Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Booting XP from a CD

Booting XP from a CD
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2008, 10:52 AM

Hello all,

Just trying to help out a friend with some computer issues - SP 3 of XP wouldn't install on her laptop, it just comes up with a blue screen saying:

STOP: c0000139 Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error

upon booting.

So... Does anyone know if there's any way to boot from XP off a CD? I'm looking for a way to copy her files off the HDD.

Thanks.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2008, 11:01 AM

From my understanding there's no way to boot on an XP CD that would give you access to copy files off the drive. You can only perform installs. That's why PC people have to resort to Linux live CDs or hacked boot CDs. I looked into the issue when my Dell had a Windows problem, and after failing to get my Dell hard drive to mount in Unbuntu I gave up. . . and ended up putting the drive in a USB enclosure and connecting to my Mac to get files off of it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

B Gallagher  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2008, 11:57 AM

Damn.. thanks for the quick reply though!

So, the only way to get access to the files on the hard drive if it's not booting from the install of XP is to use a hacked boot CD or chuck the drive in an external case?
iPhone 4 32GB Black

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 15, 2008, 12:09 PM

If your friend is using a Mac, remember that OS X can read both FAT32 and NTFS partitions, so if it sees that partition or drive, you can use it to copy your files.

If it's a PC laptop, then you may have to pull the drive (it's often nearly trivial to do) and put it in an enclosure or use an adapter cable (which does the same thing as the electronics in an external enclosure) to copy the data.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

B Gallagher  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2008, 12:19 PM

It's a PC... but she's wanting to get a new laptop. Hopefully this will help me convince her to buy a Mac!!
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules