Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > We should have had more hurricanes, but...

We should have had more hurricanes, but...
spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2006, 11:37 PM

We should have had more hurricanes, but there was some dust in Africa that stopped them. So the "Bush's USA destoys the earth and increasingly causes natural disasters" theme still applies.
African Dust Storms Stifle Hurricanes, Study Suggests - Yahoo! News

Westward swirling clouds of dust from the Sahara Desert might be putting a damper on Atlantic Ocean hurricanes, a new study suggests.

Researchers analyzing satellite data from the past 25 years found that during years when the dust storms rose up, fewer hurricanes swept across the Atlantic, while periods of low dust storm activity were followed by more intense hurricane activity. Hurricanes are fueled by heat and moisture, and it's thought the dust storms help muffle the storms before they fully develop.

Seems to me - if we're to believe this study - that the solution to preventing hurricanes is to sprinkle dust on African waters. That works for me.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2006, 11:53 PM

Innocent dust mites won't appreciate being caught up in this war on weather.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 11, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT
Innocent dust mites won't appreciate being caught up in this war on weather.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2006, 12:23 AM

It was el nino. Could be an off year. You have to extrapolate these kinda things over a few years. Just like some stocks go up and down but over 10 years the trend may be up.

Understand spacedfreak?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2006, 01:06 AM

So the folks that bring us the global warming myth accidentally forgot about el nino this year while they predicted more hurricanes.

Science is pretty accurate. Scientists aren't.

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
Seems to me - if we're to believe this study - that the solution to preventing hurricanes is to sprinkle dust on African waters. That works for me.
that the solution were that simple...

interesting study. seems like there's very good correlation between the storms and hurricane activity, even within seasons. another piece in the puzzle.

why is the sahara so dusty? why don't they grow trees or something there?
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2006, 01:15 AM

Wake me up when the puzzle is finished.

I'm gettin tired of all the revisions and backtracking when predictions are proven to be BS.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy

I'm gettin tired of all the revisions and backtracking when predictions are proven to be BS.
You've lost all credibility (not that you ever had any ) after defending a sexual predator and I hear it's not safe to wake someone during a long sleepwalk especially if they're wearing boxers.

Are you wearing boxers?

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2006, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by D. S. Troyer
You've lost all credibility (not that you ever had any ) after defending a sexual predator and I hear it's not safe to wake someone during a long sleepwalk especially if they're wearing boxers.

Are you wearing boxers?
( Last edited by black bear theory; Oct 11, 2006 at 02:21 AM. )
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy

What predictions are you talking about? You seem to make up arguments for the other side, and then get great satisfaction in shooting them down.

Long-term trends are pretty clear. But then there are people like you and spacefreak who say, it snowed today and therefore global warming is false. Doesn't make any sense, short-term weather is very variable.*

* Notice how I made up an argument for you, and then smacked it down completely. Your turn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules