Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The world according to Cindy Sheehan

The world according to Cindy Sheehan
spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 04:22 PM

Some interesting quotes... I don't know many men who could take yammering like this from their girlfriends or wives.
"Then we have this lying bastard, George Bush, taking a five week vacation in a time of war. You know what? I'm never going to get to enjoy another vacation because of him. My vacation probably -- this is really sad because I have a really cute dress I was going to wear to the banquet tomorrow night -- but I'm either going to be in jail or in a tent in Crawford, waiting until that jerk comes out and tells me why my son died."

"You tell me the truth. You tell me that my son died for oil. You tell me that my son died to make your friends rich. You tell me my son died to spread the cancer of Pax Americana, imperialism in the Middle East."

"You get that evil maniac out here, 'cause a Gold Star Mother, somebody whose blood is on his hands, has some questions for him."

"The biggest terrorist is George W. Bush."

"If he thinks that it's so important for Iraq to have a U.S.-imposed sense of freedom and democracy, then he needs to sign up his two little party-animal girls. They need to go to this war."

"It's up to us, the people, to break immoral laws and resist. As soon as the leaders of a country lie to you, they have no authority over you. These maniacs have no authority over us. And they might be able to put our bodies in prison, but they can't put our spirits in prison."

"Am I emotional? Yes, my first born was murdered. Am I angry? Yes, he was killed for lies and for a PNAC [Project for the New American Century] Neo-Con agenda to benefit Israel. My son joined the Army to protect America, not Israel. Am I stupid? No, I know full well that my son, my family, this nation, and this world were betrayed by George [W.] Bush who was influenced by the neo-con PNAC agenda after 9/11."

"We are waging a nuclear war in Iraq right now. That country is contaminated. It will be contaminated for practically eternity now."

"I was raised in a country by a public school system that taught us that America was good, that America was just. America has been killing people... since we first stepped on this continent; we have been responsible for death and destruction. I passed on that bulls**t to my son, and my son enlisted. I'm going all over the country telling moms this country is not worth dying for."

"Our country has been overtaken by murderous thugs... gangsters who lust after fortunes and power, never caring that their addictions are at the expense of our loved ones, and the blood of innocent people near and far. We've watched these thugs parade themselves before the whole world as if they are courageous advocates for Christian moral values... and for the spread of democracy. Yet we all know that they are now putting in place, all across this country, a system of voting that provides no way to validate the accuracy of the counting of the votes... and that, by its very design, prohibits recounting the votes. Our loved ones have been buried in early graves even as these arrogant thugs parade themselves before the entire world, insisting that democracy is worth dying for, killing for, and destroying entire cities for... In their secret hiding places, while celebrating newly won fortunes with their fellow brass, these men must surely congratulate themselves with orgies of carnal pleasure as they mock the dwindling multitudes who are yet so blind as to mistake them for God's devoted servants."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 04:33 PM

Cindy Sheehan, that loser, I hope she learns her lesson from all of this, and never disagree with the president again!

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 04:37 PM

I don't see what's so wrong there except perhaps the nuclear war comment. Are you (spacefreak) denying that Pax Americana has influenced Bush?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
I don't know many men who could take yammering like this from their girlfriends or wives.
And speaking of machismo, that's one ballsy chick. Go Cindy.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 04:46 PM

She is allowed (and should be allowed) to disagree with the president, you are allowed to ignore her if it makes your blood boil this much. She is not a bitch because you disagree with her.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 04:55 PM

Some interesting quotes... I don't know many men who could take yammering like this from their girlfriends or wives.
So what do you suggest, beside posting this and run?
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 05:06 PM

There are an awful lot of baseless accusations being made here. If she's so convinced, where is her proof?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 05:18 PM

We are waging a nuclear war in Iraq right now. That country is contaminated. It will be contaminated for practically eternity now.
Off. Her. Rocker.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Off. Her. Rocker.
You do realize that she is speaking in metaphor?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
There are an awful lot of baseless accusations being made here. If she's so convinced, where is her proof?
She's a political activist. Do you expect the media to sit down with her and go over what she knows (or thinks she knows)? They're looking for sound bytes.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 05:28 PM

Poor woman. she definitely needs professional help. I'll make sure and pray for her.

*snicker* Ok, I couldn't say that with a straight face.

As for Pax Americana, yeah, I'm for it. Not much different than trolling the White Fleet around the world, intimidating others and looking for a conflict.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
That's some awfully loaded language she's using, if her intent is to speak in metaphor. When you're talking about war, you don't just throw the word 'nuclear' around without being serious about it. As someone who likely grew up with the threat of The Bomb being used, you'd think she would know that.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 05:29 PM

No, she wasn't.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 05:30 PM

The fuller quote:
What they’re saying, too, is like, it’s okay for Israel to have nuclear weapons. But Iran or Syria better not get nuclear weapons. It’s okay for the United States to have nuclear weapons. It’s okay for the countries that we say it’s okay for. We are waging a nuclear war in Iraq right now. That country is contaminated. It will be contaminated for practically eternity now. It’s okay for them to have them, but Iran or Syria can’t have them.
What is that a metaphor for? Assuming she doesn't actually believe it to be true, I can't find any meaning except just dumbass shock value.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Aug 29, 2005 at 05:40 PM. )
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 05:59 PM

I read the metaphor part to be the contamination bit. As in, you drop a nuke, it contaminates the region including neighbors, and has a lasting impact for multiple generations.

I'm honestly not trying to be a Sheehan apologist, this is just how I read it. I'll admit whole-heartedly that it wasn't a terribly smart thing to say, in any context. Mostly because it just reeks of nuclear-related conspiracy theory. Granted, much of what she says is rather conspiracy-theoryish, but nuclear stuff seems like a sensitive button you don't push unless you really really mean it.

To me, the word "Nazi" has been overused too. I'd argue you that there are at least a couple of terms and understandings that are being abused to convey a political message.

I can't remember the last time I heard "Nazi"... it might have been Terry Schiavo or something...

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 06:04 PM

The fuller quote:

What is that a metaphor for? Assuming she doesn't actually believe it to be true, I can't find any meaning except just dumbass shock value.
Like I said that bit was a bit over the top but could she be talking about:

1) The climate the war has caused as the "contamination"?
2) The depleted Uranium shells spread all over Iraq now?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 06:08 PM

The fuller quote:

Well, given her apparent misunderstanding of nuclear-weapons politics, I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't believe it to be true.

Why is it OK for some nations to have nuclear weapons? It isn't, but they have them, and the process of disarming them is extremely slow and delicate. The only safe way to disarm the current nuclear nations is to make sure they all do it at the same time, and that they do it in such a way that even if one nation renegs on the deal it doesn't suddenly have overwhelming military superiority.

In the meantime, it is best to not let anyone else get them, because every time a new nation does, it sets back the process of disarmament. Sometimes a nation slips through the cracks. For example, Israel supposedly got them (not that it admits to this), and that one can't even be blamed on the US. This is Not A Good Thing, but the cat is out of the bag.

For all that the modern Left criticizes the modern Right of seeing things in black and white, sometimes I wonder if the Left isn't just as bad about it on a different set of topics.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
Like I said that bit was a bit over the top but could she be talking about:

1) The climate the war has caused as the "contamination"?
She could be, but it makes even less sense in context than the literal interpretation — and that's saying something.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 06:09 PM

guys: at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what she meant.

You are going to go on thinking what you think, and Sheehan and supporters will go on thinking what they think. This changes nothing.

Why are you guys agonzing over this person? Why are your knickers in a bunch?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 06:13 PM

She was the one camped outside a guy's house. I'm talking about her on an Internet forum while I wait for stuff to finish printing. Who's got their knickers in a bunch here?

And more importantly, do you actually believe anything in this forum is any different? I come here for kicks, not to change Cindy Sheehan's mind.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 06:38 PM

She was the one camped outside a guy's house. I'm talking about her on an Internet forum while I wait for stuff to finish printing. Who's got their knickers in a bunch here?

And more importantly, do you actually believe anything in this forum is any different? I come here for kicks, not to change Cindy Sheehan's mind.

I'm sorry for targeting you specifically with my response, but I've sensed a lot of intensity and vehement Sheehan character bashing here.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 06:58 PM

She can kiss my ase. Speaking in metaphor, of course.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
She can kiss my ase. Speaking in metaphor, of course.
Don't you mean "arse"?

Atomic Rooster
Aug 29, 2005, 07:02 PM

May Cindy Sheehan burn in everlasting HELL! My ex girlfriend that is. Not the one in Texas. They just have the same name and I needed to get that off my chest.

I'm over her now by the way. But your love affair my spaced out freak seems to go on. Get over her already. She's just a woman who lost her son. What possible harm can she do.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 07:15 PM

Don't you mean "arse"?
I'm usually, (not ALWAYS, but USUALLY) able to get the small words right.

I meant ASS.

I intentionally chose "ase."

Thanks, now if you could just correct Ms. Shizeeeezizit han.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 07:17 PM

I'm usually, (not ALWAYS, but USUALLY) able to get the small words right.

I meant ASS.

I intentionally chose "ase."

Thanks, now if you could just correct Ms. Shizeeeezizit han.

Relax dude... she's just a single person, not even a politician. It really doesn't matter.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster
May Cindy Sheehan burn in everlasting HELL! My ex girlfriend that is. Not the one in Texas. They just have the same name and I needed to get that off my chest.

I'm over her now by the way. But your love affair my spaced out freak seems to go on. Get over her already. She's just a woman who lost her son. What possible harm can she do.
The harm might be seen in the same power any icon might have in inspiring a popular but false or dangerous notion.

OBL is an example of the harm an icon can inspire. Sheehan can become another.

Too bad that both icons serve to oppose and undermine the interests of the United States.

Trust me, the future of the free world and the future of the USA depends on our having continued unfettered access to Mideast Oil.

To leave sooner would bring about economic ruin.

I've posted enough supporting evidence to convince anyone who'll take the time. If you don't like my sources there's a thing called, GOOGLE.

Anyone who persists in remaining ignorant will pay a price for their ignorance from now on.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 07:29 PM

The harm might be seen in the same power any icon might have in inspiring a popular but false or dangerous notion.

OBL is an example of the harm an icon can inspire. Sheehan can become another.

Too bad that both icons serve to oppose and undermine the interests of the United States.

Trust me, the future of the free world and the future of the USA depends on our having continued unfettered access to Mideast Oil.

I've posted enough supporting evidence to convince anyone who'll take the time. If you don't like my sources there's a thing called, GOOGLE.

Anyone who persists in remaining ignorant will pay a price for their ignorance from now on.

Sheehan becoming the next OBL? Isn't it too early to be saying this? You do have a flair for the dramatic...

I don't understand why you continue to repeat your same talking points, yet you don't wish to acknowledge my responses. Since this seems to be the case, I don't see the point in us continuing to talk past each other.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 07:30 PM

Relax dude... she's just a single person, not even a politician. It really doesn't matter.
Do you really want everyone to be as ignorant as you???

What you are saying in effect, is, "Yes, there's important information out there and I'm still making up my own mind at my leisure because I haven't had enough motivation/self control/will power to spend a few minutes away from MacNN to read the info and come to a firm conclusion. Therefore, I will encourage others that it's also ok for THEM to not get educated."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 07:30 PM

Oooh, threatened.
Chuck
___

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 07:31 PM

Why are you guys agonzing over this person? Why are your knickers in a bunch?
I'm not agonizing. I just get ticked off that she gets so much damn media coverage for such baseless crap.

By comparison, how much press coverage have the thousands of military parents on the "You don't speak for me, Cindy" caravan gotten?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 07:34 PM

Sheehan becoming the next OBL? Isn't it too early to be saying this? You do have a flair for the dramatic...

I don't understand why you continue to repeat your same talking points, yet you don't wish to acknowledge my responses. Since this seems to be the case, I don't see the point in us continuing to talk past each other.
You may be a nice person but you are ignorant as far as this subject is concerned. You persist in remaining ignorant. And, by arguing that Sheehan is NOT a danger, you encourage and support the growth of a cancer.

There. Get educated and THEN we can talk. Until then you are just like a little kid who knows how to make the sounds but has nothing of substance to say.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 07:36 PM

Oooh, threatened.
Nothing serious though. I wish NO ONE here any physical harm. I just get tired of people arguing for things they haven't bothered to learn about insisting their voice should be given as much credence as an opposing voice which knows a damn bit more about the subject.

And then, blaming me for giving her/him too much information as the reason he-she remains ignorant.

Time to crap or get off the pot.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 07:36 PM

Do you really want everyone to be as ignorant as you???

What you are saying in effect, is, "Yes, there's important information out there and I'm still making up my own mind at my leisure because I haven't had enough motivation/self control/will power to spend a few minutes away from MacNN to read the info and come to a firm conclusion. Therefore, I will encourage others that it's also ok for THEM to not get educated."

Call me ignorant if you want, I just don't believe that we can reach a firm conclusion other than the one we already have as far as Sheehan goes.

If you want to agonize over Sheehan and think of her as an icon representing the end of the free world, go right ahead. I can't change that. I just wish you guys wouldn't try to inflame people who think differently than you, and put all of your energy into proving just how much of a bitch she is.

If you want to have the discussion about oil, I'd be happy to. It's a give and take process though, you can't just talk to hear yourself talk and ignore the responses.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 07:39 PM

You may be a nice person but you are ignorant as far as this subject is concerned. You persist in remaining ignorant. And, by arguing that Sheehan is NOT a danger, you encourage and support the growth of a cancer.
You seriously think that an annoying peacenik mouthpiece presents a major threat? By persisting in spreading this nonsense, you devalue all the actual threats out there. "Hey, if they're no worse than this whacked-out hippie mom, I ain't gonna worry."
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 07:40 PM

I'm not agonizing. I just get ticked off that she gets so much damn media coverage for such baseless crap.

By comparison, how much press coverage have the thousands of military parents on the "You don't speak for me, Cindy" caravan gotten?
How much press has anything like this ever gotten? This is soft news in comparison.

If you want to complain about the press as a whole being too left, this is an entirely different argument.

Do wish media equality, or do you want the Right to dominate the Whitehouse *and* the press?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 07:43 PM

Call me ignorant if you want, I just don't believe that we can reach a firm conclusion other than the one we already have as far as Sheehan goes.

If you want to agonize over Sheehan and think of her as an icon representing the end of the free world, go right ahead. I can't change that. I just wish you guys wouldn't try to inflame people who think differently than you, and put all of your energy into proving just how much of a bitch she is.

If you want to have the discussion about oil, I'd be happy to. It's a give and take process though, you can't just talk to hear yourself talk and ignore the responses.
YOUR RESPONSE IS ALL EMOTION BASED AND DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THE US GAVE IN TO HER DEMANDS.

And you won't bother to read the information and think about what it means.

And I'm REALLY trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are CAPABLE of critical thinking.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 07:46 PM

You seriously think that an annoying peacenik mouthpiece presents a major threat? By persisting in spreading this nonsense, you devalue all the actual threats out there. "Hey, if they're no worse than this whacked-out hippie mom, I ain't gonna worry."
The power of symbols. You doubt the power of symbols???

Exactly how many times do OBL's suicide bombers have to kill American troops for you to get this war thing?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 07:48 PM

YOUR RESPONSE IS ALL EMOTION BASED AND DOES NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THE US GAVE IN TO HER DEMANDS.

And you won't bother to read the information and think about what it means.

And I'm REALLY trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are CAPABLE of critical thinking.

No, your response is the emotional one. Please find where I've personally defended her demands that we evacuate Iraq? You read into my posts what you choose to, and post a response as if I was countering what you are saying. Basically, you think I'm not hearing what you are saying, so you proceed to say it LOUDER and LOUDER and LOUDER still.

I'm not interested in having a conversation like this, sorry.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 07:49 PM

Exactly how many times do OBL's suicide bombers have to kill American troops for you to get this war thing?

Are you referring to the Iraqi insurgents?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 07:52 PM

Call me when somebody does the same thing on Cindy Sheehan's orders (or when Sheehan even comes up with a plot for someone to do so). I'm not going to hold my breath. Until then, this is entirely in your imagination.

Anybody could be a "symbol" in this sense. You may as well attack birthing centers because people often call for action "for the sake of our children." The fact is, neither Sheehan nor babies have demonstrated any capability or inclination to pose an actual threat.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 08:25 PM

Mojo,

For your convenience, here is my response to your oil theory in a nutshell:

It is plausible, likely even, but I'm not convinced that it is entirely wise, morally right, or without serious consequences that dwarf the serious consequences of not securing the oil fields for our own interests.

I provided a list of reasons why I think this, but this is the general summary.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 08:46 PM

August is a slow news month anyway, so when things pick up after Labor Day, she'll be forgotten.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
I don't see what's so wrong there except perhaps the nuclear war comment.
She was probably talking about depleted uranium ammunition.

James L
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 09:24 PM

Sooo... aren't you then just agreeing with her comments above that her son was murdered for oil?

lol... yes, that ever so correct source... google.

mojo2, dude, do you really think you are the pied piper, nobly riding out here in internet landing spreading the truth to people?

You are one person, on the internet, in a geek forum, dedicated to computer users, spreading YOUR opinion, which you have backed up with numerous internet and non impartial news sources.

Yet, if people don't agree with you, they shall remain ignorant.

Sorry to break it to you, but you just aren't that important. You have an OPINION... that's it. Just like everyone else does.

And just who is going to decide who is ignorant and who isn't? You?.... hardly likely.

Also, who is going to make these people "pay the price" for their ignorance?

You? Hardly likely.

Time to crap or get off the pot.
Can we lump this in with "you are either with us, or against us" and other such silly statements?

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 09:46 PM

Turns out there's been someone else behind the Sheehan protest. Turns out she is just a tool after all.
There's a notice on Cindy Sheehan's website, meetwithcindy.org, asks for donors who might be able to offer a camper, or an RV, or just money, for Sheehan's upcoming cross-country tour, scheduled to begin Wednesday in Crawford, Texas, and end in Washington at the big antiwar demonstration scheduled for September 24. At the end of the note, readers with something to offer are asked to "please call organizer Lisa Fithian."

To anyone familiar with the world of professional protesting — protests against globalism, capitalism, war, police tactics, and dozens of other causes — the presence of Fithian is a sign of how far Cindy Sheehan has strayed from the roots of her "one mom" crusade against George W. Bush. Or, perhaps more accurately, it is a sign that the "one mom" crusade was never just one mom. Fithian is a legendary organizer who operates in the world of anti-globalism anarchists, antiwar protesters, and union activists; an advocate of aggressive "direct action" demonstrations, she protested the first Gulf war, played an important role in the violent shutdown of Seattle during the 1999 World Trade Organization meeting, was a key planner in protests at the Republican and Democratic national conventions in 2000 and 2004, and organized demonstrations at trade meetings in Washington, D.C., Prague, and Genoa.

Although she has received virtually no attention from reporters covering Sheehan, Fithian has been part of the Crawford protest from the very beginning. In a telephone interview with National Review Online on Sunday, she explained that she was with Sheehan in Dallas at a meeting of the antiwar group Veterans for Peace during the first days of August when the decision was made for Sheehan to go to the president's ranch. On August 6, when Sheehan went to Crawford — in a bus with the words "Impeachment Tour" emblazoned on the side — Fithian went along. "I came the first day and helped her [Sheehan] set up the initial encampment," Fithian said. With the exception of one brief absence, she has been there ever since.

Switching back and forth between talking to NRO and giving out orders — "When's your meeting? 5:15? Can you get your people together for that?" — Fithian was modest about her role in the Sheehan protest. "I vary from janitor to facilitator to action organizer," she said. "There's not any one person in charge." In general, she explained, her work involves "a lot of coordination." But Fithian's history suggests it is unlikely she is playing a subordinate role.

In November 2003, Fithian was profiled by The New York Times Magazine as she prepared to take part in protests at the Free Trade Area of the Americas meeting in Miami. As she did with NRO, Fithian demurred when asked if she was a leader of the demonstrations — she claimed that the movement was "nonauthoritarian" and "nonhierarchical" and had no leaders at all — but the Times was not convinced. "To say that Fithian is not a leader is an admirable political idea, but it's not entirely honest," the paper reported.

And she was a tough-minded leader, not at all a peace-and-love type. Her specialty was action; she wanted to break in, cut through fences, and shut things down. "You don't go to Fithian when you want to carry a placard," the Times profile said. "You go to her when you want to make sure there are enough bolt cutters to go around." Asked for a fuller explanation of her role in the protests, Fithian said, "When people ask me, 'What do you do?' I say I create crisis, because crisis is that edge where change is possible."

That sometimes involves breaking things. In an July 2001 interview with The International Socialist Review, Fithian — who told NRO she's been arrested "probably at least 30 times" — spoke of moving beyond the tradition of civil disobedience as practiced by Gandhi or Martin Luther King Jr.; her inspiration, she explained, was not so much those leaders as the anarchist movement in Spain in the late 19th and early 20th century. And that meant different ways of doing things. "Nonviolence is a strategy. Civil disobedience is a tactic," Fithian said. "Direct action is a strategy. Throwing rocks is a tactic."

"I guess my biggest thing is that as people who are trying to create a new world, I do believe we have to dismantle or transform the old order to do that," Fithian continued. "I just fundamentally don't believe it will ever serve our interests as it's currently constructed."

These days, Fithian's tactic for dismantling the old order — at least her tactic for the moment — is Cindy Sheehan. On Wednesday, Sheehan will begin her cross-country tour, winding her way toward Washington. And Lisa Fithian will be with her.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 10:04 PM

This is soft news in comparison... Do wish media equality, or do you want the Right to dominate the Whitehouse *and* the press?
Soft news my ass, and it has nothing to do with wanting the right to "dominate" the press. A little coverage of a larger, nearby rally would have been sufficient. But yet again, the media leftist bias is so damn apparent, it's blinding.

More people rode in a caravan to rally in support of our president than has ever been at the Cindy protest. So Cindy gets front pages and top story status on all major media outlets, every day, while the Pro-Bush folks (again, who outnumbered the Cindy folks and who drove all the way from California) barely get a blip on the back pages.

For most Americans who didn't even know that there were military families who support the was, support the President, and support the US, here's one of those blips...
In the sweltering heat of central Texas, thousands of people descended on this ranching community of 740 to choose up sides. About a thousand stood in support of Vacaville mother Cindy Sheehan, who's nearing the end of her galvanizing anti-war vigil outside Bush's ranch, and more than a thousand others arrived to rally in support of Bush and his policies in Iraq.

The "You Don't Speak for Me" caravan, which left Sacramento a week ago, was led by Deborah Johns, the Roseville mother of a Marine serving in Iraq. Johns has emerged as a matriarchal symbol, like Sheehan, and the two are stirring opposing philosophies on U.S. involvement in Iraq.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2005, 10:32 PM

Soft news my ass, and it has nothing to do with wanting the right to "dominate" the press. A little coverage of a larger, nearby rally would have been sufficient. But yet again, the media leftist bias is so damn apparent, it's blinding.

More people rode in a caravan to rally in support of our president than has ever been at the Cindy protest. So Cindy gets front pages and top story status on all major media outlets, every day, while the Pro-Bush folks (again, who outnumbered the Cindy folks and who drove all the way from California) barely get a blip on the back pages.

For most Americans who didn't even know that there were military families who support the was, support the President, and support the US, here's one of those blips...
You missed my point. A rally against a rally isn't as sexy a story as a rally led by a Mom whose kid died in Iraq.

Again, if you want to talk about the media as a whole being bias/left, that's a whole other argument.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2005, 11:00 PM

And what really happened:

Manufactured protest? nah. couldn't be.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2005, 11:05 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...river_arrest_1

harpton couldn't wait to get away from the staged protest. His driver was stopped after a 9 mile high speed chase at 110mph. (for non Americans, speed limits tend to be 55 or 65mph.) Sharpton hitchhiked to the airport.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules