Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > delay to ATI 9700 - why!

delay to ATI 9700 - why!
rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2003, 05:50 AM

The R350 is due in "more or less 30 days" according to an ATI rep at the Goldman Sachs tech fair, might the 9700 be a red herring?

RM

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2003, 06:33 AM

ati 9700 pro card is R300 not R350. Dunno about the delays, im interested in buying one for my dp800.

rm199  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 10:24 AM

exactly my point... perhaps the 9700 was never supposed to be released for Apple but ATI and Apple wanted to have _something_ in place and that something was a press release and an unorderable card until the 9800 or 9900 exists.

RM

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2003, 10:46 AM

It makes sense.

I hope it is true. Getting a previous gen card when the PC side is getting the next gen card sucks.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2003, 04:27 PM

Yep, the 9700 Pro Mac is not here yet, but the 9800 Pro PC version has already been announced.

rm199  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2003, 06:01 AM

Well some of the rumors were right then, 3/3/3 for the R350 to start hitting press releases. I must say that a powermac incorporating the 9800 pro with 256Meg would tempt me to make an immediate, but unneeded, purchase.

RM

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2003, 06:10 AM

Sorry, but there will probably be no Mac, maybe except for the dp 1.42ghz that will have enough power to get the potential out of the radeon 9800..

Even a GF4Ti scores lower on a Mac than on the PC.

I am interested in the 9700 because it's a completely other core and Ati has written the drivers completely from scratch for OSX. So id still like to see the benchmarks of this card. Then I'll know if it will make any sens for my dp800.

rm199  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2003, 01:45 PM

Doesn't mean I wouldnt want the thing in a powermac... but agreed it is unlikely any current (including 1.4) powermac could push the 9800.

RM

RyanG3
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2003, 02:30 PM

ATI is to busy with getting The Radeon 9800 Pro out for windows machines to bother with Mac stuff now.

-----------------------

That's it ATI, ignore Mac customers, piss them off by rolling out products as slow as possible, that way you can always use the excuse that the "Mac market is small". No, really, I wonder why, could it be that you treat the Mac market like crap. And you wonder why your Mac market is small and stays small.

-----------------------

Is the hardware THAT differant from a pc video card to a Mac video card, that it takes more than six months to come out with a Mac version of the card?? I understand the drivers are differant, and there may be some ROM on the card, but what is the big reason for the lag in releases??

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 05:54 PM

ATI has a separate group for Mac products.

DrBoar
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 04:39 AM

Quite a number of games is not even SMP and a G4/1.42 has a SPEC score as 1 to 1. 4GHz P4 so the current limitation is hardly from ATI but from Motorola

So while it may be annoying, I really do not care much about cards past the 9000 and 8500 as long as we still run G4s

When the 970 arrives I do hope that AI not only announces top of the line cards for the Mac but actually delivers them as well to Apple

GreyArea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 03:33 PM

I phoned Apple UK today: officially they don't know when the 9700 will be available. -Un-officially the guy reckoned end of April.

Discuss.
Jim
I'm Old Peculiar and so is my beer.

skwerrl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2003, 06:39 PM

i dont know if this is true, but my friend in long island told me that he saw a Radeon 9700 Mac Ed in the mac section at a CompUSA

he said it was not OEM

hes gonna go back just to chek, but if this is true, i'm just gonna grab my machine with a low-end gfx card, then swap it out

yes, i know this makes no sense at all, and you can give whatever reasons you have that contradict this, but he says that he saw a radeon 9700 mac ed

Eugene Fields
Mar 10, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by rm199:
The R350 is due in "more or less 30 days" according to an ATI rep at the Goldman Sachs tech fair, might the 9700 be a red herring?

RM
OKAY GREAT NEWS I Ordered a 1.42 Ultimate with ATI 9700 Jan 28 and was promised on or before March 12...

Well my Order Status reflects NOTHING(Open), But On A CALL to the rep.....It's In PRODUCTION for ON TIME shipment barring any test problems.

This would seem to tell all those, like me, who were worried that the 9700 was going to Hold Up their Order that we were , Led down a Garden Path , of Worry, for Nothing! All is Just PEACHY So Everybody just Button Up and be Patient! They ARE One the Way 9700 and all.

"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2003, 09:33 PM

Kick ass! Be sure to give us some benchmarks when you get it!

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2003, 09:46 PM

ATI pulls this crap with every new card.

Jazzphone
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2003, 10:27 PM

To Bad they make the Best Cards

coolmac
Mar 10, 2003, 10:52 PM

I went to the online Apple Store, you can't even order a dual 1.42gig with the Radeon 9700pro card yet, it won't let ya.

Eugene Fields
Mar 12, 2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Eugene Fields:
OKAY GREAT NEWS I Ordered a 1.42 Ultimate with ATI 9700 Jan 28 and was promised on or before March 12...

Well my Order Status reflects NOTHING(Open), But On A CALL to the rep.....It's In PRODUCTION for ON TIME shipment barring any test problems.

This would seem to tell all those, like me, who were worried that the 9700 was going to Hold Up their Order that we were , Led down a Garden Path , of Worry, for Nothing! All is Just PEACHY So Everybody just Button Up and be Patient! They ARE One the Way 9700 and all.

I Ordered 1/28. My Order was promised on or before 3/12. I was told my unit was in production...

Well I was jazzed my Unit was going to ship on time, But alas Ive been informed just now by Apple that the 9700 cards are not expected due till towards the end of the month. As I don't play games I changed my order to the Nvidia Ti. Im sure Ill be pleased. So That is the story From The Horses Mouth. I surprised to to be informed of this at the last hour, but perhaps they have just been informed of this themselves.

I might add that this is an ADC Apple Store order and the contacts Ive spoken with have been extremely curtious and understanding.
( Last edited by Eugene Fields; Mar 12, 2003 at 01:40 PM. )
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

Forum Links
Forum Rules