Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > App Store Update Issue

App Store Update Issue
Ralph Tomaccio
Aug 4, 2015, 03:52 PM

Whenever I have a notification of a software update, I will go into the App Store to update it. The problem I'm having is that it will show that it has been updated under "Updates installed in the last 30 days" but they really aren't. When I click on the Update button, the progress bar appears for a very brief moment and then disappears.

If you view the two screenshots, you'll see that the software mentioned that needs updating is already showing as being updated. In addition to that issue, none of the software reflects the version numbers showing in the update when checked. IE., as an example, the OS Update Combined 10.10.4 in the app store, shows as shows as 10.10.1 in About this Mac on my computer. iTunes 12.12.1 in the App Store is 12.0.1.26 on my computer.

My questions:
1. Why does the App Store show the apps as having been updated when my computer says otherwise?

2. Why does the App Store keep showing me I need these updates when they also appear as being installed in the Update section of the App Store?

3. How do I correct this problem and get the updates it appears haven't been installed?

I have tried reinstalling the complete OS Yosemite 3 times with no luck so far.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 4, 2015, 04:26 PM

I think you've got some permissions wackiness. Its probably time to delve into disk repair in the Disk Utility.

Do you have a recent backup?

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Aug 4, 2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
I think you've got some permissions wackiness. Its probably time to delve into disk repair in the Disk Utility.

Do you have a recent backup?
Although I failed to mention it, I have tried numerous times to repair disk permissions and, again, after reading your reply. Unfortunately, It did nothing to solve the issues.

The other thing that happens is that when I click on each update individually, as opposed to updating all, the button you click will say that it's installed for a brief second and then go back to saying "install". I thought for certain reinstalling the OS would fix the issue, but it doesn't.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 4, 2015, 06:57 PM

Huh. Odd one. Let me see what I can find out. Maybe nothing.

hab
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2015, 05:57 PM

Re:
When I click on the Update button, the progress bar appears for a very brief moment and then disappears.

App Store update behaves like this for me sometimes as well. However when I look in the purchased "tab" the progress bar for that entry does display. Another separate issue I have seen on some of my family macs is that some installed apps were purchased under a different AppleID. Typically the App Store application should prompt you to log in under the relevant AppleID but you may not be getting the prompt for some reason.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

Forum Links
Forum Rules