Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > HD TV Frustration

HD TV Frustration
Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 04:26 PM

I'm about to get an HD TV and Satellite, but I recently found out very few stations and programs even broadcast in HD. So, is it really worth paying $9.99 a month to watch a few shows?

Also, I've heard, if I have a TV with an HD Reciever built in, I can recieve The Tonight Show, for example, in HD OVER THE AIR...free of charge! Can this be correct? And if it is true, will the audio also be digital and surround over the air?

This whole thing is very confusing to me, and I'm a pretty tech savvy guy.

Thanks!
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 04:31 PM

Well I'm no HD expert, but the HD pickings are slim, and to me they are not worth the $10 charge right now.

Here is some info about HD OTA:

http://bbauer.gomen.org/ota.htm

You can see what local stations broadcast in HD here: http://titantv.com

p.s. To me the best thing about my HDTV is the 480p input from my DVD player and from video games, progressive scan looks great on most DVDs and shows a big difference on the screen.

Once more HD comes available I will subscribe to it on DirecTV, for now I watch what is free OTA, plus I don't want to toss out all my SD TiVo's just yet.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Webscreamer
I'm about to get an HD TV and Satellite, but I recently found out very few stations and programs even broadcast in HD. So, is it really worth paying $9.99 a month to watch a few shows?

Also, I've heard, if I have a TV with an HD Reciever built in, I can recieve The Tonight Show, for example, in HD OVER THE AIR...free of charge! Can this be correct? And if it is true, will the audio also be digital and surround over the air?

Thanks!

It may be able to receive the HD but you need the proper antenna if you wish to watch HD broadcasts. These antenna are available at RadioShack. I know cable companies provide HD receivers some charge for them some don't if you have their service. If you feel you will watch HD then I say at least try it out and if you dont like it (you will though) cancel the service. Otherwise I would buy an antenna to try it first.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
It may be able to receive the HD but you need the proper antenna if you wish to watch HD broadcasts. These antenna are available at RadioShack. I know cable companies provide HD receivers some charge for them some don't if you have their service. If you feel you will watch HD then I say at least try it out and if you dont like it (you will though) cancel the service. Otherwise I would buy an antenna to try it first.
"First, a couple of general concepts about antennas. The antenna you'll need for HDTV isn't anything new or different - just a typical UHF or VHF/UHF antenna. Some antennas are sold as "digital" antennas, but they're usually just UHF antennas."

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 04:56 PM

Are you subscribed to a digital service somewhere, or are you watching everything OTA?

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 05:59 PM

Sorry for more questions, but here are a few more:

When are all stations required to broadcast in HD?

And technically, if you have analog cable TV and an HDTV, shouldn't the Tonight Show be in HD already?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2005, 06:16 PM

Sorry for more questions, but here are a few more:

And technically, if you have analog cable TV and an HDTV, shouldn't the Tonight Show be in HD already?
1) I believe it's now 2009. http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...-tv-usat_x.htm

2) No, because the analog signal isn't HD.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Flumpus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2005, 06:45 PM

It's worth it, depending on what you like to watch. If you're a big sports fan, you can get ESPN HD, INHD, TNTHD, and HDNET for lots of baseball and basketball games in HD, then most of the football games on regular network TV will be in HD. Also, if you subscribe to any premium channels (I get HBO), it should come with their HD channel, which is nice. To me it's worth it because a lot of what I watch is in HD right now, but if you like watching stuff on smaller channels (not the big four networks, HBO, TNT, ESPN, etc...), then it's probably not worth it.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 07:06 PM

Thanks!
I have a TURK55 antenna hooked into an eyeTV 500 > FireWire > G4/933 QS > 23" Cinema HD. Get more channels than I had with analog antenna now.

nerd
Senior User
Jul 19, 2005, 09:24 PM

December 31, 2006 is the deadline for broadcast stations. That is when are they required to transmit in digital only (shut off the analog). There is no requirement saying a broadcast has to be encoded in 1080i, 720p, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if this deadline is pushed back again.

Every day you see more and more HD content and there will be more to come. When I got my HD set about 3 years ago there was less but a lot of that is changing every day. Most of ABC primetime is in HD. I haven't looked at other networks for theirs but I would assume the same.

That said, HD is worth it to me for the $10 extra that DirecTV offers. I have never second guessed it. DirecTV also bought Voom (think it was their name) so they should be having a lot more HD coming. The current leader is Dish Network for HD channels. I think they have about twice or more then DirecTV.

Any analog VHF/UHF TV antenna will work with HD stations. When the stations give back part of the spectrum to the FCC then some will be switching the digital transmission to the old analog channel. I would get a VHF/UHF antenna for this reason.

Oh yea, you also can start renting wide screen movies and watch them. It makes the movies a lot better even though their not HD. Make sure you get the Dolby sound to go with it. Otherwise, what's the point of HD.

Brad

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 10:03 PM

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx will tell you what stations and networks are available at your address and what kind of antenna you need for over the air reception.
Your cable provider will have several levels of participation each with its own price. Titantv.com and Zap2it.com will give you an overview. Local channels will not be encrypted but will require a QAM cable tuner in your tv or a an extra cost cable box to receive via cable. The deadline for digital transmission will be changed by Congress to 2008 or so shortly.
Satellite, may transmit a compressed HD that is not quite as good as over the air. Surround sound is overrated for all shows except movies that are made for it. Read the March 2005 Consumer Reports for ratings and discussions of all kinds of HDTVs. A surround sound box should have connections for both the tv, the dvd, and the next generation dvd coming next year. sam

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 10:08 PM

Here in the DC area Comcast offers HD for all the major networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX) - in addition, I also get INHD (2 channels), ESPN, TNT, HBO, SHO, Cinemax, STARZ, Comcast sports, Discovery, WB and some PBS stations (go figure)....

So the programming is there... just whether your provider carries it.

The problem I'm finding is that most sports events are still not HD.. NASCAR is the only one I know that's pretty consistantly in HD - (oh joy...). But MNF is in HD.. and that rocks!!

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2005, 11:00 PM

It should be said that the 2006 cutoff refers to DIGITAL BROADCASTING NOT HDTV. Just because a station broadcasts in digital doesn't mean they'll be carrying HDTV.

You can get dishnet's "HD Only" for $25 a month I think, but you have to buy your equipment outright to get it that cheap, then again voom + the dishnet HD stuff aint too bad, add in free OTA (if you set it up), and you'll have a bunch of HD channels
Aloha

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by nerd
That said, HD is worth it to me for the $10 extra that DirecTV offers. I have never second guessed it. DirecTV also bought Voom (think it was their name) so they should be having a lot more HD coming. The current leader is Dish Network for HD channels. I think they have about twice or more then DirecTV.
DirecTV has the worst HD offerings in the industry right now.

They didn't buy voom either, Cablevision did and still does own voom but the satellite itself is being taken over by echostar (dish net), and they do carry the voom channels right now

Doesn't mean that voom won't make it onto DirecTV, but since Fox and Cablevision don't go together, I doubt you'll see it either -- expect the Fox 21

<personal flame bait> I have this grudge against murdoch and the religious right news network AKA Faux News to the point I'd rather have Cox cable than them</PFB>
Aloha

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2005, 11:15 PM

We decided not to get the DishNet HD offerings when we got our HDTV last winter. It just wasn't worth the $10/month for the 6 channels. OTA is more than enough for us (FOX, CBS, NBC, PBS, WB, ABC and UPN). Our NBC and PBS stations are multicasting too.

As for an antenna, we just used the one on our roof that the previous owner of the house (10 years ago) left. It picked up all the HD stations with just about 100% signal strength for all.

nerd
Senior User
Jul 20, 2005, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Link
DirecTV has the worst HD offerings in the industry right now.

They didn't buy voom either, Cablevision did and still does own voom but the satellite itself is being taken over by echostar (dish net), and they do carry the voom channels right now
Thanks for the clarification.

b

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 01:02 AM

DirecTV has exclusive rights to the NFL Sunday Ticket stuff though. You can get a ton of NFL games every weekend in HD

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
DirecTV has exclusive rights to the NFL Sunday Ticket stuff though. You can get a ton of NFL games every weekend in HD
That's true.....

If you like sports
Aloha

vinster
Senior User
Jul 20, 2005, 01:45 AM

I haven't read through the replies to this thread but have HDTV so wanted to let you know what I found:

- There are quite a few local HDTV/digital broadcasts (at least here in Denver)
- The quality of HDTV is much better. It's worth getting!
- HDTV's even improve the standard (480i) broadcasts by converting them to progressive scan (this is built into the TV and called the 'pulldown' function).
- You can hook up a computer such as the mini and play DVD's at the screen's native resolution. This gives you an amazing picture.
- The HDTV satellite package I subscribe to (DirecTV) isn't really worth it IMO (I do need their box to get locals as my Sharp AQUOS 32" LCD doesn't have a built-in ATSC tuner). If possible, get a HD movie channel or two instead of the normal HD package - get something though, you'll want to watch HD broadcasts, especially when you first get your TV.

Finally, I found there's a lot of stuff to know about HDTV that you won't necessarily find out about until you own one. For example, you need a 45" LCD HDTV to watch 1080i broadcasts at full resolution. The smaller models convert down to 720p. Plasmas would have to be even larger to reach the 1920x1080 pixel count.

I recommend getting one though. Just make sure you get a decent-quality model (I prefer LCD technology).
( Last edited by vinster; Jul 20, 2005 at 09:39 AM. )

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 03:54 AM

Thanks!
I got a 30" Sony HDTV last week (a huge, bulky CRT). Would love to go bigger and flatter but my wallet and apartment aren't big enough! Just a HDTV with built-in HD/digital receiver is hundreds more (which is why I got an "HD ready" set). Be warned, regular analog TV looks horrid on an HDTV.

I can't comment for Satellite, but over here I just today got the Motorola cable box from Comcast, which is $5 on top of my cable bill. I only subscribe to Limited Basic (no digital) which gets me FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS in HD (when programming is available—otherwise those channels still look leagues better than everything else).

Believe me, the picture quality alone is 100% worth it, but there's another important bonus: the box includes digital (coaxial and optical) audio output, so if you have surround sound speakers you get DD5.1 sound (not all programming has this, but stereo still sounds better this way too).

Today I watched Law & Order: SVU, The Tonight Show, and right now I'm watching Late Night with Conan O'Brien in HD. Law & Order had 5.1 audio, the other two stereo. CSI and other shows are available in HD (I'm curious to find out the rest of what's available too).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 04:05 AM

BTW if you want to check out all the crap about satellite tv, check out www.satelliteguys.us .. they have a good forum
Aloha

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 05:02 AM

Thanks!
Nope. No. Nope. And no. I have it with Cox and I am NOT impressed.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar
p.s. To me the best thing about my HDTV is the 480p input from my DVD player...
You can also get an upconverting DVD player that pumps your DVD signal to 720p/1080i. I recently got one of these and, while it's not true HD, it does really make a difference. I set up a new 32-inch LCD last night and was testing by switching back and forth between 480p and 1080i; the upconverted signal looked fantastic. You need a set with an HDMI input, though (you can find some older models that do the upconversion via component).

I got HD cable from Comcast as soon as it became available in my area. Although the selection was very limited at first, I figured the only way to let broadcasters know there's a demand for the service is to subscribe to it. Otherwise they'll whine about the low number of users as an excuse to delay the switch.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2005, 09:23 AM

My input: Until most movies are offered in HD, I'm not buying a HD TV. My 7 year old SD TV works just fine.

If HD DVDs were offered via Netflix/Blockbuster, I would already own one. For me, HD is like having a amazing sportscar that you can't drive on the street. Without the media to back it up, it's not so amazing. Thank GOD people are buying them... because I want HD to take off.

NOTE: I'm not a big sports fan, if I was, I would probably have a HD TV already. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE HD, but it's just not for me... yet...

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 10:30 AM

Can you get NFL in HD with Dish Network?

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by vinster
I haven't read through the replies to this thread but have HDTV so wanted to let you know what I found:

- There are quite a few local HDTV/digital broadcasts (at least here in Denver)
- The quality of HDTV is much better. It's worth getting!
- HDTV's even improve the standard (480i) broadcasts by converting them to progressive scan (this is built into the TV and called the 'pulldown' function).
- You can hook up a computer such as the mini and play DVD's at the screen's native resolution. This gives you an amazing picture.
- The HDTV satellite package I subscribe to (DirecTV) isn't really worth it IMO (I do need their box to get locals as my Sharp AQUOS 32" LCD doesn't have a built-in ATSC tuner). If possible, get a HD movie channel or two instead of the normal HD package - get something though, you'll want to watch HD broadcasts, especially when you first get your TV.

Finally, I found there's a lot of stuff to know about HDTV that you won't necessarily find out about until you own one. For example, you need a 45" LCD HDTV to watch 1080i broadcasts at full resolution. The smaller models convert down to 720p. Plasmas would have to be even larger to reach the 1920x1080 pixel count.

I recommend getting one though. Just make sure you get a decent-quality model (I prefer LCD technology).
Do you know the exact size of the TVs of the LCD's and Plasma's for the 1080p?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 10:46 AM

Can you get NFL in HD with Dish Network?
Nope, DirecTV bought the exclusive rights (apart from the games on ESPNHD of course)

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
I got a 30" Sony HDTV last week (a huge, bulky CRT). Would love to go bigger and flatter but my wallet and apartment aren't big enough! Just a HDTV with built-in HD/digital receiver is hundreds more (which is why I got an "HD ready" set). Be warned, regular analog TV looks horrid on an HDTV.

I can't comment for Satellite, but over here I just today got the Motorola cable box from Comcast, which is $5 on top of my cable bill. I only subscribe to Limited Basic (no digital) which gets me FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS in HD (when programming is available—otherwise those channels still look leagues better than everything else).

Believe me, the picture quality alone is 100% worth it, but there's another important bonus: the box includes digital (coaxial and optical) audio output, so if you have surround sound speakers you get DD5.1 sound (not all programming has this, but stereo still sounds better this way too).

Today I watched Law & Order: SVU, The Tonight Show, and right now I'm watching Late Night with Conan O'Brien in HD. Law & Order had 5.1 audio, the other two stereo. CSI and other shows are available in HD (I'm curious to find out the rest of what's available too).
For more info on what's on HD in your area, check out www.titantv.com. They have a nice little guide that will show you the digital broadcasts in your area and which shows from those broadcasts are done in HD.

And if you're a sports fan, check out www.hdsportsguide.com. An awesome website that outlines the sports for the coming week.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 10:54 AM

Nope, DirecTV bought the exclusive rights (apart from the games on ESPNHD of course)
So Dish Network has more HD programs, but DirecTV has the NFL. What programs does Dish Network get that DirecTV doesn't have? They both have the same stations (or pretty close).

How can DirecTV have the rights to NFL if I can get it via antenna OTA in HD?
( Last edited by Webscreamer; Jul 20, 2005 at 11:03 AM. )

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 10:56 AM

Someday, when every station is forced to broadcast in HD, satellite and cable companies will not be able to charge more to get HD, because you will get better quality TV with just an antenna on all stations. Thus HD would be the standard and why would you have to pay more for it then?

Am I off my rocker?

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 11:10 AM

Webscreamer: If your location is correct, you should be able to receive most local stuff over the air. As I said above, http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx will tell you exactly which channels you can receive and exactly what kind of antenna you need! Your library should have the March 2005 issue of Consumer Reports to check the ratings of different sets. For screen size, the NY Times once ran an article with a good method for measurement. Go to a movie and hold your closed hand at arms length with one eye closed. Measure the width of the screen when sitting at a comfortable viewing distance in units of "fist widths". Sit in your home at your tv viewing distance and measure the equivalent width in inches. Remembering that HD tvs are 16 wide by 9 high, sizes are measured as diagonals, and the Pythagorean formula, you can compute the ideal movie screen equivalent tv for your house. sam

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by SVass
Webscreamer: If your location is correct, you should be able to receive most local stuff over the air. As I said above, http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx will tell you exactly which channels you can receive and exactly what kind of antenna you need! Your library should have the March 2005 issue of Consumer Reports to check the ratings of different sets. For screen size, the NY Times once ran an article with a good method for measurement. Go to a movie and hold your closed hand at arms length with one eye closed. Measure the width of the screen when sitting at a comfortable viewing distance in units of "fist widths". Sit in your home at your tv viewing distance and measure the equivalent width in inches. Remembering that HD tvs are 16 wide by 9 high, sizes are measured as diagonals, and the Pythagorean formula, you can compute the ideal movie screen equivalent tv for your house. sam
Thanks for the link, but i'm not gonna do it over antenna...seems like a lot of hassle and unknown results. I'm choosing between Dish Network, DirecTV, or possibly cable.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 11:42 AM

Watch Battle Star Galactica in High def and you will shell out $10 a month for sure.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 11:55 AM

So Dish Network has more HD programs, but DirecTV has the NFL. What programs does Dish Network get that DirecTV doesn't have? They both have the same stations (or pretty close).
There is an extra cost service with multiple channels that carries all games that apparently is on DirecTV.

How can DirecTV have the rights to NFL if I can get it via antenna OTA in HD?
Satellite companies and others compress video and audio using MPEG-2 to conserve bandwidth. Compression levels vary for each service. Your set top box receiver decompresses the result; therefore, HDTV is not equal between services. Comcast and other cable companies also compress differently in different areas of the country. So, the only way to determine picture quality is to compare it directly. This whole subject is similar to comparing PCs and Macs. The term HDTV is used by advertisers in a fashion similar to computer clock speed and automotive horsepower. They have destroyed its original meaning. sam

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 03:09 PM

PS for all Mac owners:
If you buy a new HDTV, make sure that the tuner has a firewire output as this should/will carry an MPEG-2 version of the audio and video. Software can enable both the recording and display of your signal. You may even be able to burn the output to dvd. sam

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the link, but i'm not gonna do it over antenna...seems like a lot of hassle and unknown results. I'm choosing between Dish Network, DirecTV, or possibly cable.
If you aren't going to use OTA for the locals, I think you have to go with cable (although it might vary since you are in Chicago [being a big market and all]). I know here in StL, the DishNet HD receiver has a place where you plug in an antenna and thats how you get OTA HD. But the cable company here puts the locals with their HD package. So be sure to call and make sure that the satellite and cable companies offer the local HDs.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 04:03 PM

I went out and got myself a copy of Consumer Reports March 2005 edition from the library today. In the satellite section it said "DirecTV and Dish Network offer most of the same channels as cable, but little broadcast-network HD."

Does this mean when CSI is on, for example, I will not get that in HD version with Satellite HD? I know I can get local broadcast on satellite here, so is that what they are talking about?

Thanks for helping with all my little questions ;-)

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 04:23 PM

Does this mean when CSI is on, for example, I will not get that in HD version with Satellite HD? I know I can get local broadcast on satellite here, so is that what they are talking about?
AFAIK my locals are broadcast in (some form of) HD. I think it would depend on the area.
Right now DirecTV is moving to MPEG4 compression instead of MPEG2 they currently use, this means a lot of smoke is in the air for Satellite HD right now. With MPEG4 they will be able to deliver more HD content with the current bandwidth they have, they should also have more satellites to give more bandwidth to HD. It is still very young, but lets face it more is coming. The only thing I worry about is shelling $600 put for a HD TiVo and then being obsolete when I need to receive MPEG4. (And I know I will void the warranty by upgrading it in the first week)

Furthermore, the content they do have is usually not even pure HD, check out the HD Receiver section on www.tivocommunity.com for some ongoing discussions about the poor HD quality.
I know Discovery HD was cut down to 1280x1080i recently. There is only so much bandwidth right now.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Watch Battle Star Galactica in High def and you will shell out $10 a month for sure.
I didn't even know that the sci-fi channel HAD HiDef broadcasts!
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
My input: Until most movies are offered in HD, I'm not buying a HD TV. My 7 year old SD TV works just fine.

If HD DVDs were offered via Netflix/Blockbuster, I would already own one. For me, HD is like having a amazing sportscar that you can't drive on the street. Without the media to back it up, it's not so amazing. Thank GOD people are buying them... because I want HD to take off.

NOTE: I'm not a big sports fan, if I was, I would probably have a HD TV already. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE HD, but it's just not for me... yet...
Agree. I have a lot of friends with HDTV and sure, the picture is nice, but there's still too much lacking for the price.

Probably the biggest hurdle for me is TiVo. I rarely ever watch a show while it's on. When TiVo (or TiVo quality DVR) can handle HD for a moderate price I'll buy.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Agree. I have a lot of friends with HDTV and sure, the picture is nice, but there's still too much lacking for the price.

Probably the biggest hurdle for me is TiVo. I rarely ever watch a show while it's on. When TiVo (or TiVo quality DVR) can handle HD for a moderate price I'll buy.
Comcast rents a Motorola dual tuner HD dvr with lousy MS software for about $12 per month. Comcast also will have a product from TiVo within one year.

I have the heavy Sony CRT HDTV and I have one further recommendation if you buy one. Pay the dealer to deliver and install the 150 pound monster! I am thankful that I did. PS-I watch mainly sports, dvd movies, as well as Discovery HD and PBS HD. sam

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Bingo. I want HD quality, but there's nothing that will make me go back to TV without Tivo.

Once I can get OTA HD tivo recording without a subscription (like I now have with SD and my Toshiba SD-H400 and Tivo Basic), I'm in.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 07:11 PM

I've got two tuners on my big TV. The first (standard def) is a slave to the Tivo. The second tuner is the HiDef tuner. This allows me to Tivo what I want, and watch a second program in Hi-Def. :-)

(Also the HiDef tuner allows me to hear surround sound which otherwise the Tivo disables)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by driven
They don't in the US, however in Canada I think City TV does the broadcast and they have an HD channel and since the show is filmed in HD, they can broadcast it in HD. I think the same goes for Stargate.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 08:18 PM

Cell phones and TV ... the two areas that the USA is woefully behind the rest of the world. <sigh>
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SVass
Comcast rents a Motorola dual tuner HD dvr with lousy MS software for about $12 per month. Comcast also will have a product from TiVo within one year.

I have the heavy Sony CRT HDTV and I have one further recommendation if you buy one. Pay the dealer to deliver and install the 150 pound monster! I am thankful that I did. PS-I watch mainly sports, dvd movies, as well as Discovery HD and PBS HD. sam
That's nice. If I had Comcast.

We have two cable companies here and neither is Comcast.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2005, 09:15 PM

Cell phones and TV ... the two areas that the USA is woefully behind the rest of the world. <sigh>
That is simply because the infrastructure was set up years ago under an old system. Some countries are setting up for the first time so therefore their infrastructure will be of a newer technology. Picture it like leapfrog. The USA will get ahead for a while then others will be ahead for a while ... [/repeat]

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 02:23 AM

They have that show on the INHD1 and INHD2 channels every now and then. Not too sure about the Sci Fi channel yet.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 07:25 PM

Well, I went to the store today compared tons and tons of TVs. I picked one that didn't lighten the pocketbook too much and great picture quality.

I ended up with the Toshiba 46" HD DLP TV 46HM84. The picture looks great and has newer light proccessing chip than the competing Samsung DLP TVs. I'm also going to get a Dish Network tomorrow.

Thanks for your help everyone for pointing me in the right direction!

Forum Links
Forum Rules