Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Minnesota RSS Feed?

Minnesota RSS Feed?
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2004, 01:51 AM

OK, so since reading the other RSS thread, I started using NetFire. Really convenient way for me to skim headlines without loading every web site individually. I'm finding myself reading websites I never took the time to do before.

So, with that said, does anyone know of an RSS feed for Minnesota news? I'd like some local action but can't seem to find any RSS links on either the Star Tribune's or the Pioneer Press's websites. Are they available, and if not, is there another place to gather MN news headlines?

If not, I might just have to create a PHP script which parses one or the other's MN section into an XML feed for my own use. I'd like to learn how to build an RSS page anyway (although it looks incredibly simple XML). Ah hell, I'm just gonna start doing that now.

(I didn't post this in the other thread because this is a specific request and I didn't want to limit the responses to only the few that are still following the other, now aging, thread. Sorry.)

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2004, 02:13 AM

If you find out a good answer/solution, don't keep it to yourself; I'm interested too.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2004, 04:16 AM

Try these:

MPR: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/tools/rss/mprnews.php

Minnesota Daily (U of M student paper): http://www.mndaily.com/RSS/headlines.xml

Don't think either the Strib or PiPress offers an RSS feed.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2004, 04:59 AM

Customize your location at topix.net and it should provide an XML feed, which works in Newsfire.
(Look for the xml tag in the left column.)
edit: or here is the xml feed for all of MN
http://rss.topix.net/rss/state/mn.xml

Topix.net is pretty nifty.
( Last edited by AKcrab; Oct 8, 2004 at 05:14 AM. )

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2004, 11:13 AM

Just in case anyone might still be interested, last night before you guys posted these links, I created a PHP script to parse up the Star Tribune regional page. After letting it run through last night, it caught the first updates from this morning so it seems to be working properly.

StarTribune RSS Feed

If you use it, post back and let me know what you think. Should the layout of the ST Metro page change much, my script will break and will need fixing. So far it's been fine though.

Thanks for those links you guys provided.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2004, 11:16 AM

Sweet stuff, Xeo. Thanks a lot!

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2004, 06:50 PM

Well, I spent the last hour or so fixing up my XML and PHP. Man I can create some ugly and unnecessary code when I'm tired. Anyway, the link is still the same. It validates as RSS2.0 now, which is good. And it should have less of a chance of breaking, I hope. If it does break, I have it set up to let me know so I can fix it.

I hope this is useful to someone other than me (and wataru). I think the Star Tribune is a pretty decent source of MN news.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2004, 01:13 AM

Yeah, Strib is good, but I just can't be bothered to go to the website. Now I don't have to! Yay!

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2004, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Yeah, Strib is good, but I just can't be bothered to go to the website. Now I don't have to! Yay!
My thinking exactly. It's working pretty well too. Go me.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2004, 12:57 PM

According to my Apache logs, 1 other person besides me and wataru use the feed. Come on you, speak up!

Forum Links
Forum Rules