Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What to do? Busted my iBook!

What to do? Busted my iBook!
jbarket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 10:16 PM

My iBook just slid off of my coffee table and now the screen is jacked. It bends out at the bottom of the screen, and it's very, very difficult to open or close it... I have to push in about four different places to get it to move on the hinge.

I don't have Applecare. I've only had it since December. It's hard to use now without having a book behind the screen to hold it up.

What can I do? I'm a broke college student who can't afford another laptop or the insane repairs on this one

Weezer
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 10:25 PM

buy applecare, wait 2 weeks, report the problem

jbarket  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 10:45 PM

I considered that. Does Applecare cover accidents though? I know the regular warranty doesn't. Also, how long can I wait to buy Applecare? Is it until the full 1 year warranty runs out?

rsgunther
May 6, 2004, 11:58 PM

Applecare won't cover accidental damage; only a homeowner's policy or a safeware (or safeguard - can't remember the name) insurance policy will cover those damages. However, it depends on the type of insurance.

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by rsgunther:
Applecare won't cover accidental damage; only a homeowner's policy or a safeware (or safeguard - can't remember the name) insurance policy will cover those damages. However, it depends on the type of insurance.
And because you're a college student, it might be covered by your parents' homeowner's policy.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 07:21 AM

Check your visa card coverage.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

timmyH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 09:16 AM

sounds like you did what i did last week. If you look carefully you have snapped the screen hinge, by the sounds of it on both sides. They are surprisingly weak if pressure is applied in certain places. Thats why the screen sticks out at the base. Mine didn't even fall from very high. I had insurance and apple repaired it but it cost 560 quid. I have since ditched the ibook and upgraded to a powerbook 12in. Maybe try an official service provider nearby who may be able to repair it cheaper than apple.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 12:25 PM

...and all I hear from you iBook owners is that the iBook is more resistent when falling compared to the PB, all I would of had in this situation is a dent where as your iBooks have snapped hinges. I don't wanna rub salt in the wounds of the poster, but I still think both the plastic and aluminum have their advantages in situations like these, but you guys really shouldn't diss on the PB durability one bit after these types of stories. Just my $.02.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 7, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
...and all I hear from you iBook owners is that the iBook is more resistent when falling compared to the PB, all I would of had in this situation is a dent where as your iBooks have snapped hinges. I don't wanna rub salt in the wounds of the poster, but I still think both the plastic and aluminum have their advantages in situations like these, but you guys really shouldn't diss on the PB durability one bit after these types of stories. Just my $.02.
It is still a notebook.

And I agree with the sentiments about iBook vs PowerBook build quality. Your PowerBook would have been in 10 pieces after a fall of more than 3 feet.

I dropped both of my iBooks more than once and nothing ever happened. My friend has had an iBook 600 since fall of 2001 and takes it everywhere, and has dropped it repeatedly, and nothing has happened.

The last PowerBook that could take a fall and not explode was the Pismo. Which I also owned. I'd say it was even more durable than the iBook.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 01:53 PM

No thats where your wrong, the PB from a fall fo 22" (height of typical coffee tables) would have only dented, why would it break? It's made of aluminum it woudn't break just bend, it's not plastic (except for the bezel). Im usually with you on most arguments PowerMacMan, but on this one I gotta stick up for what I believe and I believe my Powerbook's hinge wouldn't have broken and all I'd have is a dent. Do a search on Sally F's story about her husband driving over her Alu 12" and her still being able to use it after.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 7, 2004, 03:02 PM

Alrighty, I'll back down since it really isn't very fair for me to say such things about the Al PowerBooks having never owned one.

But at the very least, we can agree on the durability of the Ti PowerBooks... or lack thereof.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 05:19 PM

Just as a "me too" post...
My 2001 iBook survived a 40" fall from a shelf on to a bare wood floor. I for one think the iBooks are very durable.

jbarket  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 12:23 AM

Yeah, I have to say that overall it seems pretty durable. My iBook took a hard fall before this and the only thing that happened was that the airport card came out just barely. It just came down right on the edge of the opened screen, and that was enough.

You're right, the hinges on both sides busted. Even if I could get Applecare and try and find a way to do that, I don't feel right doing it, so I disassembled the thing and used epoxy on the hinges. So far its working perfectly, and you can't even tell that anything was done to it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules