Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 8A268 In The Wild

8A268 In The Wild (Page 7)
SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 06:05 PM

The .Metadata folders were not present in Jaguar. They are new in Tiger. They contain no resource forks.

I had no choice but to allow Macs on the network, regardless of their droppings left behind.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by passmaster16:
ah, yes forgot about those...i've been submitting feedback to Apple concerning this since jaguar, I really don't see how Apple expects Windows admins to even consider allowing Macs on the network when they litter the shares with resource files...
Why not just tell the sysadmin to add those items to the veto list in Win 2003?

Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 07:11 PM

It's the OS's responsibility to make such files invisible... starting a filename with a dot is as close to a standard way of defining invisible files as you can get! On MacOS, Linux or Unix then such files are counted as invisible.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 09:07 PM

In case anyone hasn't seen, ThinkSecret has posted an overview of Tiger build 8A294.

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
It's the OS's responsibility to make such files invisible... starting a filename with a dot is as close to a standard way of defining invisible files as you can get! On MacOS, Linux or Unix then such files are counted as invisible.

Amorya
Maybe so, but the fact that those files exist. They still take up space. Just because they are invisible doesn't mean they are not there. In fact, I believe XP does not show those files by default. Yet when I turn on show all files, I see that they are there. I see they consume space on my USB flash drive. So to me, being invisible means nothing if space is being used.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 12:15 AM

Apple made it quite clear at WWDC that they have no intention of indexing network drives. If the .metadata files show up on them now, it's a bug that will certainly be fixed by release.

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 12:39 AM

When is my Windows PC going to stop littering every folder that has an image in it with a thumbs.db file? It is taking up space and it looks horrible.

-- Jason

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by jasong:
When is my Windows PC going to stop littering every folder that has an image in it with a thumbs.db file? It is taking up space and it looks horrible.
I'll second that.

mactropolis
Senior User
Nov 23, 2004, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by jasong:

-- Jason
Its easy to disable this to prevent it from created the thumbs.db file whenever you open a folder with por...err...images. Just go to Folder Options and in the second tab disable the "Caching of thumbnails" option in the middle of the window and that should do it. I'm not in front of my XP box so I can say the precise label of the option. Lemme know if it works or not.
Death To Extremists!

Lew
Senior User
Nov 23, 2004, 06:12 AM

Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 07:25 AM

Maybe so, but the fact that those files exist. They still take up space. Just because they are invisible doesn't mean they are not there. In fact, I believe XP does not show those files by default. Yet when I turn on show all files, I see that they are there. I see they consume space on my USB flash drive. So to me, being invisible means nothing if space is being used.
They should be there. They store useful information.

Windows leaves such files scattered around too, btw. I sometimes see them when browsing a Windows share on my Mac. But I don't go complaining about them on a Windows message board.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

noradninjav2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2004, 07:42 AM

We have the same issues here on our network of Mac/PC's, but who cares? The files are small, and if you leave them alone, you can browse everyone's folders more intuitively from each OS by having a better visual representation of what oyu are looking at. That being the whole point of having the OS create the files in the first place. Sheesh.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 08:56 AM

Maybe so, but the fact that those files exist. They still take up space.
Space!? How small floppies do you use?

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 23, 2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Busemann:
Space!? How small floppies do you use?
Try copying 100 mb folder to a usb flash drive and see how much space there is left, maybe my problem is that I format my flash drives using FAT, i do that so I can access that from both my PC and Mac, it seems that the .trashes and .ds_store files take more than a few k in size

I don't understand why it is a big deal to allow to turn that functionality off in an Operating System. I don't mind those files on the Mac side for metadata searches and folder views, that is fine. But why can't I have the option to disable it on certain shares or removeable drives? If I'm not looking to do a search on that media or maintain a certain folder view, why must that data be there?

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 10:45 AM

Try copying 100 mb folder to a usb flash drive and see how much space there is left,
I know I know! It's 100MB (or so) less than it was before you copied the folder over? (If you intend for this to make any other impression on us, you need to tell us what your results were/how big your flash drive was, etc.

maybe my problem is that I format my flash drives using FAT, i do that so I can access that from both my PC and Mac, it seems that the .trashes and .ds_store files take more than a few k in size
how much more than a few k? 100k = not a big deal...
cpac

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2004, 11:57 AM

So, has anyone "played" with the new build 8A294 Think Secret reports? It would be nice to see some more comments and screenshots, and especially video captures of the new DVD player in action . Being able to adjust color and size looks indeed awesome. Not least the ability to mark a film with bookmarks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
So, has anyone "played" with the new build 8A294 Think Secret reports? It would be nice to see some more comments and screenshots, and especially video captures of the new DVD player in action . Being able to adjust color and size looks indeed awesome. Not least the ability to mark a film with bookmarks.
Yes, teachers should be ecstatic about that and the "film clip" function.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Apple made it quite clear at WWDC that they have no intention of indexing network drives. If the .metadata files show up on them now, it's a bug that will certainly be fixed by release.
Thanks for pointing that out. Apple is not indexing the network drives, but the .metadata folder is appearing at the root of each share.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Yes, teachers should be ecstatic about that and the "film clip" function.
No kidding.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 08:50 AM

8A323 seeded...

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
Correctomundo!
Where does that word come from? It's not in any language I've heard, and Google only shows 668 hits...

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by cla:
Where does that word come from? It's not in any language I've heard, and Google only shows 668 hits...
From here?

http://www.desertmuseum.org/books/correct.html
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 11:59 AM

IIRC it was popularized by the TV show Happy Days... The mind is a tad foggy on who ('The Fonz' or one of the other characters) but I'm pretty sure it was used quite often in that show.

Pretty scary what the mind chooses to remember...

... EDIT ...

The Fonz Sez I'm Correctamundo!

Dave

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 01:23 PM

Other than 64bit, is there a list of specific features that will not be supported on G4's by Tiger? Sorry if this has already been covered.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

suthercd
Senior User
Dec 8, 2004, 06:42 PM

From Apple's site, www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/ has the overview.

Craig

MartiNZ
Senior User
Dec 8, 2004, 11:23 PM

All right, actually a question about Tiger again: is it (at the moment) easier getting to minimised windows, i.e. is there a key combination to bring them back up in general? I find it annoying in Panther that, for instance, cmd-~ ignores minimised windows, and in my experience it's only in iTunes that it is easy to get the window back - I was wondering if that could be done system-wide somehow.

Also with auto-updating type things - does deleting a song in iTunes automatically update the trash to know that it is not empty?

ntsc
Senior User
Dec 9, 2004, 10:05 AM

why not just use the Window menu which is present in most application to get a specific window out of the dock?
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
All right, actually a question about Tiger again: is it (at the moment) easier getting to minimised windows, i.e. is there a key combination to bring them back up in general?

No. That functionality doesn't exist in Tiger, yet.

Also with auto-updating type things - does deleting a song in iTunes automatically update the trash to know that it is not empty? [/B]
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't know the default behavior. When you select a song in your library in iTunes and press delete, does it actually delete the track, or does it just remove it from the library?

Anyway, selecting a track and pressing delete doesn't do anything to the trash icon, but then there's nothing in it after quitting iTunes, either.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 04:39 PM

That would be cool in Tiger, if you could use command-tilde to cycle through open windows, even if they are in the Dock. The minimized windows could pop up, like apps used to with the old command-tab. Or maybe an option to do it that way?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Dec 9, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by MasonMcD:
No. That functionality doesn't exist in Tiger, yet.

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't know the default behavior. When you select a song in your library in iTunes and press delete, does it actually delete the track, or does it just remove it from the library?

Anyway, selecting a track and pressing delete doesn't do anything to the trash icon, but then there's nothing in it after quitting iTunes, either.
Okay, well in Panther if you are in the main iTunes library in iTunes and try to delete a song (i.e. not from a playlist, which just deletes it from there) it asks if you want to just remove it from the list or actually put the file in the trash. If you say put it in the trash it does, but the trash icon doesn't update and if you ctrl-click on it it won't let you empty it. Going to the Finder and pressing cmd-shift-delete works, but the trash icon won't update until you click on it to open it, and prove to it that it isn't empty. The ironic thing is that this doesn't happen using iTunes on Windows .

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 07:53 PM

Cool - QT Player has gained the ability to capture video & audio.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=777

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 09:04 AM

Don't know if this is any use to anyone. Seems like it makes keyboard navigation a lot easier:

If a menu item with a submenu is hilited during keyboard navigation, the Space, Return, and Enter keys will now open the submenu. Previously, they caused the menu to close.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 10:56 AM

Pulp fiction

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
Pulp fiction
That word ("correctamundo") existed LONG before Pulp Fiction...

JB72
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Cool - QT Player has gained the ability to capture video & audio.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=777
This I don't understand. If you're playing it in QT, don't you already have the video? Obviously I'm missing something obvious (which is par for the course I'll admit.)

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 11, 2004, 06:15 AM

And what about streaming video? You don't have that file yet!

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
This I don't understand. If you're playing it in QT, don't you already have the video? Obviously I'm missing something obvious (which is par for the course I'll admit.)
I think it's for capturing audio/video from hardware - e.g. recording audio from the internal mic - or capturing video from an external device.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by MasonMcD:
Don't know if this is any use to anyone. Seems like it makes keyboard navigation a lot easier:
You can use the arrow keys for this already.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 11, 2004, 03:46 PM

I think it's for capturing audio/video from hardware - e.g. recording audio from the internal mic - or capturing video from an external device.
Could this possibly replace Snapz Pro??

JB72
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 03:52 PM

Ahhh that makes sense now. Thank you.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
Could this possibly replace Snapz Pro??
No, as it does not capture video on screen, but of a external hardware (if it's true).

Brass
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by eevyl:
No, as it does not capture video on screen, but of a external hardware (if it's true).
Or... Yes, as the screen can be used as a video source for pretty much anything else, with only the tiniest of hacking about.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2004, 06:46 AM

Yeah well, whatever, Tiger is over-powerful and can do anything, I forgot that.

Regardless, Snapz Pro X is much more than QuickTime on steroids.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2004, 05:13 PM

It'd be nifty if you could nest special folders in a Burnable Folder to create sessions or a multi-partitioned CD.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

adam1185
Dec 13, 2004, 06:56 PM

In spotlight news...I just downloaded microsoft's new desktop search which actually isn't too bad, considering it's a direct copy of spotlight, at least in looks.

Screenshot

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2004, 07:25 PM

Wow you weren't kidding. Is that for MSN members? Got a link?

Looks like it does time based indexing, I wonder if this is a new face on the older index service of theirs.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2004, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
It'd be nifty if you could nest special folders in a Burnable Folder to create sessions or a multi-partitioned CD.
How would this be useful?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

adam1185
Dec 13, 2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
Wow you weren't kidding. Is that for MSN members? Got a link?

Looks like it does time based indexing, I wonder if this is a new face on the older index service of theirs.
Heres the link http://beta.toolbar.msn.com/

It's actually quite nice if you have to use windows. I like it better than the google desktop search so far.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 15, 2004, 12:02 AM

How is Dashboard with a Rage 128?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
How is Dashboard with a Rage 128?
Like a snail nailed to the table.
Power Macintosh Dual G4