Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How To do RoundRects in Photoshop

How To do RoundRects in Photoshop
JB72
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 12:16 AM

Hi all!

I'm a total retard in Photoshop. That application is just greek to me. What is the simplest way to make my pictures have rounded edges? Can someone here walk me through it?

btw, I'm using Photoshop CS.

th3ph17
Mar 1, 2005, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
Hi all!

I'm a total retard in Photoshop. That application is just greek to me. What is the simplest way to make my pictures have rounded edges? Can someone here walk me through it?

btw, I'm using Photoshop CS.

here are 2 ways to get a rounded rectangle.

1-make a selection using the rectangle marquee tool.
then, go to Select > Modify > Smooth.
it will ask you for a radius...that means how many pixels round you want your corners. Play with that to get the desired result.
you now have a selection of a rounded rectangle.

"M" is key command for Marquee tool. if the rectangle isn't selected, click and hold down on the right spot of the tool palette--top left corner--and a pop up menu containing the various marquees will come up.

2-use key command "U" to select the shape tool. This is 3rd from the bottom on the right side. There are various shapes, the line tool, and a custom shape tool available. One of them is the "rounded rectangle" tool. This Tool does not make selections...it makes shapes, meaning you must create a selection From the shape after you have made it.

now...
your next task is using the selection you made, go to Help > Photoshop Help, and you will get a great reference tool, complete with tutorials.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 04:41 AM

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Another way:

http://www.absolutecross.com/tutoria...s/round-edges/
thanks for that link demograph- there's some helpful tips there.

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 11:16 PM

Awesome thanks!

Originally Posted by th3ph17
2-use key command "U" to select the shape tool. This is 3rd from the bottom on the right side. There are various shapes, the line tool, and a custom shape tool available. One of them is the "rounded rectangle" tool. This Tool does not make selections...it makes shapes, meaning you must create a selection From the shape after you have made it.
Now, can anyone tell me how to make a selection from a shape?

Forum Links
Forum Rules