Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Where to Return iPod

Where to Return iPod
Coach
Forum Regular
May 12, 2003, 05:26 PM

Looks like I'm going to have to get my iPod replaced.

Although I purchased it from an area Best Buy, should I got to my local Apple store or go to Best Buy first?

I'm assuming Best Buy won't know what to do with it, and Apple will.

I'm just confused on what policy is and I don't want to wait weeks for a replacement. Perhaps somone at Apple has a quick fix for it.

Thanks

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
May 12, 2003, 05:42 PM

Walk into the place that you bought it and ask for a new one.

What is wrong with it anyway?

"Barwaraaawww"

Coach  (op)
Forum Regular
May 12, 2003, 05:51 PM

It's stuck between the login Apple logo and the exlamation/file icon. Resetting doesn't work and my computer no longer reads the device therefore a restore option won't work.

While it was attached to the dock, the power went, twenty minutes later it wouldn't play songs. After a reset, I saw the sad iPod icon and then it just turned off. Now all I get is the description above.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 12, 2003, 06:14 PM

Well, bring it back to where you bought it! It's broken, after all. Just about every retailer I know will replace BROKEN merch within 10 days no questions asked. Go do it now. My local Apple store replaced a 30GB unit for me 2 days after I bought it. It is important to do it NOW. Don't wait for any more pointless posts. Take it back NOW.

Coach  (op)
Forum Regular
May 12, 2003, 06:22 PM

Let me finish my graduate term paper first. Thanks for your advice.

coolmac
May 12, 2003, 09:13 PM

Best Buy's return policy for the iPod is 30 days from the date of purchase anyway.

Just walk into any Best Buy and look at their return policy on the wall.

Computers, Monitors, Printers, Notebook Computers, Camcorders Digital Cameras and Radar Detectors have a 14 day return policy with a 15% restocking fee if opened and not defective.

Everything else is 30 days from date of purchase with no restocking fee.

I know this as I just returned from Best Buy and copied the above from their return policy pamphlet I was given at check out.

Just walk in and exchange it for a new one.

Coach  (op)
Forum Regular
May 12, 2003, 10:23 PM

Thank you very much. I will do so tomorrow.

mwob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2003, 11:58 PM

The description of problems above are eerily familiar. Three days into ownership of my new 30GB iPod, it died a very similar and untimely death. Apple did accept it in return (as they should since I purchased it online. It took too many phone calls though). The hostage exchange is now taking place. When my sick and wounded iPod arrives at Apple they will release the replacement to me by FedEx. Clearly, for the impatient, like me, this is more painful than if I'd gone to BestBuy to begin with.

Reading these many discusssions it is disheartening to see that so many owners are experiencing this apparent iPod version of SARS (Sudden Audio Reset Syndrome). I hope this is not an epidemic with then entire population of new iPods.javascript:smilie('')

Forum Links
Forum Rules