Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How cold is Calgary?

How cold is Calgary?
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2005, 02:56 AM

So I have this idea in my head that Calgary is pretty cold. How cold is it? Is it colder than, say, Minneapolis? Also, what's the cost of living there? What's the city like?

I might be relocating there for work so I'm hoping to get a feel for it first.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 03:39 AM

Everyone lives in iglues just like all americans live in beachfront homes and it's hot every day of the year.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 03:44 AM

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Xeo
So I have this idea in my head that Calgary is pretty cold. How cold is it? Is it colder than, say, Minneapolis? Also, what's the cost of living there? What's the city like?

I might be relocating there for work so I'm hoping to get a feel for it first.
Hello n00b ! Are you kiddin us with this question ?

Evar heard of teh intarweb ? Guuugle ?
Search query "Calgary weather statistics"

-t

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 10:18 AM

Calgary gets very cold in winter, very hot in summer and everything in between in spring and fall. As far as multi-culturalism, culture and fun is concerned it cannot yet compete with Montreal, Vancouver or Toronto but it's getting there. It's certainly cheaper to live there than in the three main Canadian cities.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 10:41 AM

Actually, to say that Calgary gets very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer is not fair. Calgary can get very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer. However, for the most part, Calgary's temperatures are usually quite mild in both seasons.

Calgary's temperature can vary greatly because of it's proximity to the mountains. It's average winter temperature is about -10C, but it can drop below -20C and is often above 0C. For example, this winter, before January there were only a few days where the temperature was below 0C and there was very little snow. But, for the first 10 days of January the temperature dropped to about -25C, rose to about -10C for the remainder of the month and then climbed to +15C for the first weeks of February. Winter rarely "settles in" hear and it's rare for snow to stay on the ground for more than two weeks before it's melted away by a chinook. What's more, because the air is so dry here, -10C actually feels like -10C, as oppose to more humid places like Toronto or Detroit where -10C feels more like -15C or -20C. Temperature fluctuations like that are the norm for Calgary; there's a saying here: "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes; it might be worse, but at least it'll be different".

Likewise for summer; temperature is usually around +20C but can be up around +30C for about 10 days of the summer. Very few people have air conditioning in their houses. And again, there's the lack of humidity which always makes things more comfortable.

If Minneapolis is anything like Winnipeg you'll find Calgary to have much milder winters (with more reprieves from the cold) and less buggy (ie: mosquitoes) in the summer.

Let me know if you end up coming here

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2005, 10:42 AM

I love my city.
Right now it is raining a lot and we have issues with flooding and water restrictions because our water system cant keep up with the mess that it our water supply.

But this time of year and during the Stampede we will be at about 70-85 for you Fahrenheit people.

Come one, come all.

EDIT: I didnt see the work relocation part of your post...must be the excitment to see Calgary in the general forums.

See above post....lol
Who reads this???

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Hello n00b ! Are you kiddin us with this question ?

Evar heard of teh intarweb ? Guuugle ?
Search query "Calgary weather statistics"

-t
I have been doing that, but there's only so much guessing one can do with raw numbers. I wanted the subjective thoughts on the issue from folks who've been there as some have provided.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Xeo
I have been doing that, but there's only so much guessing one can do with raw numbers. I wanted the subjective thoughts on the issue from folks who've been there as some have provided.
Nevermind that raw numbers can be very misleading in the case of Calgary

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Actually, to say that Calgary gets very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer is not fair. Calgary can get very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer. However, for the most part, Calgary's temperatures are usually quite mild in both seasons.

Calgary's temperature can vary greatly because of it's proximity to the mountains. It's average winter temperature is about -10C, but it can drop below -20C and is often above 0C. For example, this winter, before January there were only a few days where the temperature was below 0C and there was very little snow. But, for the first 10 days of January the temperature dropped to about -25C, rose to about -10C for the remainder of the month and then climbed to +15C for the first weeks of February. Winter rarely "settles in" hear and it's rare for snow to stay on the ground for more than two weeks before it's melted away by a chinook. What's more, because the air is so dry here, -10C actually feels like -10C, as oppose to more humid places like Toronto or Detroit where -10C feels more like -15C or -20C. Temperature fluctuations like that are the norm for Calgary; there's a saying here: "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes; it might be worse, but at least it'll be different".

Likewise for summer; temperature is usually around +20C but can be up around +30C for about 10 days of the summer. Very few people have air conditioning in their houses. And again, there's the lack of humidity which always makes things more comfortable.

If Minneapolis is anything like Winnipeg you'll find Calgary to have much milder winters (with more reprieves from the cold) and less buggy (ie: mosquitoes) in the summer.

Thanks for that reply. That actually makes it sound a lot similar to Minnesota if not milder. My mom just said our weather is similar to Winnipeg. I just saw average stats that said you guys have some snow 9 months of the year which scared me a bit. The temp did look fairly mild, though. I look up Minnesota and our average temp. is colder than yours.

So I guess my weather concerns are gone. I just saw it being so north-of-the-border that it surely would be freezing cold. I forgot about the Rockies and I think I'll take up skiing if I do go out there.

Thanks for the help.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Write
americans live in beachfront homes and it's hot every day of the year.
I thought they all lived in trailer parks and married their cousins?

At any rate I head calgary was pretty damn warm this winter.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 11:48 AM

I lived there for 6 months. It does get very cold (-32 C at one point), but they have these things called chinooks that bring warm air from over the mountains. It can change the temp 10-20 degrees over a few hours. That helps break the cold weather up more. Here are some pictures from New Years while I was there. Beautiful city with a great downtown. I would have moved there myself if I wasn't going to open a business here in Houston.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Write
Everyone lives in iglues
iGlue—the new Apple Stationery

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I thought they all lived in trailer parks and married their cousins?.
Better or worse than being gay ?

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Xeo
So I guess my weather concerns are gone. I just saw it being so north-of-the-border that it surely would be freezing cold.

Thanks for the help.
If you go only 3 hours north to Edmonton, the winters are much colder and the snow sticks around much longer. Calgary benefits from it's close proximity to the mountains which funnel the warm Pacific air (minus all it's moisture which is dumped on Vancouver and Seattle) straight down into Calgary. This warm, and now dry, air practically eats up any snow on the ground. Literally translated, 'chinook' means "Snow Eater". In the winter Calgary usually gets a chinook once a week, with the strong ones (pushing temps up to +10C and higher) occuring about once a month (conversly, in the summer chinooks bring in cooler weather). Without the mountains, Calgary would be quite cold.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 11:59 AM

Better or worse than being gay ?

-t

You need some new material or a new internet boyfriend dude.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 12:03 PM

You need some new material or a new internet boyfriend dude.
Any recommendations ?

Where can I hook up with teh hawt Canadians ?

-t

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 12:08 PM

Any recommendations ?

Where can I hook up with teh hawt Canadians ?

-t

Come down for pride weekend (this weekend)

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 12:16 PM

Shrinkage

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 12:42 PM

Nevermind that raw numbers can be very misleading in the case of Calgary

Yeah, you'd better rely on some subjectively felt numbers...

-t

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 01:14 PM

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 06:56 PM

It's no where near as bad as Winnipeg. I've genuinely thought of moving to Calgary. They get cold snaps but then they'll get a shanook (sp?). Where warm mountain air comes in and BOOM it's hot in the middle of winter! It's weird. My second room mate kept asking when it was going to get warmer in January... I was like... well it won't... it'll stay this cold for the next two months or so... he couldn't believe we didn't get big breaks of warm weather.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 24, 2005, 07:16 PM

Enjoy Canada.
( Last edited by budster101; Jun 24, 2005 at 10:46 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 24, 2005, 07:36 PM

I've never been a big fan of Calgary, but it has its plusses, including being close to Banff, and low taxes.

Yeah, it's cold in the winter, but so is Minneapolis (although maybe not quite as cold).

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 08:08 PM

Also there is no PST which is great (think 7 percent sales tax verses 14 or 15!)

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 08:11 PM

Winnipeg is like Mosquito Capital...

But to tell you the truth, unless you move in the Canadian Arctic, you know nothing about them bugs...

The prairie area is great. I lived in Fort St-John (north of Calgary, on the East side of the Rockies) and since the weather is usually dry, the heat or the cold will not affect you that much. Just watch for your skin turning white is all you need to bother for.

Welcome in Canada by the way. The people of the Western provinces are pretty cool!
( Last edited by SimpleLife; Jun 24, 2005 at 08:28 PM. )

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2005, 08:31 PM

From what you're all telling me, it sounds like Calgary is actually nicer than Minnesota. MN is f-ing cold in the Winter (most Winters) and f-ing hot in the summer due to the humidity. And we have plenty of mosquitoes here too. I hate the 'lil bastards. With MN being so cold, I thought for sure Calgary would be even worse and that's what scared me. But since it's not worse and possibly even better, then it doesn't scare me so much.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to read what yall have to say. I have to drive up to the border (fun 5 hour drive that'll be without air conditioning) to apply for a visa. Probably have to do that next week. Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep reading if you have more to say.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Xeo
From what you're all telling me, it sounds like Calgary is actually nicer than Minnesota. MN is f-ing cold in the Winter (most Winters) and f-ing hot in the summer due to the humidity. And we have plenty of mosquitoes here too. I hate the 'lil bastards. With MN being so cold, I thought for sure Calgary would be even worse and that's what scared me. But since it's not worse and possibly even better, then it doesn't scare me so much.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to read what yall have to say. I have to drive up to the border (fun 5 hour drive that'll be without air conditioning) to apply for a visa. Probably have to do that next week. Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep reading if you have more to say.
Best wishes of success and welcome in Canada again!

budster101
Baninated
Jun 24, 2005, 08:40 PM

Good luck!
( Last edited by budster101; Jun 24, 2005 at 10:47 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Is everyone gay in Canada? or just rude?

The guy asks a question and first thing, the rude gay people -come out- of the woodwork to bash this guy. You would think they'd be sensitive to this guys needs instead of forgetting what gay bashing used to be and be polite. I'm sorry, but it's really irritating to see the same people in these forums go after people and say immature idiotic things without consequences!
I missed all that. Where did anyone insult him let alone a gay Canadian.

You sensitive widda baby.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

budster101
Baninated
Jun 24, 2005, 09:01 PM

pfft.
( Last edited by budster101; Jun 24, 2005 at 10:47 PM. )

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Is everyone happy in Canada? or just prude?

Both.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 09:15 PM

You're not moving because Apple's moving to Intel are you? Oh wait, wrong moderator.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
You're not moving because Apple's moving to Intel are you? Oh wait, wrong moderator.
No, that's right, I can't stand to live in the same country as Apple! Damn them!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 10:39 PM

You know... I didn't even realize you were from Minnesota. Calgary's weather is a lot nicer.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2005, 11:54 AM

I grew up there, and loved the complete lack of humidity in the summer. Every time I came to Toronto to visit relatives I just about died. Still can't stand it even after having lived here for 12 years. Just ignore Ralph and you'll be fine

And there's nothing like a prairie summer thunderstorm, but you might get that kind of weather in MN, I don't know.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2005, 11:59 AM

Yeah, the dryness of Alberta is definitely a big plus in the summer. Toronto's humidity really does suck. The humidity bothers me a lot more than the heat. (I grew up in Saskatchewan, which is even drier than Calgary.)

matrix_x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2005, 12:00 PM

alot colder then Atlantic Canada I'll tell you that!!!
It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool... then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2005, 12:58 PM

I found what looks to be a good website about Calgary. Check it out.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2005, 01:12 PM

One thing about Calgary is that practically everyone is from somewhere else, so they tend to be pretty friendly since they most likely came to the city a few years earlier.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2005, 08:38 PM

Is it gonna be like this ?

(Christopher Street Day 2005 in Paris)

Nah, I'll pass, Thanks.

-t

budster101
Baninated
Jun 25, 2005, 08:48 PM

Just ate. Last time I visit this thread.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2005, 08:55 PM

The best is when the American tourists from Buffalo or whatever show up in Toronto on Pride Sunday just by chance. Freaks them right out. Interestingly the Japanese tourists seem to enjoy it. Several times I've seen stereotypical middle-aged Japanese tourists asking the guys in leather if they can take a picture with them.

By the way, some of the floats in the parade have absotively gorgeous women on them. One can only hope they're straight, and in the festival just for the hell of it...

I don't think it would go over too well in Calgary though.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
The best is when the American tourists from Buffalo or whatever show up in Toronto on Pride Sunday just by chance. Freaks them right out. Interestingly the Japanese tourists seem to enjoy it. Several times I've seen stereotypical middle-aged Japanese tourists asking the guys in leather if they can take a picture with them.

By the way, some of the floats in the parade have absotively gorgeous women on them. One can only hope they're straight, and in the festival just for the hell of it...

I don't think it would go over too well in Calgary though.
These woman are bisexual (in my dreams, afterwards), so I guess it's OK. (Would turn the temperature up for sure, especially if these floads were to go in Calgary with "WE LOVE YOU" written all over them).

What no one is saying is that often the women on the sidewalk will remove their top furing the parade...

Are we still on topic?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 09:06 PM

Currently 57(lucia grande does not have a degree symbol)F.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001
Currently 57(lucia grande does not have a degree symbol)F.
And for the first half of this week the high was around 80F

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
What no one is saying is that often the women on the sidewalk will remove their top furing the parade...
Except the ones on the floats are usually gorgeous. The ones on the sidewalk are usually seriously fugly.

BTW, it's legal in Toronto. It's illegal for women to be topless in Calgary however, IIRC.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 02:38 AM

Is it gonna be like this ?
(Christopher Street Day 2005 in Paris)

Nah, I'll pass, Thanks.

-t
yes, 100% of them all look like that.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2005, 04:54 AM

BTW, it's legal in Toronto. It's illegal for women to be topless in Calgary however, IIRC.
That's ridiculous.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 08:10 AM

Except the ones on the floats are usually gorgeous. The ones on the sidewalk are usually seriously fugly.

Obviously, we were not hanging at the same place. Sorry!

Forum Links
Forum Rules