Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I picked up the 20" cinema display

I picked up the 20" cinema display
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 07:22 AM

All I have to say is its awesome

I posted a some questions a while ago on this forum on which lcd to buy and based upon everyone's input I was going to buy the samsung 191t but they have not been in stock at compusa or bestbuy so I waited and waited. Something of this nature I prefer to buy and pickup incase its defective I can return it the same day. To be fair I didn't include the cinema display because of the cost but Apple has reduced the price (a while ago) and I bit the bullet. Excellent display, I couldn't find any dead pixels. The fonts are crisp and the color is deep a lot better then my 17" apple crt that was getting long in the tooth.

Now I have the joy of waiting for my credit card bill to arrive

Mike

Jazzphone
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 07:43 AM

Great that you got a 20" cinema display, Buti really shouldnt have clicked on this topic because its making me want one even more, And I dont make enuff in a year to afford that :9

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 09:09 AM

You know I was comparing the 17" and the 20" inch at compusa with the intention of getting the 17" but I thought if I picked that up I would be kicking myself for not taking the plunge on the 20" I really like it. My 17 inch crt here at work is looking real sad and I can't wait to get back home

Mike

Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 09:32 AM

I've love to get one, but just can't stomach the price tag. I'm looking at these new ViewSonic LCDs. I might be able to handle $850 for the 19", but $1300 for 20"? I just can't do that.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Zoom:
I've love to get one, but just can't stomach the price tag. I'm looking at these new ViewSonic LCDs. I might be able to handle $850 for the 19", but $1300 for 20"? I just can't do that.
There's a LOT more real estate on the 20" than that 19". You could get a 17" for a lot cheaper than the ViewSonic 19", and get the exact same resolution (both 17" and 19" are 1280x1024. The 19" just has bigger pixels).

coolmac
Apr 9, 2003, 01:01 PM

Hey Zoom, check this out:
http://www.formac.com/p_bin/

Recently reduced from $1699!

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2003, 02:00 PM

Topic: displays
Forum: Peripherals

Thread moved

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by coolmac:
Hey Zoom, check this out:
http://www.formac.com/p_bin/

Recently reduced from $1699!
Okay, so this looks similar to Apple's 20" Cinema, right? Is it a 16:9 aspect ratio? It doesn't say, but I'm guessing not. So, in that sense it's different... but the Formac has a slightly higher resolution (Formac=1600x1200, Apple 20"=1680x1050).

The ViewSonic 19" (VP191b) is only 1280x1024. Hmmm.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 04:01 PM

I was just reading the specs on the 20" Cinema... the contrast ratio is only 350:1 and they didn't spec a refresh rate. Anyone know what it is? How does the underlying technology differ between the Apple displays and the Formac & Viewsonic displays (which seem to have similar contrast, brightness and refresh specs)? The Apple display seems to be inferior and yet it costs much more. Why?

The answer is probably typical Apple price gouging, though I suppose it's possible that the rarity of the wide-screen displays might account for the cost premium. Still, is it worth it??

geekwagon
Senior User
Apr 9, 2003, 04:42 PM

I was just reading the specs on the 20" Cinema... the contrast ratio is only 350:1 and they didn't spec a refresh rate. Anyone know what it is? How does the underlying technology differ between the Apple displays and the Formac & Viewsonic displays (which seem to have similar contrast, brightness and refresh specs)? The Apple display seems to be inferior and yet it costs much more. Why?

The answer is probably typical Apple price gouging, though I suppose it's possible that the rarity of the wide-screen displays might account for the cost premium. Still, is it worth it??
I own a Samsung 191T which has a spec'd contrast ratio of 500:1. I have looked at the 20" studio displays in the store and they look every bit as good as my 191T to me. Much better contrast than the 23" which as I recall is also rated at 350:1. As for the refresh rate, that is only meaningful on monitors when using an analog input. The Studio Displays only have digital inputs so no refresh rate spec is needed.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
I own a Samsung 191T which has a spec'd contrast ratio of 500:1. I have looked at the 20" studio displays in the store and they look every bit as good as my 191T to me. Much better contrast than the 23" which as I recall is also rated at 350:1. As for the refresh rate, that is only meaningful on monitors when using an analog input. The Studio Displays only have digital inputs so no refresh rate spec is needed.
No, I think you mean that there is no refresh rates for LCD's. Even if you have an old 17" Apple CRT monitor with a digital ADC connection, it still has a refresh rate. So, LCD's do not have refresh rates, and all CRT's do.

And something comparable to LCD's for refresh rates are their pixel response rate, and the 20" Cinema is probably less than 35 MS (just fine).

geekwagon
Senior User
Apr 9, 2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
No, I think you mean that there is no refresh rates for LCD's. Even if you have an old 17" Apple CRT monitor with a digital ADC connection, it still has a refresh rate. So, LCD's do not have refresh rates, and all CRT's do.
Right, I just took for granted we were talking about LCDs. That said, LCDs with analog inputs DO have refresh rates. It obviously isn't anything to do with the panel itself, but the analog to digital converter in the things can only handle certain refresh rates, and at least on the LCDs I have used the different refresh rates actually make a difference.

I type this while sitting in front of a Sun 18" TFT using the VGA input at 75hz. This monitor also supports 60hz and 66hz but text looks like crap if I use those refresh rates. I wish this one was new enough to have DVI.

todrain
Senior User
Apr 9, 2003, 07:46 PM

I love my 20".... It's working great with my PowerBook and my PC.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2003, 04:02 AM

I compared a Formac 2010 Platinum side by side to an Apple 20" two days ago and the Apple was better to my eyes. Maybe some calibration could bring the differences down to not being so much of an issue (or even reverse them - I don't know), but the Apple screen:

1) was sharper
2) had whiter whites (though ever so slightly blue - the Formac was almost yellow)
3) was sexier

The problems I saw with the Apple were:

1) not available in a DVI model (I've got a Powerbook)
2) fewer pixels
3) more expensive, a lot of this coming from the ADC converter
4) much shorter and less "friendly-sounding" warranty than Formac's

I *think* I'll get the Apple, but I'll have another shop set up the two screens side by side and I'll calibrate them and evaluate them then.

Hope that's of some help.

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 11:00 PM

I really love my 20" ACD. Picked it up a few weeks ago and each time I see it I'm still struck by it's design.

Beautiful colors and good HD rez.
"-Dodge This"

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2003, 01:58 AM

I'm biased since I own a 20" ACD, but I can tell you for sure that this is the best flat panel display Apple has ever released, period. You can calibrate until your fingers fall off, you won't get another to top this thing. I went in to my Apple Store to buy a 23" and left with the 20". Sometimes I wish I had never seen the 20", since I'd be happy and ingnorant with a 23". I imagine the other displays will get updated with newer panel technology soon, and then perhaps I'll add a 23" to my setup.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Sven G
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2003, 12:59 PM

Talking about 20" LCDs, a very interesting (and pricey!) new one is the LaCie photon20vision, at a more traditional 1600x1200 - it's really beautiful, IMHO :

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 02:28 PM

I currently have the older 22" Cinema Display and love it, but prior to this I had a Samsung. The Samsung SyncMaster line of LCDs offers outstanding quallity at a price few others can match. I had no complaints with the Samsung and only replaced it when I gave it to my Dad who was always coveting it. Unfortunately he hooked it up to a Dell (oh, the shame!) but that's a story for another day. The bottom line is that you really must look at the Samsung monitors, if for no other reason than comparison. The excellent 0.264 mm dot pitch means you get a very fine image, even if you're enlarging a photo for, say, Photoshop editing. Personally I find Apple's 350:1 contrast to be terrific and also their dot pitch (I can't find the actual number but some one said 0.28mm).

Every time I wander into an Apple retail store I'm drawn to the new 20" and 23" displays. While my old 22" is still gorgeous those new Apple LCDs are calling me.....
( Last edited by rambo47; Apr 12, 2003 at 02:36 PM. )

nana2
Senior User
Apr 14, 2003, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
And something comparable to LCD's for refresh rates are their pixel response rate, and the 20" Cinema is probably less than 35 MS (just fine).
35 ms is not that great when you realise that the latest flat panels are coming out with 16 ms response times.

Forum Links
Forum Rules