Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Download the Presidential Debate: 2004.09.30

Download the Presidential Debate: 2004.09.30
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2004, 03:25 AM

Click here [84.9 MB] to download the 1st Presidential Debate from Thursday, September 30, 2004.

Click here [84.9 MB] for the split screen version where you get 90 minutes of full Bush vs. Kerry action!

I plan to do this with each debate. C-SPAN is nice enough to host them all for free so they will be my provider of choice. I'll have to remove these once the next set goes up, cause my iDisk only has so much room.

(Is this piracy? I don't want my .Mac account closed...)

[edit] added split screen and changed URL of traditional version
( Last edited by Xeo; Oct 1, 2004 at 02:32 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2004, 03:34 AM

Wow, video too. I was expecting just audio. Thanks.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2004, 07:14 AM

i would rather projectile vomit than watch that hillbilly GW speak again

hold on, i did. conisistently puked after every 2 minutes he opened his mouth. i'm no flip-flopper!

nath
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 07:47 AM

this file doesn't have any of the cutaways!!

must....see....bush....sulking.....

Does anyone know if a video including the cutaways is available? I've had a google but can't find a thing - keep getting results for the 2000 VP debate for some reason

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2004, 07:52 AM

Where did you get the copy from?

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Where did you get the copy from?
cspan.org

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by nath:
this file doesn't have any of the cutaways!!

must....see....bush....sulking.....

Does anyone know if a video including the cutaways is available? I've had a google but can't find a thing - keep getting results for the 2000 VP debate for some reason
The version c-span broadcast was just about always a split screen between Kerry and Bush.

Is the web cast version different? I'm still downloading at the moment.

Re: piracy - I doubt that C-Span will care. It's run as a public service, and they'll probably appreciate the drop in their bandwidth load. I think that the only reason they do streams instead of downloads is to keep bandwidth/connection manageable (if that's possible).

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
Is the web cast version different? I'm still downloading at the moment.
This is a version that is focused on one candidate at a time. Before the webcast started, some C-SPAN guy said that C-SPAN 2 and 3 would be showing it in the traditional way, one candidate at a time, where C-SPAN 1 would show it split screen the whole time. I preferred the split screen but there was only one link to get the stream from, and this was it. I'd be happy to download it again if the split screen version was available.

[edit] Ooo, found it. Gonna DL it now.

Re: piracy - I doubt that C-Span will care. It's run as a public service, and they'll probably appreciate the drop in their bandwidth load. I think that the only reason they do streams instead of downloads is to keep bandwidth/connection manageable (if that's possible).
My thinking as well.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
This is a version that is focused on one candidate at a time. Before the webcast started, some C-SPAN guy said that C-SPAN 2 and 3 would be showing it in the traditional way, one candidate at a time, where C-SPAN 1 would show it split screen the whole time. I preferred the split screen but there was only one link to get the stream from, and this was it. I'd be happy to download it again if the split screen version was available.

[edit] Ooo, found it. Gonna DL it now.

My thinking as well.
Great! I'll wait for that one.

That is, assuming you plan on making it available (pretty please with sugar on top! )

BG
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

nath
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 12:39 PM

That is, assuming you plan on making it available (pretty please with sugar on top! )

BG

i'll mirror it as well on my *spiffy new expanded idisk space* if needs be!

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2004, 01:53 PM

BG
Absolutely. It's going up to my iDisk as I type this.

And nath, feel free to mirror. I'm only doing it 'cause I have all this spiffy new iDisk space as well.

I could host it on the server in my room and then risk admins getting upset at me or you guys dealing with slow speeds or whatever else comes of it... but since my iDisk as room now, there's no prob.

Expect a link in a few min.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2004, 02:28 PM

OK, linked in first post. It took me a few minutes to realize that the iDisk does not allow filenames over 31 characters. They show up as file not found until you change it to less than 31. I wish they'd use a better error message rather than just having it not be found...

So I changed the name of the first one to follow the convention I chose for the 2nd one. Hope that doesn't cause any problems for anyone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules