Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Airport Extreme or iPod?

Airport Extreme or iPod?
Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2003, 06:46 PM

I have a small (but fun) dilemma:

I gotta choose between an Airport Extreme basestation + card for my PB 12" or an iPod (prolly 10 or 15 gig). Now the thing is, I have a 17" CRT that I connect my PB to, so I don't move around the house a lot. It would be rather cool to be able to surf in bed/in front of the TV etc.. Furthermore, I'll probably end up buying a basestation anyway because I'm moving in September and I'm gonna need a router at that point (unless you guys think that I'm better off with a wired router).

On the other hand, I'm falling in love with the new iPods... and I want one!

So the question is: which do you think I should get?

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 06:52 PM

Easy: both. Only don't get an AEBS. Get a 3rd party unit like the Netgear MR814 for like 50 bucks from buy.com.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2003, 07:24 PM

I agree. The airport basestation is slightly easier to configure, and it allows for external antenae, but for most people it is too expensive. You don't get any real advantage from having airport extreme vs. normal 802.11b if you are just net surfing and not transferring large files wirelessly all the time.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 14, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Easy: both. Only don't get an AEBS. Get a 3rd party unit like the Netgear MR814 for like 50 bucks from buy.com.
Exactly, I agree as well. However, I'd pick up a leftover 20gig iPod rahter than the new ones, and I have lots of reasons behind that, but pick whichever generation iPod floats your boat.

BTW, my local Apple Store has a few sealed 20gig iPods left in the back to those who ask for them for $349...nice.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I agree. The airport basestation is slightly easier to configure, and it allows for external antenae...
I don't know, I've played with both and can't say that one is easier than the other, honestly. You can even use genuine Apple software now, to configure one of the 3rd party routers: Safari.
The MR814 already has an external antenna. I think you'll find that those Dr. Bott "range extending" antennas for the AEBS are basically junk. The smart play, with an AEBS, is to just buy another AEBS and wirelessly bridge them.

coolmac
May 14, 2003, 09:06 PM

I'd get the iPod and the Airport or Airport Extreme Base Station and card on ebay.

Even if you have to wait to get the Airport, in my opinion the iPod is definitely the cooler of the two.

Hozie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the opinions guys! Although it doesn't make the decision any easier. The reason I'm considering an AEBS instead of a graphite one or a non-apple 802.11b product is that I do transfer large video files occasionaly. Furthermore, seeing as how my PB is AE ready, it'd seem like a pity not to make use of that capability and to future-proof my wireless network as well. Are there any non-Apple 802.11g routers out there that work well with Airport?

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 05:59 PM

Another small feature of the AEBS is that it allows wireless USB printing. No more having to hook up wires for that either.

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Hozie:
Thanks for the opinions guys! Although it doesn't make the decision any easier. The reason I'm considering an AEBS instead of a graphite one or a non-apple 802.11b product is that I do transfer large video files occasionaly. Furthermore, seeing as how my PB is AE ready, it'd seem like a pity not to make use of that capability and to future-proof my wireless network as well. Are there any non-Apple 802.11g routers out there that work well with Airport?
The latest issue of MacWorld (June 2003) has a review of several 802.11g base stations. The highest rated and fastest was the Belkin 54g wireless DSL/Cable router. The Apple AEBS was one of the slowest in their tests (although not by much). The Netgear MR-314 was stupidly slow (5 to 6 times slower than the others).

I recently bought an AEBS but I'm going to send it to eBay and buy the Belkin. I experience daily blackouts with the Apple basestation, so the 2 external antennas on the Belkin may help me out. Besides, the Belkin is $136.00. Also - I don't need the wireless printer support since already have a LAN print server and the Belkin has 4 LAN ports as opposed to the 1 port on the AEBS.

Keep the rubber side down!

Hozie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2003, 08:04 PM

That Belkin router looks interesting indeed. However, it doesn't support wireless bridging capabilities. Does anyone now if you can combine an AEBS station with a non-wireless bridging router? (i.e. the bridging routines would be run by the AEBS)

fhoubi
Senior User
May 17, 2003, 09:44 PM

Airport or iPod... I Suffered the same question exactly one year ago...

I decided for... Airport

Surfing wireless (first dial-up, now 3Mbit cable) is THE invention ever. Note that I paid much more for the snow BS than the BS extreme costs now. But I never regret it.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules