hair (Picard style) in the 8 months I didn't see him. He had just started propecia that day and when I saw him again a year later 80% of it had grown back and years later at least stopped getting worse.

2% chance of sexual disfunction pretty much comes with every drug.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2010, 06:23 AM

trimming (not shaving) your head might look kinda cool with the right clothing. just grow short beard too.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

tomato71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2010, 07:15 AM

Tried Propecia for a bit. Certain things became softer than normal so I stopped.

Don't do anything for it now, still get laid plenty.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 08:38 PM

If you're that concerned, start saving for plugs now. The latest plugs are done individually so they look real (instead of the doll hair look from the late 80s). And they're just about to come out with cloned plugs in the near future. Figure about $6 per hair, with 2,000 - 4,000 hairs needed.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 08:50 AM

Sounds like a better deal to do whatever you can to keep what you have for as long as you can.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 11:07 PM

I use Rogaine. It works. Personally, I don't care if all my hair falls out, but it seems that it wasn't my choice to make.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules