Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Problems with Logitech MX700 after 10.2.8...

Problems with Logitech MX700 after 10.2.8...
NeXTLoop
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 11:14 AM

Is anyone else having problems? My mouse is acting sporadic, it sometimes doesn't recognize mouse clicks, sometimes the scrollwheel stops, etc. It's starting to drive me crazy. Any ideas?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 12:12 PM

I'll try it later when i get some time to update my Ti, but I will be well pissed if 10.2.8 does mess it up...

Peace,

Marc

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by NeXTLoop:
Is anyone else having problems? My mouse is acting sporadic, it sometimes doesn't recognize mouse clicks, sometimes the scrollwheel stops, etc. It's starting to drive me crazy. Any ideas?
I found this post doing a search on mx700. I have been having a lot of problems with my computer--before 10.2.8 (10.2.6) and after. And I think I've finally pinpointed the cause as being my mx700. My point being that maybe your problems are more mouse-specific and upgrading to 10.2.8 is either coincidental or just exacerbated a potential problem.

My problems? In 10.2.6 I was getting kernel panics. And the only trigger that seemed to be the same every time (becase it would happen in a wide variety of applications) would be something as simple as moving the mx700 mouse or clicking with it.

So I did an archive-install of OS X. And since I did that fairly recently, the only way to update the OS was all the way up 10.2.8, which I did.

A couple days later, I was briefly logged into 9.2 and a click froze the OS so bad I had to reinstall OS X (since I don't have an OS 9 startup disk) to get my computer to function again. (Unplugging peripherals of any combination made no difference to getting OS 9 to load again, so I had to go with the reinstall. This might indicate that the mouse was not the problem, but read on.)

Again, I updated to 10.2.8 and since then I have had the mouse stop responding occasionally. The first clue for me is usually that the cursor won't move. Then nothing else (scrollwheel, buttons) will respond either. By unplugging the USB connection and replugging it, I can get it to work again.

But this afternoon I restarted my computer and it wouldn't boot up properly. I was getting the white apple logo on gray with the spinning gray wheel FOREVER. I turned my computer off and restarted several times, to no avail. I pressed option on turning it on once and it least I was able to see the OS X startup disc and select it, but again I only got the interminable gray screen of life.

So then I unplugged the mouse. Just the mouse. And when I started up the computer for the umpteenth time, OS X loaded normally and quickly. Maybe it's not the mouse. Maybe there are issues going on with my USB port. But it's either one or the other.

I have switched out my MX700 for my wife's MX500. It's plugged into the same USB port. Here's to hoping it will work without trouble from now on.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by NeXTLoop:
I didn't have any problems.

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
I didn't have any problems.
I really didn't like the Logitech drivers but I LOVE USB Overdrive (way more configurable and reliable). On my G5 with both 10.2.7 and 10.2.8 I have had nothing but perfection with my MX-700 and USB Overdrive. It's shareware so if you think it may be software just un-install the Logitech stuff and install USB Overdrive. If your problems persist it must be the hardware and at least you'll know where the problem is. The MX-700 is the best mouse I've ever used by the way

-Jerry C.

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
I really didn't like the Logitech drivers but I LOVE USB Overdrive (way more configurable and reliable). On my G5 with both 10.2.7 and 10.2.8 I have had nothing but perfection with my MX-700 and USB Overdrive. It's shareware so if you think it may be software just un-install the Logitech stuff and install USB Overdrive. If your problems persist it must be the hardware and at least you'll know where the problem is. The MX-700 is the best mouse I've ever used by the way

-Jerry C.
Thanks for the tip. My search earlier in the day led to another thread that mentioned USB Overdrive. I have downloaded it but not installed it. Do you know if I can use USB Overdrive with Logitech's drivers completely removed? That would be my preference. What do you do?

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Awimoway:
Thanks for the tip. My search earlier in the day led to another thread that mentioned USB Overdrive. I have downloaded it but not installed it. Do you know if I can use USB Overdrive with Logitech's drivers completely removed? That would be my preference. What do you do?
I would un-install the the logitech drivers first. I really think it's a bad idea having one piece of hardware with two drivers. And even if the drivers don't conflict it defeats the purpose of troubleshooting to not remove one problem before exploring another. It's been a while since I un-installed the logitech drivers but I seem to remember it had a nice un-installer that took the pain out of the process.

The really nice thing with USB Overdrive is that it allows you to have different settings for every application. I have it set so that when I hit the browser back and forward buttons (on the side of the mouse) the Finder will go back and forward in active Finder windows for example.

-Jerry C.

tyson.r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 06:22 PM

USB overdrive rocks. I never used the driver that came with my mx700 cos it dosen't support middle click.

Forum Links
Forum Rules